IllegallyBlonde

Out of Curiosity (Please Read)

[ Edited ]

What's going on? I thought, at first (or hoped in vain) it was because it was Valentines Day today that all my friends have been missing. Is it the new layout (of our threads being hidden in OT?) Please tell me the trades, TSB's, and general debauchery won't be sent to oblivion! 

Over the last year, you guys have been such a source of entertainment, education, fun, and so much more (I don't have friends who are as into beauty and/or silliness as you guys are.) 

Maybe I am being paranoid and it was just Valentines Day that sent everyone scattered and missing (or maybe it's just a strike), but it makes me sad to think that BT will be totally different from now on.

Bueller? Bueller? 

tracygirl64

Re: Out of Curiosity (Please Read)

I agree with SydBristow, put off-topic back on the front page and let people choose what they want to see, BT! I miss the funny shenanigans! :smileysad:

YouAreAlways

(0) Hearts

Its so sad around here tonight isnt it?

killahbabe

[ Edited ]

As promised....

unillama copy1.jpg

tracygirl64

LOVE IT!!!! :smileyvery-happy: :heart:

YouAreAlways

Better than expected. 

Missie772

I think it may be a bit of both- Valentine's Day and the new layout.

I loved BT and now it is just not the same anymore. I miss the fun but I understand that it is off topic and this is after all Beauty Talk. I think it was just with the influx of new members and all of them asking the same few questions that made it bad. Then people were posting stuff about Valentines Day and going off off topic that people didn't care for and that is why it got moved off of the front page.

I miss it! Please bring it back!

DandyLionFluff

I think it was a serious over reaction 

image.jpgimage.jpg

YouAreAlways

10 hours later and I am still too excited about this picture. 

YouAreAlways

OMG. I can't even. 

YouAreAlways

Okay, can someone legit post to me these hijacked threads?? I havent seen ANY and want to know what all the fuss is about. (Honestly I am curious)

nebel

gosh i don't even remember them now.  There were like two or three last weekend that got people all miffed because a couple of old timey BTers posted a couple of silly pictures on questions from newcomers. 99% of the off-topic stuff was contained in specific off-topic threads.  It really wasn't the epidemic some are making it out to be.  Then there were the reaction threads calling out the off-topic posters, one of which got so out of hand and judgy and finger pointing and obnoxious the mods shut it down.  From my perspective, it has been a lot of making a very big mountain out of a teeny tiny molehill.  The people posting off topic images/threads were never trying to be malicious or mock newcomers (or current members, for that matter) and then the finger pointing nastiness started and the whole thing snowballed.  

DesertRose0706

Was it my Deyore posts?  I know I posted Deyore on a few new comers posts, but every time I recommended a "Deyore" product, it was a legitimate Dior product that would have worked great for them.  Sure, there was added sillyness, but I wouldn't call it "hijacking" anything.  Of course this might not be directed at my posts at all... I am really not sure.

killahbabe

By the way, I just want to say that I recommend Deyore for thread hijacking. Deyore helps you look your best whether you're hijacking or being hijacked.

DesertRose0706

46100871.jpg

IllegallyBlonde

Haters beware, I will never stop recommending Deyore!

jojobe

bvkdkd.jpg

SydBristow

I used to enjoy logging onto BT - the front page was like a news feed of the active topics (besides customer service) and a nice blend of makeup and the friendly, off topic interactions here on the forums that to me made Sephora's Beauty Talk amazing.  There are lots of forums you can go to where it is boiled down to just topical Q&As, BT was different because the wonderful people here could chat about a variety of other topics and yes, off topic was a way to build up friendships beyond just makeup chat!  :smileyhappy:  Per the post by Candace of BT administration (http://community.sephora.com/t5/BeautyTalk-Feedback/Off-Topic-Board-Update/td-p/1167503):

"This is why we created the Off-Topic thread; we hoped people would make friends, and if they did, then in theory they would want to talk about something else other than beauty! That being said, I can see how with the redesign of the site, all of the off-topic threads on the homepage may seem a little overwhelming to a person who is just browsing for beauty advice."

I am not sure for the exact reasons for the change.  Everyone is different and has different interests, and have topics they probably would prefer not to see in the feed: from comical posts regarding "Deyore," heart parties, to people wondering when Rouge will meet what their expectations might be...etc.  I always found it easy to scroll down through the posts I didn't wish to read, but it was nice to have all of the current threads at the top.

I'm not a fan of the new format, the front page does have more topics related to beauty but the character that made BT really special (to me, anyway) seems to be missing now.  Since I'm not sure exactly why the change was made except that it was based on input from some of the members of the community, all I can say is (as someone who tried to post a few funnies from time to time myself) it feels a bit punitive to banish the camaraderie to a place like the "customer service" section where you really don't see what's going on.  (Yes you can go visit there if you want with a few clicks, but when was the last time someone visited customer service?  Same setup.)  Just my own feelings and no disrespect intended - I am sure it's a lot of work monitoring these boards and you can't always make everyone happy.  So it is, what it is.

Anyway, I do love to talk makeup but BT for me is also an escape from the stresses in my life, so the mix of talking about my makeup obsession PLUS the humor made BT such a great place to visit.  It would be nice to have the option to choose what you want to see in your feed so we can individualize it for our own interests.

Urbie

good point syd bristow!  I did just discover an upside of the new arrangement though- I was browsing the main page and refreshed a couple of times/got bored and was about to log out of BT when I suddenly remembered...THE LOUNGE!  Yay, I can go have fun in the off topic threads!  It's like opening all your presents on Xmas, and then finding that Santa left you a Deyore handbag but it got shoved under the tree skirt by mistake.  

manniface

huzzah!

killahbabe

Syd, you said everything I wanted to say. Except your tone was much nicer than the tone I have in my head about this. :smileywink:

lilahtov

Bravissima, Syd. I used to feel like I could revisit BT after a few busy days and get right back into the groove of things. Now, I feel a bit like I have to resituate myself each time I log on.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 58 replies
  • 211 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • killahbabe
    • misscg
    • jojobe
    • tracygirl64
    • ChicDabbler
    • IllegallyBlonde
    • Missie772
    • Urbie
    • DesertRose0706
    • nebel
    • manniface
    • rdesigns
    • LadyInWhite
    • beethousand
    • SydBristow
    • DandyLionFluff
    • mychoi
    • linda711
    • ShinyMagpie
    • lilahtov
    • Teresaanne92
    • sparklekai
    • YouAreAlways
Photos14
  • stop+fight_437a91_3783682.jpg
  • babyinacorner.png
  • ohhhhahaf.jpg
  • bvkdkd.jpg
  • unillama.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • upload_8786108102671816055.jpg
  • drinks.jpeg
  • unillama copy1.jpg
  • 46100871.jpg
  • 1800204_10201545391061456_1601141515_n.jpg
  • We're Not Gonna Take It.jpg
  • i-m-not-going-anywhere.american-apparel-unisex-fitted-tee.white.w760h760.jpg