kimmi1115

Music: Recently Listened To

I think it's fairly safe to say that all of us hear music at some point during the day, whether it be on the radio, YouTube, iPod/mp3 device, etc.  What's a song or two that you recently heard?  I figured this would be a neat way to perhaps share some of our favorite artists and songs.  Who knows, some of us may discover something to add to our music library or rediscover an old favorite.

Right now, I'm listening to "If I Die Young" by The Band Perry on YouTube.  I've only heard a few of their songs, and this is the only one I like.  Just because I live in their hometown doesn't mean I have to be a die hard fan lol.  I only like so much popish elements in country music.  I love country music by Alan Jackson, Toby Keith, Trace Adkins, Montgomery Gentry, Shania Twain, Dierks Bentley, pretty much those that have been around for a while.  Especially Alan Jackson.  I know the words to a lot of his songs lol.

"If I die young, bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song"

geminibreeze

Re: Music: Recently Listened To

I've had the soundtrack to Breaking Dawn on repeat for the past week lol All the soundtracks have been great! And I like that they feature only like one or two popular bands/singers and then the rest lesser known one because you get to be exposed to great new artists!

kimmi1115

@geminibreeze  I've only seen the first film lol.  I'm so behind compared to others.  The only song I knew from the first one was the one by Linkin Park lol.  Love Linkin Park, though!

dianabt

@Kimmi that is great you say that because.. me too! I have only seen the first Twilight movie and (although it was pretty good) I haven't seen the rest! 

I am hooked on the Bruno Mars song.. I heard it and downloaded it before I realized it was on the movie soundtrack. And I take back  my recent post on excitement for Christmas music. Two weekends in the mall and I am "jingle belled" and "white christmas'ed" out!  :smileymad:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
geminibreeze

@ Diana that is such a pretty song! The whole album is great though!

I'm a huge Twi-hard lol  I seen the first movie, then ran out and got the books...and read them in 2 days. (I'm a speed reader lol)

I can not wait until Breaking Dawn 2 comes out! Unfortunately that's alllooong way off lol.

I'm kinda tired of the X-mas music too! lol If I here one more time "Last Christmas" I'm gonna scream lol. And I used to like that song! Oh well :smileyhappy:

It would be totally awesome though it Adele put out a holiday cd!

prettyinpa

@diana-  I'm with you on Christmas music!  Mid November I always look forward to it, and after working 3 venues with Holiday Music, I am about ready to rip out the sound systems!  If I hear that annoying song about Grandma getting hit by a reindeer (I guess that's the lyrics) I think my brain will explode!

But I still love Christmas movies, I have White Christmas with Bing Crosby, Miracle on 34th St, Holiday Inn with Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby, all on DVD. I pop some popcorn, drink eggnog, and watch them one per week until Christmas. Family tradition, can't beat it!

dianabt

Christmas movies are great! I was just watching Miracle on 34th Street sunday night :smileyhappy:

I think the super catchy bouncy tunes really ruin my holiday spirit. Plus theres as commercial on TV with a family always singing "grandma got run over by a reindeer" and its on my last nerve! Bing Crosby songs are excused. :smileywink: Michale Buble is not. Too much overload! :smileyhappy: 

Do the rest of you have any favorite holiday songs? 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kimmi1115

@prettyinpa and dianabt   I know what you mean about the Christmas music lol.  Especially when I walk by Hollister and they're blasting it all through the store.  I still don't see how the employees there expect you to hear them. 

As for Holiday songs, I've always liked "Rudolph" since I was a little kid.  Some things are too hard to outgrow lol.  I also catch my self listening to the Christmas songs that are a part of Jeff Dunham's ventriliquest/comedy act lol.  I actually have "Jingle Bombs" on my iPod, and the Jeff Dunham Christmas Special on DVD.  Achmed and Peanut are my favorite lol.

Aside from the comedy special, some movies my family and I watch are Tim Allen's Santa Clause, Christmas with the Cranks, The Grinch, and others I can't recall.  My boyfriend LOVES the one Christmas movie I despise: A Christmas Story.  That movie is on for 24 hours every single year.  Gah!

ran8

[ Edited ]

Been browsing through beatport and other songs lately.  The majority of things I've been interested in are circa 2005. Might be semi outdated.

As for Christmas songs, I have my usual favorites (Brenda Lee, Wham, etc.) and then some other holiday songs.  There are a few Japanese ones (Namie Amuro- White Light (2005 again!); Nao 冬の空 (Fuyu no sora)) that hold great memories with friends.  Although that pesky YouTube might have a Korean song stuck in my head (IU - You&I) as well as a few parodies for new holiday songs for 2011.   

I was listening to di and heard this really good song on there.  It was driving me nuts because all the track list offered was the file name of the dj mix (which is no use for individual songs/tracks).  I tried searching for everything I could think of that matched the lyrics.  Nothing showed up.  Tried the file name but again, no tracklist.  Today, I found an old notepad with a bunch of random song names and what not written down from many months ago.  Curious, i typed in the names to see if beatport came up with anything.  When I input Crazy Love - Rumours; it was the song I was searching for all along!  Funny how that worked out.

kimmi1115

I was listening to my iPod earlier, and these are some of the songs that popped up.

