Carmen1986

My Life : Living With Diabeties

Tonight is a night that has really turned my life around and not in a good way. I had done some blood work for my doctor earlier in the day and then went to work. Later on I had gotten a call from him about the results surprisingly quick I know. From the moment I spoke to him his tone was very uneasy to hear. I knew something was wrong, and then he said it. My sugar levels we're quite high and I am likely type 2 diabeties. Although he wants me to do another fasting and test he seems quite positive of this and so I had to leave work. I was completely shocked and was breaking down while explaining why I had to leave. Ah my boyfriend is got a lot to deal with now but I know somehow we'll get through this. I know I have been slightly ignorant to the comments of me needing to watch what I ate and that I needed to eat healthier ect. I suppose in a sense I was and still sorta am in a state of denial. It's hard to accept but hey I have been through a lot from what you all know as of right now. I just wish that this was simply a nasty nightmare and not a reality I had to face. Anyways thanks for listening to my rant I needed to vent it's hard to take in right now !.

~ Carmen ~ 

dianabt

Re: My Life : Living With Diabeties

(0) Hearts

Hi Carmen!

I know just how tough and scared you may feel- I've had type 1 diabetes for 17 years now and while it's a struggle some days It's entirely manageable and you will be FINE. :smileyhappy: type 2 is a bit easier to take care of than type 1 which is a slightly more intense and requires injections or an insulin pump (which i have). it's a lot to take in at once and I know you may feel overwhelmed Too but do NOT feel scared! The advances in this field are incredible and you will be in good hands.  I've found a good deal of support in reaching out and meeying other diabetics so check out some online groups, communities or even local ones in your area- it does help to see you're not alone! 

If you ever need some advice or want to chat, feel free to message me! :smileyhappy: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
theramenlover

(0) Hearts

Oh no! I'm sorry that you had to get such a horrible diagnosis on top of everything else that's going on in your life at the moment. Like others have said in the thread though, diabetes is manageable! It's most certainly not a death sentence and I know for sure that you and your family will be able to deal with this! 

It'll take some time to get used to all the parameters and to stick with a new diet but in the long run, you'll learn to live with it and it'll just be another thing you do, like taking a vitamin! 

I know it is hard for you right now to come to terms with it all but try to calm down and don't focus on the disease too much. Take your time and just do it all one step at a time. You've got a fantastic boyfriend from the sounds of it and a great family, plus you've got a place to rant here online! We're always around to listen and provide whatever support we can offer!

Chin up and don't let this get you down! You'll get through this :smileyhappy: 

yecenia

(0) Hearts

I'm sorry to hear that's happening.  We dealt with that with my mom's illness.  It's hard but not impossible to manage. Arm yourself with knowledge and be willing to make changes. No one can do this for you. I just went to a weight management course yesterday offered free through my medical plan, and it was an eye opener. Look into any similar classes through your health care provider. It's not a death sentence; it's just a wake up call.

Spoiler

tinaaz

I am so sorry to hear that :'( Like everybody else has said though you are so strong and will make it through this. I wish you all the best of luck and my thoughts will be with you. 

LuckyWinter

Awhh :smileysad: That is so sad! One of my relatives is living with diabetes and over time it really got better for him, I hope that things will be fine for you! good luck with that and don't forget to stay strong (:

beautylovingirl

You will be fine. Your very strong and have faced alot  in the fact of busting down the wall of haters you've experienced, just kick that wall down when it comes to Diabetes and keep walking, treatments have really improved and I know you'll do this just like you've done everything else at 100%. :smileyhappy:

BlushHoarder

Carmen, this is tough news to take. I have had similar news about my health before. I felt similar sensations to what you are feeling.(Anger, confusion, denial, hopeless, frustrated, etc.)  But as someone that has some distance from my diagnosis, let me say this.

You will feel better. The sting will dull. The news will become more digestible. You will overcome this thing. It will make you mentally, spiritually, and even physically stronger if you let it.

When things are too much to take. Find solace with your boyfriend, with BT, with journaling, with any other sources of support you have.

You got this.

spoiledbrat

@BlushHoarder - don't forget to kiss and hug the kitty:smileywink:

prettyinpa

You are a very strong woman, we all have every confidence that you'll be able to handle diabetes like you handled the haters-

Kick diabetes butt!

Hearts to you!

PoesRevy

Carmen,

I know deep in my heart that you will get through this, you are so strong. You also have a wonderful support system in your boyfriend and your fellow BTers.

