lilyyy

PSA: Don't wear nail polish to the hospital!

[ Edited ]

Ladies, read this and save yourself the embarrassment!

I was in the hospital and they put one of these finger clips on me. (The surgery went well, yay!)

UniHingeHand.png

Anyways, they had trouble with the reading because of my many layers of nail polish. (Nail inc silver foil, Formula X oh! glitter, Nails Inc mirror glitter, more red glitter, top coat)

photo.JPG

Whoops! On the bright side, I got compliments on my fierce nails all the way to the operating room.

thesupergirl

Re: PSA: Don't wear nail polish to the hospital!

(0) Hearts

My doctors office always uses those clips they hate blue,green, and any glitter polishes! They are always struggling to make it work that I usually have to peel my polish off on one nail! Glad your surgery went well and hope you have a speedy recovery!

cyan8181

(0) Hearts

Must differ from hospital to hospital. I'm an Operating Room RN in a large, level 1 trauma center and I've never taken anyone's polish off.  Glad the polish was the biggest headache you had though. 

veronika23

(0) Hearts

They had to remove mine when I broke my ankle and needed surgery.  Hope you have a very very fast recovery :smileywink:

jojobe

(0) Hearts

When I had my first child the nurse made me take off my nail polish and ever since I try to make sure it I  off when I have  to go anymore. It's nit with the hassle to deal with taking it off there

shortstuff07

I wore polish earlier this week to get my tonsils out, and no troubles!  Granted it was only base, two layers of Butter London Buckie, and gel top coat.  But they are fierce!

shyvicki

Have to remember that one. I've had to get procedures done where I couldn't wear metal jewelry or even a bra with underwire in it (and underwire is a must for me).

When I was in high school and colored polish was taking off, I was wearing a blue polish. One day I was handing something to my dad. He noticed my nails and said "I hope you don't get into an accident while wearing that. You'll freak out the paramedics."

Missie772

(0) Hearts

I hoped that your surgery went well!!! And you were rocking some fierce nails all the way there!!!

Titian06

This happened to me.  They didn't say anything about nail polish, so I freshly polished my nails the night before.  The nurse handed me a couple of acetone wipes and had me wipe the nail polish off my thumb, index finger, and middle finger.  She was nice about it, and said it was to monitor oxygen levels by watching the color of my nail bed.  I now no longer wear nail polish to the hospital for surgery or tests just to be sure.

linda711

(0) Hearts

I'm so sorry - much more importantly, I'm glad your surgery went well!

linda711

How interesting.  I'm a nurse and that finger clip is a pulse oximeter, and it can show the level of oxygenation in arterial blood by using two types of light through your finger.  There was a theory that opaque nail polish interfered with the results, but many recent studies refuted that theory, and lots of devices now measure oxygenation in other ways. 

spoiledbrat

Glad your surgery went well and I wish you a speedy recovery.

The clip is to check your oxygen level.

Did they not advise you prior to admission to not have any polish on? Thank you for sharing this with BT, so everyone will know not to wear ANYTHING when having surgery.

lilyyy

They said no makeup, jewelry, contacts, dentures, etc. but not specifically nail polish. I had no idea!

mberteig

[ Edited ]

I've always heard that for surgery, they want nothing on your body, that means no makeup, no nail polish, no jewelry, nothing in the piercings, no lotion, perfume, powder, anything basically!

dianabt

Glad to hear you're okay! I made that mistake once and the nurse I had was super rude about it. =/  I just forgot! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
waterbaby1981

(0) Hearts

I've never had that problem....but now I'll be watching next time. :smileywink:

TrysBeautyItems

(0) Hearts

Hospitals always do that..remove polish.

Glad it went well, even with all those layers!

princesskat17

Aaah this totally happened to me! I got my wisdom teeth taken out and they whipped out the acetone and had to take the polish off of one or two of my nails. I wished I had known that beforehand because I was kind of embarrassed!

Hope you feel better!

bratknits

You're lucky they didn't whip out the acetone and remove the polish from that finger while you were still out.  They keep it around in the ERs and ORs for just that reason.

lilyyy

They probably saw the glitter and didn't want to spend 30 minutes scrubbing. :/

killahbabe

I've had that done to me when I had surgery as a child. I woke up and I was missing nail polish from ALL of my fingers! I guess they didn't want me to look silly with just 1 or 2 fingers missing nail polish so they took it off of all of them. haha.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 30 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • mberteig
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • spoiledbrat
    • waterbaby1981
    • cyan8181