"One Way or Another"  -Blondie

"Livin' On A Prayer"  -Bon Jovi

"How Do You Like Me Now?!"  -Toby Keith

After Blondie and Bon Jovi, I want to play some RockBand lol.

prettyinpa

@diana-  There is this very funny old "sort of" Christmas movie with Humphrey Bogart called "We're No Angels", the premise is they are trying to escape from Devil's Island on Christmas.  Kind of dark humor, but one of Humphrey's rare comedy outings. Is available on DVD, though hard to find. A great movie for when you are kind of fed up with annoying family members, I won't be a spoiler and say any more!

I enjoy Emmylou Harris Christmas songs, her "Silent Night" is my favorite.

prettyinpa

I had the Sirius Bluegrass station on yesterday afternoon (too early for music this AM) so it was all different bluegrass music. I don't like the old time bluegrass as much as the more modern stuff, though I did see Bill Monroe when he was alive. Blue Moon Rising One Lonely Shadow and Patty Loveless's Mountain Soul CD are my 2 favorites.

For exercising, I have a mix of 80's rock and lively bluegrass on my iPod.

sephoramusthave

I love that song by The Band Perry too! The lead singer can SING and she looks like an exact copy of one of my chemstry teachers. Seriously...

Right now I'm really loving Flo Rida Good Feeling.

kimmi1115

@sephoramusthave  I agree that Kimberly Perry can sing.  Her voice works well with the older country sound, kinda like in "If I Die Young."  Come to think of it, that style kind of reminds me of Allison Krauss.

@prettyinpa  My papaw listens to a lot of Blue Grass stations.  During Thanksgiving, my dad and my bf's parents were discussing the blue grass instruments they know how to play.  My bf's dad is picking the Madelion back up and his mom is starting to play her fiddle again.  Who knows, since dad knows Lanndan's parents are getting back into playing music, maybe my dad will look into getting a banjo again.  He still has all of his sheet music and picks.  Just needs the banjo.

Yesterday while working on my English essay, I listened to "Run to You" by Bryan Adams I don't know how many times lol.  I had the video for it playing on Vevo.  Some of the comments said he's the Canadian Bon Jovi, but something about him reminded me of Micheal J. Fox as Marty from the Back to the Future films lol.

prettyinpa

@kimmi-Hooray for Lanndan's parents and possibly your dad picking up the instruments again!  It is such fun to play, I should play more, I used to practice for a couple hours a day when I was taking lessons but now I'm so busy with other stuff that my banjo is collecting dust on the case!  I sold my guitar because I played it so rarely, I can play my husband's if I'm desperate, but I always wanted a little Martin and mine just wasn't the same. In response to your earlier question that I just remembered, I didn't find gospel music to be harder to learn than regular but my teacher chose pieces from all types of bluegrass so I just learned what was required each week. She could play clawhammer as well as bluegrass, and was a fabulous instructor.

lowrah

One of the local radio stations has been playing Christmas music for a few weeks now.. so every once in a while I'll tune in to that when I'm driving. :smileyhappy:

dianabt

Hi Ladies!

I love music :smileyhappy: I'm pretty fond of all types of music but lately have had the newest Rihanna "we found love" song stuck in my head thanks to TiffanyBT! hahaha :smileywink: 

Unfortunately for me I got really hooked into listening to a dj/group called "Girl Talk" that my xboyfriend would listen to repeatedly. He was in a pretty popular local band out here and was ALWAYS blasting music that he would email me to download. Think of GirlTalk as a huge mash up of about 50 songs in ONE song that just never ends.. It can be fun but sometimes REALLY distracting! 

I'm also hooked onto the hooks of these J-Lo songs.. doesn't help she has a commercial on every 5 minutes. =/ I'm looking forward to the holiday tunes!! yay!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ran8

When near the computer, it is 100% most likely things from my playlist or di.  Today, it has been mixes and random channels all day so it is hard to recall a particular song.  Pretty sure Amanda Wilson was in there somewhere.  There's also the sky page which has channels such as oldies, 80s, salsa, jazz, etc.  Right now, they have a Christmas channel which I will probably venture over to when I want to hear that kind of music (not right now). 

In the car, it is probably oldies or classic rock. 

Although, my ten year old speakers might need to be replaced soon. 

dreamysmile

I'm listening to that song too! :smileyvery-happy: "If I Die Young"  is also the only favorite I have from them. It's always stuck in my head at the wrong moments (important oral report, shopping at Sephora :smileyvery-happy:) and I end up accidently saying some of the lyrics out loud... Weird, right?

-dreamysmile :smileyhappy:

The sharp knife

Of a short Life

Well, I've had

Just enough time

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

Right now I cant get enough of

1. Flo Rida --I cry

2. Philip Phillips--Home

3. Bruno Mars--Locked out of Heaven

4. Christina Aguilera--Your Body

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Right now I'm on a Al Green kick.. does anyone else know who he is? haha :smileywink:

I also had a friend introduce me to a band named "geographer" which I am LOVING! =D

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • bijouxkristyna
    • ran8
    • lowrah