Carmen1986

Thanks PoesRevy,

I just need to really get my head around this and figure out where to go from here. Ahh I am so hungry and I don't even know what to eat lol Thanks girls, and your right my guy is going to help me out. 

garnett

Hey Carmen,

I know this is hard news to get and to digest right now.  I want you to take a deep breath and relax.  Everything is really going to be OK.  I was diagnosed with diabetes about 19 years ago.  I felt the way you do now- frightened, shocked, angry, overwhelmed.  If you make a commitment to take good care of yourself, you will be able to manage this like a pro very quickly.  With type 2 diabetes, the doctor usually starts you out on oral medication.  You will learn how to use a glucose meter and test your blood on a regular basis.  None of these things are difficult and the testing  is really not a big deal.  After a while, I chose to use insulin instead of oral medication.  It gives me good control and I can adjust based on my level of activity and what I am eating.  You may never need to do this but I want to assure you that I find giving myself a shot very easy and usually painless.  You will have to be more diligent about what you eat and how much of it you consume in a day.  It's the carbohydrates that you  really need to watch.  That doesn't mean  you can't have any-it's about learning portion control.  ( I don't like it either! :smileyhappy:  )

If you haven't been a type 2 diabetic long, you may actually be able to reverse it with a good diet and proper exercise.  You may want to talk to someone about your specific situation. Being transgender means taking hormones, right?  Well, as with any woman, hormones can cause all sorts of ups and downs.  Talk about this with an endocrinologist or other doctor who would understand your situation. OK, take another deep breath and then SMILE!  :smileyhappy:  Because this was diagnosed, you are going to get yourself in a healthier place and you will not succumb to the complications diabetes brings when it's out of control.  Come and vent any time.  We are all here to support each other.  <3

Carmen1986

Hey Garnett,

It's very very overwhelming to hear right now. I'm glad I left work because I couldn't function properly tonight not at all. I admit that I take full responsibility for my poor actions on healthier living. I feel that I had been so overwhelmed with a lot of other issues that I let my health go to the pits. Now I am paying for what I have brought upon myself. I will make the changes and hopefully it'll be fine and my boyfriend wants to help as much as he can so does my mother. It's very emotional for all of us because in my family it's hereditary. I like the idea of an oral medication because I am not too keen on sticking myself with an insulin pen as of right now. Well glad that I can learn all the ins and outs to making the right choices now. Ahh yes the part of alternating foods will be something to contend with lol. I am so stubborn when it comes to food because I am a foodie I LOVE FOOD lol. Well my doctor says I am likely type 2. He wants me to fast and then go see him I want to go before I leave of course. Well I might see a nurse at the clinic because I know they likely have an idea of my transition. I can imagine the ups and downs estrogen can cause lol. I'm trying to relax, I might hit the shower and relax and give myself some time to just unload and hope for a better tomorrow. No I don't want to fall into the position my dad has been in. He's the opposite, although we don't talk I know from what I hear that he's letting the disease kill him off. Thank you ! <3

krunce

Carmen, it sounds like you feel really guilty about this. My little sister is prediabetic. She knows her carbohydrates like no one else, her body mass is over 80% muscle and she works out multiple times a week. She eats really intelligently, she's also a foodie, but diabetes is hereditary in our family too and it's likely she may end up diabetic some day.

Don't feel guilty about it. Sometimes, it's just in your genes. Take this as an opportunity to lavish attention on your diet and your body. You can control this: that isn't a question. And you can most certainly still be a foodie :smileyhappy: 

But for now, spend time with your boyfriend and family. Relax and let yourself process this. You'll eventually see that you'll be alright, and you will easily learn everything you need to know to take care of yourself. Right now, it is not at all abnormal to feel overwhelmed.

spoiledbrat

Carmen - i hope you know all of us are rooting for you on every level with every issue. We love you and you rant whenever you need to because we will be here for you. xo

Carmen1986

Thanks girl, 

I'm so beyond devastated and of course having quite a lot of break downs which isn't helping the issue. I told work I need time off to straighten this out. To me it's about as painful as being told of a death in the family. I'm sorry if my post is rather depressing though. I really don't want that to be the case !. Thanks for your support. 

spoiledbrat

Carmen - when i was told i had breast cancer, i was numb for a few seconds, then the light bulb went off and i realized the surgeon had to make them match and i was hoopin and a hollerin and doing the happy dance - his eyes were bugging out of his head - i kept saying, "you gotta make 'em match, you gotta make 'em match!" Good bye 38F and hello 36B - booble reduction free of charge! Been cancer free 7 years! Just take some time to digest this and the master plan will reveal itself to you :smileyhappy:

Carmen1986

First of all I am so sorry to hear of your prior breast cancer. No one deserves to be diagnosed with that. I mean I am thankful it wasn't too life threatening but I am still very emotional and fragile. I know it's going to take some time to really come to terms with this but I know it's not going to beat me. I just feel so alone right now and so confused as to what to do. It kinda feels like it did when I first realized who I was meant to be. In the end with support, happiness and my rock by my side things will not completely obliterate my strength.  Btw a B cup is a nice size to be just sayin lol ! I am there myself but a C would be nice lol. Ah I love how optimistic and funny you are. Your a real gem girl really you are ! 

spoiledbrat

Carmen thanks for your good wishes - no need to be sorry - i got what i wanted just went around it bass ackwards - no chemo, no radiation = BONUS!  I am grateful i had great insurance and i got 6 months off work paid; think i didn't have a good time - heehee - all good - Don't cry for me Argentina, for i am ordinary.......:smileyhappy:

laurabt

I'm sorry that you're going through such a tough time right now. :smileysad:  Keep your chin up, and stay positive.  We're all rooting for you! :heart:  :smileyhappy: -Laura

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • spoiledbrat
    • theramenlover
    • dianabt
    • beautylovingirl
    • garnett