ssmittys

My first place :)

I feel so weird, it's like I haven't been on BT in weeks! I have been working lots and LOTS of overtime (going on 8 weeks total now) because it's RSV and respiratory disease season, and since I work at a children's hospital, it's been quite busy! I hate being MIA, but I hope I can catch up on some posts tonight :smileyhappy:

Anyways, I'm moving into my first apartment April 1st! I've never lived on my own and never been finaincially responsible for everything before, so I am both nervous and excited! Decorating is my favorite part! Although I have trouble figuring out a color scheme ... seeing as how you ladies are fashionable and in the know, here are some color schemes I'm trying to pick between...

1. Deep Purple (think eggplant or plum) in various finishes with taupey accents

2. Deep Chocolate brown with brass and bronze accents

3. Charcoal or Steel color with black, silver and white accents

I feel like once I pick a color, everything else will fall into place. This apartment is very nice and has an "updated" look so it doesn't look older in any way. Any thoughts on color scheme would be greatly appreciated! I'm too indecisive on my own haha!

tiffanybt

Re: My first place :)

Congratulations ssmittys! I know exactly how you feel about moving in to a new place. It's always exciting to figure out color schemes, decorations and last, but definitely not least, furniture. If you're anything like me I love constant change and can't stand for a room to look the same for more than 3 months or so. Call me crazy, but I love re-arranging and changing the flow of things so I don't get bored. 

I love the idea of Deep Chocolate brown with brass and bronze accents!  If you choose that option you're able to get various patterned accent pillows, versatile and colorful art, colorful statement pieces and furniture that won't clash.  Those colors will also make your apartment feel nice and cozy to come home to especially after a long day of work. :smileywink: 

I hope this helps!

Cheers,

Tiffany

katie1724

@ssmittys: Congratulations! How exciting -- I love having a clean slate to work with, and there is something really satisfying about living on your own and being able to support yourself. Have fun with decorating and making the space your own! :smileyvery-happy:

@prettyinpa: I really need to get that speed cleaning book! Cleaning is not my strong suit, even though I love having a clean space (clutter drives me crazy)! :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

@katie1724-  He has a whole series of cleaning books, my favorites are the ones on how to do spring cleaning, and on how to de-clutter. I especially liked the decluttering book, until I settled here, I moved fairly often and each time I needed a bigger truck because I couldn't throw stuff away, I was just moving it and then never even opening the boxes, stuff went right from truck to attic or garage! The plans really work too, Jeff Campbell runs a really successful house cleaning service, so he worked out how to clean the most efficient way. The books are an entertaining read also, they aren't just do this, do that and don't argue.

kimmi1115

@prettyinpa  The speed cleaning book sounds very interesting, especially for the college life lol.  I have a thing for cleaniness and organization, but sometimes school stuff postpones cleaning.

katie1724

@prettyinpa: I'm looking it up on Amazon now (employee of the month, here...BT and shopping...but, hey, it's Friday). This is exactly what I need! At heart, I feel happiest in a clean, neat and organized environment -- but getting to that point is difficult for me. I wish I could hire a professional organizer to redo my apartment! I just did a major closet clean and sold things on eBay, so that's a start...but the rest could really use some work. I have the tendency to save everything, which I think is the issue! :smileyhappy:

ssmittys

So I just realized that I was replying to the board as a whole and not commenting on every  suggestion! Blonde moment hehe!!

Thanks everyone for their suggestions! The apartment is a little modern looking, but it is a one bedroom so space can be limited for lots and lots of furniture. I do have the option to paint the walls, but whenever I move out I have to paint them back. Seeing as how I'm not exactly inclined to do all that painting, I'm leaving it up to my furniture, bedding, and decorations (I can hang things on the wall too) to liven the place up.

I have the most natural light in my living room and bedroom, however those are the two rooms that will also need lamps in them because they do not come with ceiling lights (if that makes sense) I do have a fireplace (exciting!)

Here is a link to the layout of my apartment

http://www.brookside-apthomes.com/units/assets/910340/1BR-1BA-701sqft.jpg

I love hearing all of these ideas!!! So far the Purple with taupe sounds very popular, which is the one I've been somewhat leaning towards a bit more than the others (I used to be a Sigma Kappa, this must be why haha) And your alls organization tips are big help too!

Ran8, thanks for the cleaning supplies basket suggestion too! I need to keep that stuff organized since I will have more space :smileyhappy:

I love and appreciate you all!!

janinebt

[ Edited ]

Aw congrats ssmittys!

I definitely would have to agree with everyone else, it's your first apartment so why not go for a bold color like deep purple with taupe accents? That color scheme has always struck me as being very modern, which sounds like it will suit your new place very well! I love the layout :smileyhappy:

I'm live a pretty nomadic existence, and tend to move around A LOT. Since 2006 I've lived in 7 different apartments/townhomes. This was mostly when I was in college (I've lived with every sort of roommate you could imagine). I have never actually lived on my own, I've always had a roommate, friend, or family member with me...which makes coming up with the perfect decorating scheme a bit of a challenge; so you're very lucky that you get to decorate without anyone objecting against your ideas!

