ChicDabbler

(No Buy challenge) Don't buy that

[ Edited ]

~*~*~*~*~ Low Buy Thread for 2014~*~*~*~*~

In an attempt to be a conscious/responsible shopper instead of beauty product hoarder,  I went on a no buy from mid-Dec to mid-Jan. Now that I've done my little shopping splurge, time to save up some money (or try to).  The goal for rest of the year is to spend just enough to qualify for VIB, and I'm going to try fund most of it through Swagbucks/Bing Rewards/Ebates (PM me if you want to know more about those sites). To keep myself accountable, I will tally up my total Sephora and beauty spending here as I go along. Yes, I'm airing out my dirty laundry.

Anyone/everyone is welcome to join me. This is not meant to bash any particular products, but if you post then I'll give you reasons why you should delay the purchase, consider the alternative, or why you don't need it. I do not intend to judge or offend, so the disabler kitty will be helping me to keep the tone light:

fat-persian-kitten.jpg

I will keep all my disabling to this thread, so please, ladies, let's not turn this into an enable threadAnd I may need a little nudge from you ladies to help disable my own urges, too. =)

Now then, will I succumb to exciting advertisements and fancy packaging? or will I hold onto my will power and succeed in actually saving some money?

upload_4776517837741034345.jpeg

heartsmyface

Re: (No Buy challenge) Don't buy that

(0) Hearts

It's been eight days:smileysad: I'm not going to last past the little black book of bronzers though. 

tehprincessjenn

I think I need to be disabled a bit for Chic Week. Already spent $40. Beauty Blender Royal (my money), Clinique Exfoliant (Dad's- skincare is his responsibility) 

Next in line: 

• Guerlain Joli Teint (Need to have a lighter foundation that actually matches in winter and in between seasons!)
  • Maxi Lash water proof (I don't have mascara...) 
  • Illamasqua Shattered Stars Polish 
  • More nail polish
  • Purple eyeliner

(please don't requalify for VIB within Chic Week... please don't go cray cray Jenn!) 

tashalicious

yep count me in, i'm actually going to Sephora tomorrow so i hope i stay strong, :smileyvery-happy:

Urbie

Okay, so now that I am paying off an unexpected doggy surgery bill, I cannot order thingsssss!!!!  I am almost out of body wash, so I will get that during chic week, but then I really can't spend money on anything until at least my birthday (may).  Urgh.  Disabling gods, help me!  I've been struggling about ordering new brushes lately- I've had most of mine for 8+ years, and some of them are starting to shed or fall apart, but it's really not on the table for right now.  

ChicDabbler

fat-persian-kitten.jpg

#DisablerModeOn

Awww, hate those unexpected expenses but hope the doggy is getting better. Well, I don't know what type of makeup you usually wear but I know most TM/BB works just as well applied with fingers, or you can always go for a cheaper set like Eco Tools or Real Technique brushes. I know Kohls carry Real Technique and they give those $10 coupon ever so often. There's also Bing rewards and Swagbucks if you are really desperate. =/

ilovebears

(0) Hearts

Do Kohl's coupons work on beauty products as well?  Kohl's carries Lorac now, right? :smileyhappy:

MlleCC

(0) Hearts

@ilovebears, the Kohl's website has a list of what they consider "Prestige" beauty brands (i.e.:  theBalm, LORAC, Borghese, etc.).  The Kohl's Cash coupons still work on these brands, but the % off coupons do not.  :smileysad: 

Urbie

I figure I will just hold out for a few months, and then buy some good brushes!  The pup is more important, plus saving up for some Sigma brushes or similar will be incentive not to buy other beauty products.  Thanks, disabler!

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

I caved, multiple times, but sometimes it's just not meant to be. There's a brush set that I REALLY want, so I ordered it from BeautyBar, but turns out the product is completely different from image so I returned it. I then saw it on Ulta so I ordered it again, nope still the same wrong pattern so I returned it. Finally, there was a promo at Too Faced and I fell in love with two adorable mini bronzer sets, which are every bit as wonderful as I hoped so I kept it. So.....

Total spent as of 3/29:
Total: $370.12 spent ($467.36 without giftcard/coupon). $201.93 at Sephora.

I was thinking of buying nothing, but my skin is kind of angry at me...... currently consider if I should buy a hydrating mask for this weekend or DIY it.....

Urbie

Slap some honey on and save your pennies :smileyhappy: 

makeupobesessed

I just wanted to say out loud how proud I am of myself.  I have not bought anything beauty related unless it was absolutely necessary (cotton balls, makeup remover wipes, etc.) since mid January.  Not even with good promo codes, or new products coming out.  To be honest, there just isn't anything I really want or have to have right now.  I am super duper trying to use what I already have and its working.  I think I will be able to go until chic week at the very least, but even then, I will force myself to be inspired and not just bc there is a sale.  Yay no buy!

ChicDabbler

Nice! The REALLY good promo codes and sets come out around holiday season. I forget every spring/summer and always end up buying due to "good" promo code, then regret it later in the fall when the super big shiny sparkly promo/sets come out. Yes to wait until Chic Week. W00t!

Heatoyos1

Argh, this always happens to me, as well! 

I've also been good so far in 2014. I placed so many orders in November and December, especially due to the VIB 20% off event, Black Friday and the merry mini advent. 

Now I am patiently waiting until Chic Week. No new products have tempted me into breaking my no-buy. I am mostly going to repurchase my HG products during Chic Week. 

Yay for saving money!!

tehprincessjenn

Should I Chic Week my Illamsaqua polishes or buy them now? I think the new Star thingys are permanent according to Temptalia. And if I want dupes of my OPIs, I have to trade them off to make room... 

For the Shattered Star Polish I want: Marquise and the purple one (they aren't online yet?!?) 

I need to get a mani/pedi tomorrow, already spent $53.20 on fines (a $36 parking ticket and $17.20 library fine). HOPEFULLY at $28. (In cash) Then picking up a Royal BeautyBlender (the purple one) at Stanford on Wednesday

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Ugh, I hate fines. Why not wait until Chic Week? it's only like, what, 3 weeks away? You can wait 3 weeks.

tehprincessjenn

(0) Hearts

Good news: I think the universe helped me with a no buy. I had massive period cramps that left me in a cold sweat, retching and lots of pain. Yay, no buy... because of being a woman. 

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Yikes! I hate cramps, it makes me so angry and, well, it's painful. I did end up buying something but it turned out to be different than what I wanted so it's going back. Yay for almost but did not break no-buy.....

YouAreAlways

I had that today too. So I went out shopping.. Well I wasnt retching..Borderline. But it was so nice outside and I hadnt left the house in days due to the cramps. 

Good for you for being stronger than me. 

I hope we both feel better tomorrow

tehprincessjenn

(0) Hearts

I know, it's been a nice 2 days in California. Went to Stanford and Sephora today with my aunt, so obviously I wasn't tempted to buy anything, even the beautyblender I was going to pick up yesterday! I did buy a few brushes at Ulta yesterday and then I got the cramps. Hmmm... punishment maybe. 

YouAreAlways

Oh yes, you upset the no shopping gods! Baadddd brushes! 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 534 replies
  • 998 hearts
  • 105 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • nikki
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll
    • sephoramusthave
    • killahbabe