kimmi1115

Not Liking Tonight's Severe Weather!!!

Here in East TN and neighboring states, they are calling for very severe weather and possible tornadoes.  With the mountain terrain and whatnot, it is pretty rare for tornadoes.  Last April, the area learned otherwise.  When a tornado occurs in the mountains, it is horrible.  In my hometown, some touched down in the southern end of the county, which is pretty much at the foot of the mountains.  It was horrible.  I saw the pictures of the damage on Facebook, and I was shocked.  I thought the mountains were supposed to protect us.  My mom was at work during all of this, and her car had over $6,000 worth of hail damage.  It's been fixed, but she drove dad's Dodge truck tonight.  The car was finally fixed back in the fall, so not chancing that.  West VA was hit really bad last year as well.  A tornado touched down on the freaking mountain!  When I went camping with my boyfriend and his parents last summer, some areas of the campground were destroyed.  I can't get over how it ripped huge trees from the forest like it was nothing.

Last April, I was by myself at my off campus apartment.  I remember hearing the sirens all the way from campus, and I was prepared to camp in my bath tub.  When one warning/watch would end, another one was shortly issued.  I didn't go to bed till 2 in the morning.  I'm home now for Spring Break, so I'm glad for that.  I hated being by myself at the apartment at that time.  I was scared to death, and I'm scared of storms to begin with.  However, home is a double wide.  Although I think it's beautiful and whatnot, it's not the safest.  However, papaw (lives next door) has a basement.  If needed dad, the animals, and I will run over there.  3 of our animals are indoors, but 2 of the dogs are outside in the fenced in backyard.  We hope to drop the gate and get them to follow us. 

What really has me spooked (even more) is how my papaw's miniature chihuahua, Sugar, was acting when I went over there earlier.  Usually, she piles up on my lap wanting to be petted and whatnot, especially since I was sitting in her favorite spot.  She didn't do that.  Instead, she stayed in her bed and just stared at me.  I've always heard that animals can sense storms and whatnot, and Sugar is very scared of storms. 

Please keep all the states and areas in your thoughts tonight. 

@ssmittys  I know you've said you live somewhere in Kentucky.  If you're in one of the storm areas, please be safe tonight!

lowrah

Re: Not Liking Tonight's Severe Weather!!!

This week has been interesting.

Friday I believe it was 81F.

Today the high is 55F and it was hailing a few hours ago. Snow in northern AZ.

dianabt

@lowrah, wow 81 degrees? I'll gladly trade you... but minus the snow. :smileyhappy: I've always wanted to visit Arizona since its so HOT and sunny but a lot of people tell me I won't enjoy it.. Coming from fog EVERY morning let me tell you: YES I will! :smileyhappy:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
lowrah

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I was hoping for more 60's-70's.. and I guess I'll be getting them! It seems to go from 80 to 100 pretty quickly and I'm not ready yet. There's no snow in the Phoenix Metro area hardly ever. Every once in a while I'll see snow on the distant mountains.

My aunt lives in WA state and she really LOVES coming down here for the sun too! It's hard not to find something a person would like here. We have everything (except real beaches of course).

keelybt

[ Edited ]

Ok I'm going to be a stereotypical California girl and whine that it is raining and in the 50's all week!   For us natives, 50 is cold and anything under is freezing. My brother, who lives in Wyoming, loves to tease me about that. I know....poor me, right? But one thing that really stinks around here is people forget how to drive in the rain so every time it rains there are accidents all over.  I was driving to work this morning and it was a little before 5am and already there was an accident.  I'm always so nervous that someone is going to rear end me because they don't get that they need to leave a little more room in front of them when it's raining. That's probably my biggest gripe with the rain.  That and I hate umbrellas.  It's great while you are in the rain, but once you get to where you are going you are left with this wet thing on a stick. 

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@keely / @anaa: I know...I'm going to contribute my own whining, too, because I just left upstate New York (where it is currently almost 70 degrees and sunny) to fly back to a forecast of 5 days of rain (I know, I know, we need it). Even at home, though (Pittsburgh), where it DOES snow, and where we are used to snow, and to driving in it, people still seem to forget...every year. I will also add that despite living in that kind of climate for most of my life, anything under 50 is now freezing to me, too -- I think your blood must thin, because I'm *always* cold in SF, but when it hits 50 degrees in February in many cities on the east coast, it's somehow time to many people to break out the spring coats / shorts.

also @keeley, re: previous post: Yes, I felt both 4.0s, one in my office (which was scarier than at home -- I didn't feel it as much, but the building definitely shook) and one at my apartment. Maybe I'm just super sensitive -- if you're a native Californian, maybe they aren't such a big a deal (or maybe it was where you were at the time)?