Making your apartment a relaxing sanctuary is always a good idea. There's nothing more inviting than coming home to a cozy space after a long day at work or running errands. I find that candles along with framed pictures/artwork are a quick way to dress up any space.Things that double as decorations are also nice touches (like a pretty coat rack, coffee table art/beauty books, a jewelry tree, etc). I'd also suggest looking into fung shui...I was a little skeptical when I heard about it at first, but all of the tips are really helpful in making any space more inviting and relaxing.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
prettyinpa

@ssmittys-Along with ran8's cleaning caddy suggestion, I would recommend Jeff Campbell's Speed Cleaning book. That thing has been such a life saver for me, especially when I am too busy to really do an intense cleaning. You can really get a whole house clean in an hour and an apartment in much less time. Leaves you more time for fun activities like shopping at Sephora. lol:smileyhappy:

So nice you have a fireplace, it's fun to do floral and artistic arrangements on the hearth in the summer and even more fun to sit there in the winter.

ssmittys

(0) Hearts

@prettyinpa I will for sure get that book!! I like for my space to be clean, but sometimes I feel like it takes me forever to clean my room and bathroom that I have here at my parents house! I definitely want to spend a bunch of time out with friends and less time cleaning my space :smileywink:

dianabt

Congrats Ssmittys!

How exciting to move into your own place, that's great that you are already planning color schemes. I suggest a warm color that makes you feel happy inside, and that also warms and brightens the room up. My dad has been a building and house painter/decorator for over 30 years doing lots of homes here in SF so he always had great recommendations on how to brighten up and "largen" my rooms. I did once have a medium cool toned blue room, only the ceiling was white and the walls blue. Right now mine is an off white, yellow-cream colored base which really has changed my entire perception of how I view my room. I instantly feel more relaxed and calm when I go in my room, even my friends have noticed that too. :smileyhappy: 

Whichever colors you go with I'm sure they will look great! The purple and taupe scheme especially sounds elegant and fun :smileywink:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
prettyinpa

When using a strong color, especially a darker one, I only paint one wall, the one farthest from the door to make the room look bigger. Use mirrors, they also make your rooms look bigger. (I'm assuming your apartment isn't some huge loft that wouldn't need to look bigger than it is). You can always paint another wall in the same room in the color if you like it and it won't shrink the appearance of your room.

Or you can go the route I went, I painted all my walls white or biscuit and bleached wood (looks great with light wood flooring or light stone), then you can decorate in a beachy motif. You can use bright colors like your eggplant or charcoal as accents or for a sofa and do lighter pillows. 

Ran8's suggestion of furniture the same color as your pet is an excellent one!  I spent years having my green sofa show every little hair from my Golden Retriever. I redid the sofa in a light tan and now hair disappears!  Same with the flooring in the bathroom or wherever you do your hair. I have pale grey floor tile in the bathroom and it shows every little hair when I style, and every speck of dust.  If you don't want to be vacuuming and washing the floor every day, get a pattern!

Window treatments are so fun!  You get the options of blinds, which come in such fascinating colors, or curtains (possibilities are endless, especially if you like to sew) or pleated shades.... don't get me started....:smileyvery-happy:

Good luck, have fun and let us know how it's coming along. Welcome back, don't get overwhelmed and get sick yourself.:heart:

ran8

Congratulations.  Moving in can take a while.  Do not try to buy everything all at once.  The most important piece of furniture is the mattress bed setup and it being comfortable.  Everything else can be gradually added in over time.  Never feel pressured to buy if you are not terribly interested or have doubts.  Better furniture and pieces will come their way.  Seriously, I spent about four months before I found the dinning room table that matched my criteria.  It also happened to be at the store I least suspected too.

With all of those color choices, does the place have enough natural sunlight?  If not, add in lighting.  You can also incorporate some of the colors from your other ideas as accents or statement pieces/furniture.  Keep in mind too much saturation of darker colors can make a room feel and appear smaller.  They also make things such as pet hair and dust more noticeable.

I somewhat have ideas but would need to know more information on personal likes/dislikes (styles), layout, and preexisting finishes/details in the place (bay window, fireplace mantle, molding, flooring, fixtures, etc).  At the moment, a lighter charcoal microfiber couch that I saw at a modern furniture store with your choice of pillows comes to mind (different texture from the couch material).  Next to it, the eggplant or purple accent chair (or ottoman).  Accent funiture pieces off-white/taupe or lighter wood (natural or finished stain).  Purple or charcoal (or a mix with both colors in a print or pattern) runner or flat item on the table.  On top of that, a mirrored or glass piece(s) with a hint of green or yellow to brighten it up.  It might be hard to envision without a doodle or pictures (or does not sound appealing).

