thesupergirl

Omg I just had the scare of my life!

I think I need a drink.  My phone rang and it was the fraud deptment for my bank. They said they saw some unusal  activty on my debit card and wanted to verify that I made the charges. Out of the last 5 charges I only did 2! I was freaked out! My card has been cancelled and reissued a new one with a different numbers and my bank refunded my the money it was almost $100.00! So glad I have fraud proctection if you don't have it get it! The bad news is now I can't place my sephora but I think I can wait but my cart might get bigger!

thesupergirl

Re: Omg I just had the scare of my life!

(0) Hearts

Now I'm not happy! came new card came in yesterday just before I went to work so I went to the bank today just to make sure everything fine because I was under the impression that they were going to change my card # but didn't . They told me everything's fine just call and activate my card I just went to and it said" Sorry we can't activate this card please contact your bank"! I tried twice just in case I pressed the wrong button but got the same message:smileysad:

Koofa

(0) Hearts

Yep, seems to happen far too often. I think we have to be extra careful who we spend money with online. Just happened to my husband a couple of weeks ago, so he had to get a new card (& got refunded by his bank). 2 years ago someone bought airline tickets in Europe from some airline I've never even heard of with my debit card #! I got my money back and a new debit card as well.

carrie1975

(0) Hearts

My parents got a call this morning. The credit union said someone tried to charge over $1000 in shoes online. The credit union declined the charges and called my parents right away to cancel the card. Just happens they were on their way to Vegas  for a day of shopping. I belong to a credit union in our tiny town and they always call when something looks fishy. Most of the time it's my crazy online shopping habits but I'm so thankful they are looking out for us.

hydee77

That's crazy!  I'm glad they fixed it so fast.  I have alerts set up to go to my email whenever my debit card is charged over $1.00 for this reason.  I have Charter One.

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

I use Chase Bank and get daily e-mails that lists all deposits, purchases, and bill payments from my checking account and transfers and deposits from my savings account. While I've been fortunate that I haven't had any fraudulent charges, it did alert me to a major goof I did.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I'm glad too mycoworkers were surprised that I got my money back so soon. I'm going look into text alerts.

thechicgeek

Unfortunately lilyyy has a good point its not uncommon for scandalous people to pretend to be from banks and credit card companies and try to scare you into giving out your info by saying your account has been compromised.

Just recently my mother received a call from the "irs" in reference to the parentals last tax return. It just happened that the call was during the government furlough! The irs like most government agencies were shut down. How dumb were these crooks! smh  My mother said she when she called the actual irs a few days later that the agent said that they had several reports of calls placed from that # and were following up on the matter.

I would call your bank directly to verify and for the future if they offer it set up online and or text alerts on your account to notify you when charges are made.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

I'm definitely thinking text messages might be a good thing right now

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

It was legit I went to the bank after I got the call and they confirmed everything and said they could send it to the po box. 

lilyyy

Smart on you for double checking!

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Thanks!

ShinyMagpie

Kind of funny story with my husband's bogus charges. One of the bogus charges was from match.com. When he called the fraud line at the bank about all the bogus charges she really gave him the third degree saying: "are you sure you won't have a problem with us investigating these charges because we can trace the IP address of the purchases". Basically she was saying "are you sure you didn't do this and are now having buyer's remorse because your wife caught you". It was pretty funny. I guess that must happen a lot. It definitely wasn't my hubby. 

carrie1975

(0) Hearts

My first husband did something like that. The charges came in and we were overdrawn on our account. He kept swearing it wasn't him. I had the charges investigated and the bank was the one to tell me exactly what websites he charged to and how many times along with "Would you like their phone numbers?" I was so embarrassed, you can let your imaginations run wild with what sites he paid for, I threw him out of the house that night. So yeah, it does happen and it's not fun when it happens to you.

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Lol that's too funny!!!

Missie772

I am so glad that they called you to work it out!!! It happened to me- someone stole my wallet at an event (how rude) by my house and I didn't realize it until we left and went to another bar and I couldn't find my wallet to get into the bar. I borrowed money from a friend to take a cab home and immediately called my bank.

They didn't flag any of the charges because it was all places that I shopped at multiple times before- like the Target, Best Buy, Home Depot, Walgreens, etc, that I always go to. As I was on the phone with the fraud department, they used my card AGAIN- since it was at a gas station (seriously 2 blocks from my apartment), I told the fraud department to send the police over there immediately- if not, I was going to run my butt over there to stop them myself! Even though they were caught red handed, on camera, with a license plate number as well, they got away with it because the police department had better things to do!!!

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Wow that's crazy😱 that's what alerts the fraud depmant was it was charges to hotels and a flooring company places I have never even heard of my bank did tell me that if they catch the I agree to press charges my response Hell yes!

glossyguru

That always used to happen to my mom when she would sign up for store credit cards. You have to be especially careful around the holidays, there are people out there that just want to rip you off

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Its sad that it seem like they are lurking even more during the holidays

roxystar4

i really don't like thieves

thesupergirl

(0) Hearts

Neither do I 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 29 replies
  • 28 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • shyvicki
    • hydee77
    • annonymous1
    • lilyyy