One more gripe about umbrellas: I feel like in SF (and other places, too), they really only help to protect your hair, if you're lucky. Otherwise, you still get soaked, umbrella or no umbrella -- pants, bags, etc. -- the rain doesn't seem to miss anything :smileyhappy:

anaa

Same thing happens here in NJ when it snows Keely...we don't get a lot, actually none this winter, but when we do many people forget to make the adjustments for not driving on a dry surface!

keelybt

[ Edited ]

@Anaa Yeah, I guess that will happen in places that have more people on the road.  There always has to be that one person that doesn't get it. I've never driven in the snow, but I imagine the same rules apply, only go as fast as is safe and leave enough room in front of you so you don't have to slam on your brakes.

@Katie1724 I think we were teased with the nice weather last week. :smileywink: It is a little unusual to have an entire week of rain.  With the earthquake, it definitely depends where you are and it sounds like everyone in the city felt it.  I live 20 miles south and I don't think anyone in my area felt it.  As a native, I'm pretty used to it and unless it is over 6.0, it doesn't bother me.

dianabt

As a reply to Katie regarding umbrellas.. case in point: TODAY. 

My umbrella did me no good but to semi-protect my hair but even then I kept a hat on over my hair before the frizz monster overtook it. I sat on the bus to work today and was drenched due to holding my purse and laptop bag, and the girl in front of me who's wet umbrella in her hand conveniently had to rest on my knee while she stood. *sigh* sweater, pants, shoes.. the rain finds a way to get around all that! Even the cars going past cause more wind to make the umbrellas fly upwards and there goes the whole thing.. 

Sometimes I'd rather take the earthquake (small ones!) over the ridiculous rain we can have here.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
katie1724

@diana: YES! The rain seemed to be blowing sideways this morning! Randomly, I also walked RIGHT into a huge traffic cone in the muni station, and I was so startled I then tripped and fell over it (and into the lake-sized puddle it was blocking). I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't see the BRIGHT ORANGE cone because I was watching Downton Abbey on my phone -- and while I usually never walk and watch anything, I was riveted and couldn't turn it off!). At least it's Friday. Still, this rainy weather makes me want to stay home, be lazy and read!

:smileyhappy:

dianabt

(0) Hearts

haha it's like the video of the lady walking in England (I believe it was?) who walked right into a fountain. LOL, while I haven't walked into things while on my phone I have plenty of people (just walking and NOT on their phones) who somehow walk into me.. the sidewalks downtown are busy and packed but not THAT bad! :catindifferent:

I'm not sure what I like now. Earthquakes, pouring rain, or this tornado Wizard of Oz like wind that is blowing everything (ESPECIALLY POLLEN) all over the place. I'm sort of glad my landlord put screens over the windows now since it is blocking some pollen out and some of the gusts of wind..

This about how I feel today..:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
dianabt

How scary! 

Glad to hear all of you are okay and safe! I feel terrible for everyone hit by the recent storms and tornadoes though, I can only imagine how frightening and horrific those can be.  I've only dealt with earthquake which are only a few seconds but can scare the heck out of you since they are ENTIRELY unexpected. Growing up in CA I remember the 1989 Loma Prieta when I was just a kid, part of the Bay Bridge (HUGE part of travel and commuting out here) collapsed, buildings on fire and sunken into the ground and fires! Scary knowing you can't even hide in a basement or underground for those but over the years you deal with it. It's so common now I can't be sure if its an earthquake I feel or the bus going down a busy street.. . I hate storms so a tornado, typhoon or hurricane sounds absolutely horrific and scary to me. :smileysad: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
janinebt

I'm also glad to hear everyone is safe. How scary! One of my good friends lives in Chicago and always goes on about how crazy things get in Illinois weather-wise. She always goes on about how she wants to move to California to get away from it all...but it's not much better out here either. Like Diana said earthquakes are a pretty common occurrence, we actually had one earlier this morning. Usually they're pretty minor, but I can't help but think about the next 'big one' we're due to have.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
dianabt

Obviously I spoke FAR TOO SOON and how creepy was it that I was JOLTED out of bed but a monster of an earthquake this morning that hit in Richmond, about 30 minutes sorta northish of SF... Only a 4.0 but was intense! I'm waiting to here if Katie felt it too now! =p Scary these unexpected natural forces..