In store(s), try putting certain colors together, step back and observe.  Bring a friend or family member if you want a second opinion.  If you like it, bring it home, arrange the item, step back, and see if it still works well.  Bring pictures of your place with you to have a reference point. 

Set up a tote/caddy for easy access to cleaning supplies.  With a busy schedule, sometimes it can be easy to fall out of the loop when items are not accessible. 

Belk to me always had nice bedding and decor (accent pieces, pillows, etc) worth checking out. 

There are probably lots of local places in all price ranges.  Some well known, others in little niche areas.  If Baer fabrics was still around, it would have been worth visiting.  Look around for inspiration. 

Great idea websites (either buy from them or find at other stores) when it comes to storage and coordination - Ikea, container store, designers (global, national, and local), martha, hgtv, etc.  The google shopping tab is hit or miss but gives picture ideas.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Children's hospital! Oh goodness, be careful about not getting sick. One of my friend became an elementary school teacher said "I've never gotten sick... and then I start working with children."

Purple sounds mellow and relaxing, the brown sounds warm and cozy, and the charcoal sounds modern and sleek. I would say it also depending on where you live. Color affect my mood, and with New England getting warm/sunny days only 4 month per year, I know the charcoal will make me seriously depressed and purple sounds a little chilly. When I used to live in south Texas (6 month of summer 110-90 deg), I know the chocolate will make it too warm and stuffy and purple would be perfect. I've never painted my rooms, but I love silver/mint, peach/yellow, brown/green, and brown/pink combos....they may or may not have anything to do with my sweet tooth (ice creams).

There's also the thing about lighter color makes room look bigger and darker makes it look smaller. I know lots of my single and newly married friends shop at IKEA. I also live near college campus, so there's lots of yard sales around May with interesting/cheap stuff.

p.s. Yeah, don't worry about having the whole room set at once. I'd rather take my time than buy furniture that I'd regret (they are more expensive and less return-able than makeup/skincare =)). Swing by IKEA and Target to check things out. There are some easy and gorgeous decoration ideas online.

My favorite is to go to a fabric store and pick out shiny fabric with gorgeous prints on them, then just put a notebook size cardboard behind it, fold and glue the edges in the back. My fav decoration was a square of green/white silky fabric with orange flowers and dragon fly and clear sequin on it. It cost me like $2 and I used cardboard from Sephora boxes. You can also make interesting shapes (like music notes) if you feel up to it. =D

I also save shiny/pretty and sturdy boxes like those that come with my parents' jewelry/watch/perfume and put them on tables for trinkets/jewerly/candles.

kimmi1115

Welcome back!  I feel I haven't been posting as much as I used to this semester.  I have more reading to do since I'm taking more classes for my major, but I do need a break from time to time lol.

How exciting to move into your apartment!  When I moved into my off campus apartment for school, I was excited and nervous lol.  As for the color scheme, I love the purple idea.  The decorating differs in the various rooms at my apartment, but I mainly have pinks and purples in my bedroom.  I was really happy how it came out, especially with my bed frame.  Instead of buying a new bed or hauling the one at home up here (I go home for weekends and breaks), my dad built one out of Walnut.  It's so beautiful with the pinks and purples. 

When shopping for decor and whatnot, try shopping at random places along with your main decor stores.  My mom and I randomly went to Big Lots one day just to kill some time, and I hit the jackpot.  I found a fuchsia ottoman to hold my videogames and rest my feet on, collage picture frames, and I can't remember what else.  Never underestimate stores like that. 

ssmittys

I've never thought to shop at a Big Lots before, but since I want to get the most bang for my buck,  I will definitely look into that store!! Thank so much for the tip :smileyhappy:

makeupobesessed

Happy 1st place!!!!  I like the purple choice the best...its less harsh and seems inviting.  I love the feeling of lived in and comfortable.  Congrats and enjoy!  next time dont leave for so long!!!

ssmittys

Thank you! :smileyhappy:

kalex

How exciting!  I've never lived on my own either - I got married when I was 18.

I would definitely go with the purple - if only because it's your place and you can paint it whatever color you want!  When you get married or move-in with a boyfriend you'll have to compromise and purple probably won't be a shade he'll be alright with!  :smileyhappy:

maltipoo66

Hi ssmittys!  Glad to see you back!  Getting an apartment is so exciting-I'm sure you'll adjust quickly.  For the color scheme, I personally think that using Charcoal Grey, Black and White looks very modern.  I would suggest getting one piece of bright red furniture (like a sofa) as another pop of color that will compliment the rest of your color scheme.  Hope this helps!

ssmittys

Oh I love the idea of a statement piece of furniture! Thanks for the suggestion :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 95 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • ssmittys
    • prettyinpa
    • maltipoo66
    • tiffanybt