kimchikween

On a path for better work/life balance, first interview in 12 years

Morning BTers!

After 12 years in my current industry (professional services), I have finally made the first step towards a better work/life balance.  I love what I do, but the constant travel, increasing workload, and rising pressures let to a number of health problems and near breakdowns.  

So, I have an interview tomorrow morning for an industry job, but must admit, I'm pretty nervous.  I've conducted hundreds of interviews myself, but it's been a long time since I've been on the other side of the table.  It might be a long night for me as I complete tasks for my current job while researching and preparing for this possible new one.

Wish me luck!  I would love to hear your stories about big career changes and how you've been doing since.

On a beauty note: refreshing my hair color tonight and think I'm all set with my makeup -

• Face: Hourglass Mineral Veil Primer, Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, Bye Bye Undereye by it Cosmetics, Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Powder from Tarte, Le Blush Creme de Chanel in Presage
  • Eyes/Brow: Anastasia Brow Wiz in Caramel, Sigma Eyeshadow Base in Provoke, Tightline with Rimmel scandalEyes Waterproof Kohl Kaja in Black, Espresso from Loraco PRO, Foxy from UD Naked 2
  • Lips: Giorgio Armani Rouge Ecstasy in 202
  • Nails: Chanel in Starlet
  • Fragrance: Haven't decided if I will or not
kimchikween

Re: On a path for better work/life balance, first interview in 12 years

Wow - it's been nearly a month since I've been on BT!  It's been a crazy month, but I'm happy to say the interview went well, I got the job, and I start Monday!

I'm SO looking forward to having more free time - now, if only I had hobbies to fill the void...besides makeup, of course.  :smileyhappy:

Thank you BTers for all the support - you all are such an amazingly supportive community!

rainbowveins084

(0) Hearts

Thats so exciting CONGRATS!

hydee77

(0) Hearts

Congratulations on the new job and welcome back! :smileyhappy:

drrragon

congratulations kimchikween, that is really exciting news!  and welcome back, I was wondering where you've been lately (and whether you indulged in any of the new holiday collections!) :smileyvery-happy:

kimchikween

Indulge may be an understatement.. :smileyvery-happy: not so much holiday collections (though some) but catching up after a month+ no-buy

I may have gifted myself for getting the new job....I guess that's what the pay bump is for, right? :smileywink:

drrragon

so you're gonna let us live vicariously through you and post your hauls right???? :smileyvery-happy:  definitely, rewarding yourself with makeup is a MUST in that case!  

kimchikween

Definitely - I also got a free digital camera I can use to take pics!  I "cashed in" my kudos points (points-based reward system) and got a camera (and a Clarisonic system), so expect to see a lot of haul eye-candy next week.  :smileywink:

ghkim

congrats and welcome back! what makeup did you end up wearing for your interview?

kimchikween

So I already knew I had two interviews - first with a male...and next day with a female.  I used that first interview to scope out the office and the women that worked there - what they wore, their make-up, etc...  I was pretty sure the guy wasn't going to much attention to my make-up or outfit as long as it wasn't distracting.  I was equally sure that the woman would notice though maybe not consciously.

I don't recall the exact details (so much has happened since then), but some of the differences were:

Day One - Male Interviewer

• Nails - nude, clear..I didn't have time for a professional manicure beforehand so just made sure they were clean, buffed, etc.
  • I actually wore my glasses so had very simple eye make-up.  I look older with glasses, so I tend to wear them when I interviewer people myself (esp on college campuses) or when I meet clients for the first time.
  • a "your lips but better" cream lipstick
  • Chanel Cream Blush in Presage for a little color

Day Two - Female Interviewer (would-be boss's boss)

• Nails - professionally done French manicure
  • I wore my contacts - black eyeliner tightlined, curled eyelashes and it Cosmetic's Hello Lashes (very natural)
  • a little redder lipstick than the previous day

I'm heading to Nordies on Sunday for some "first day at work" make-up - :smileywink: esp because I hit pan on my Chanel Vitalumiere aqua cream compact

drrragon

this made me LOL.  so very BT! :smileyvery-happy:

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

Congratulations & good luck!

pearlgirl7

Congratulations!! Wishing you much success in your new position!

jellybean917

Good luck/I hope it went well! You obviously looked the part with some nice makeup :smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Aww sorry I didn't see this sooner. But I hope everything goes great for you!

AshOtto

(0) Hearts

Good luck!! I hope this new path brings all the joy and success you desire!

SydBristow

Hope it went/goes well!  (Not sure of your time zone.)  Please keep us posted!!  :smileyhappy:

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Good luck with your interview! Take a few deep breaths and go in with your head high. You'll do great!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
linda711

(0) Hearts

Good luck on your interview.  I made a similar change about a year ago, and it's the best move I've ever made.  I am a nurse, and was traveling to 7 states on a weekly basis in a corporate position.  I was spending less and less time with my family and the stress level was insane!  The interview nerves will disappear once you get going and you will shine!

LolaVal

(0) Hearts

Good luck kimchikween!  This is a very exciting time!  I hope everything will go very smoothly and you get the job that you want.   

SydBristow

Oooooo, sounds exciting, good luck! I recently took a big chance on a new job, similar work but way more responsibility. I had to really think about it, weight out lots of pros and cons (I literally wrote out a list!). Ultimately, I took the risk and feel I'm going to spend the rest of my career at this job, I LOVE IT!

Good for you for your courage in considering a change, sounds like it's time. I wish you the best of luck!!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 34 hearts
  • 21 in conversation
    • hydee77
    • pearlgirl7
    • aviscardi
    • dianabt
    • drrragon
    • janinebt