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
makeupobesessed

Wired,Baltimore usually gets hit with a good snow storm at least once, and we've had like none this year. The hurricane in september was not that bad but still...I lived thru my first earthquake here in August...I didn't even know what it was...I wish all the TN ppl well through all this.
katie1724

[ Edited ]

@Diana: It woke me up, too! The loud noise of the building creaking always gets me first, before I realize that it's moving. I definitely jolted me awake! I got up and checked the USGS site to make sure I wasn't imagining it. I always think I would rather be at home, instead of the 36th floor, where my office is -- though I actually don't know which is safer -- does anyone? I didn't grow up with earthquake awareness training...maybe a tall building is safer, because I imagine it would take a massive scale disaster for the building to collapse...?) All I know is the last time when the 4-point-something hit near Oakland, I felt the building move, and that was frightening! I wasn't around for Loma Prieta, but I think I can live without any kind of repeat performance :{ It sounds awful, from what friends and co-workers have told me!

keelybt

@Katie1724 It depends on the building you are in. Newer buildings are built to withstand very large quakes and even most older buildings have had to be reinforced if they don't meet the standards after the '89 quake. So you will most likely be fine either way. With a 4.0, you wouldn't have to worry at all. I'm really surprised everyone felt it. lol I live a bit south of SF so I missed it all together. I was around for the '89 quake and it was pretty scary, but for that size of quake, the damage wasn't as bad as it could have been. The scariest part for me was when they told us that there could be big after shocks and to be prepared for the "big one".

kimmi1115

@katie and Diana  Glad you all alright!  Like Janine said, it's weird how we don't like the weather trends where we live and talk about moving elsewhere, but elsewhere isn't always better.  During Friday's watches and warnings, my aunt said she was ready to move to Alaska.  I think I'll take tornadoes and heat over the insanely extreme coldness lol.

shyvicki

I'm in Indiana and the weather has been crazy all day. I don't know how big the hail got since I was getting my hair cut at the time that hit. A town in Indiana across the river from Louisville got leveled.

That's the thing I hate about tornadoes. They're pretty unpredictable and you almost never know when and where one will hit. I'm originally from Florida and of course was used to hurricane season. At least hurricanes can be predicted a week or so before they hit land and people (who are smart) have plenty of time to prepare.

kimmi1115

Thank you everyone for keeping the areas in your thoughts!  In my neck of the woods, nothing major happened.  The northern part of county (aka my end of the county) was under a warning at one point last night.  *insert my panic attack*  We were already at papaw's just in case.  The news was talking about how two of the storm systems had that textbook tornado "hook" in them, along with other super cell storms on the way to TN.  I really started to freak out when my boyfriend didn't text me when he got off work like he said he would.  He works in one of the cities the news was really concerned about at the time.  He did text me about 15 minutes later.  He had to work over a bit.  *insert sigh of relief*

I've not got today's paper yet, but I think the soutern end of the county got the worst of it.  If so, my heart goes out to everyone there.  They went through this last year, and some are still recovering from it.  :smileysad:

@katie1724  Depending on what area of TN she is going to, she may be in for more travel issues.  In East TN, they are calling for snow tomorrow.  I do not understand what has been with the weather lately.  The past week has been sunny, warm, cloudy, stormy, and tomorrow may be snowing.  Mother Nature needs to take a Midol or something lol.

@ssmittys  The news here also kept an eye on Kentucky and Indiana.  They were able to get a hold of some footage from a town in Indiana.  It looked leveled.  :smileysad:  I only hope that people made it to safety.  Glad to know you're safe!

@ran8  Car dealers around here did that last year to sell their hail damaged inventory, and to get people to spend their insurance claims on a brand, spanking new car.  The worst of it was Lowes.  After the damage, prices went up on building materials. 

@shyvicki  I bet that was the town I saw on the news :smileysad:  Thank goodness you were indoors during the hail!

waterbaby1981

glad to hear all of you are okay!  I was reading stories on msn.com and they had coverage of the storms, including radar from the Weather Channel and it showed a MASSIVE large super-cell system from Virginia down to Louisiana!  We've gotten the occasional RARE tornado in SW Washington (last one was a few years ago IN THE AREA I MOVED TO), but usually nothing worse than an F1 and a few hundreds yards or so of damage.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 24 replies
  • 55 hearts
  • 13 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • katie1724
    • ssmittys
    • shyvicki
    • anaa
    • waterbaby1981