CzaCee

Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball

Okay. I don't get the music video at all. I mean, the song in itself was great already. I don't understand how the music video relates to the song. lol. The music video is kinda disturbing, IMO. What's up with the licking on the hammer and riding a wrecking ball naked? I mean, she's Miley Cyrus. So many teenagers look up to her.

sephoramusthave

Re: Miley Cyrus' Wrecking Ball

I really like the music video

*runs and hides*

calamityjane85

The video. Wow. Just watched it and that's more of miley than I ever hoped to see.  its a good song but she could have made it tasteful by just covering up. We see you have a nice body but good lord start putting some clothes on that skinny butt!! Sad that she feels she has to get attention this way. A good song doesnt need nudity to help it to the top. 

waterbaby1981

And I think therein lies the problem.  The public still sees her as Hannah Montana.  Regardless of how old she is, she has quite literally grown up in the public eye, so it's a double-edged sword.  She has the fan base, but she also wants to prove that she and her music has grown up, which can (and has) alienated some of those fans.  I'm all for being sexy, but there's a right way and a wrong way to go about it.  Take Selena Gomez, for example.  Another Disney star that seems to have made the switch, but has stayed classy while still being sexy.

However, the comparison to Lady Gaga isn't very fair.  Lady Gaga was not a Disney star, so we didn't know about her eccentricities until the infamous "meat" dress.  She's also made it public that she promotes LGBT rights.  She was a grown woman when she broke onto the music scene, not a teenager.  I do agree with a previous comment that Miley seems to be jumping up and down screaming "look at me!  Look at what I'm doing!", etc.  She is an adult...but definitely going the wrong way about it, I think. 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

that is definitely what it is. Its just that they keep seeing her as the young actress who broke out on disney and not as the girl turning into a woman. She is going about it the wrong way and probably trying to catch the attention she wants but still. 

annonymous1

i'm not critizing miley as a disney star, i'm saying regardless of her being a disney star or not she didnt preform tastefully. everyone says shes trying to breakaway and rebel, she ended the show three years ago, she would have been doing stuff like this long before now.

i think she's doing everything because her and liam broke up, they were engaged, its hard to deal with i'm sure

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

i'm not even too sure if she was the one who said this, but it seems really accurate to me. i feel bad for her actually. i don't think she's trying to break away from hannah montana, shes just not that person anymore, shes like what 20? she did that show was she was 17, if you havent changed at all since you were 17 then you deserve a medal. Granted, i didnt want to see her at the VMA's with no clothes on, i could just look away, No ones making you watch her, and i don't mean that offensivly at all, but its a choice you make.

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

Yup! I think she started HM when she was 13/14? I forget where i was reading the whole publicity is still better than no publicity. I actually thought her first song was catchy and the wrecking ball is a lot better where it actually shows off her vocals. The video is definitely a whole different thing. The VMA's was crazy and even i thought that was over the top. and i like lady gagas performances. but who cares right

annonymous1

i loved gaga's preformance, idk it was more tasteful at last to me. i love her music, its catchy. she started hannah montana when she was 14, shes diffrent now, i'm so sick of everyone saying shes trying to break away....shes not, she's done that already

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I know, you can't break away when you're just getting older and creating a new style lol. My favorite performance lady gaga did was i think like 2 years ago, the one with all the blood

annonymous1

Thats excally what i'm saying! Mileys being creative, she's 20 and wrecking ball does have a good image, idk why anyone cares that shes naked, i mean nothing shows anyway...

aviscardi

yea I know. i don't personally care. Il buy the song anyway haha

ragdoll4mom

I remember when Madonna was doing similar and even worse stufff.  Hopefully Miley's current phase will pass as well. 

beautylovingirl

This behavior in all whether it be in the video or on stage,she's not doing anything more than Madonna or Lady Gaga did to make sure that no one forgets who they are and she's done just that,everyone is still talking. She's not the first to act this way and she won't be the last. This is just my personal opinion.

Candy357

P.S. She is getting attention, the attention she craves, and everything she is doing is working.

Be it negative or not, her name is there in the top searches, to her it's a victory.

Plus I always believe Sex Sells, you can't stop it, it's a great money maker. Just saying :smileyhappy:

Candy357

I haven't watched it, but I will. But lately not all music videos match the song, but I dunno, usually I like stuff that way, well sometimes. lol

I gotta watch it. :smileytongue:

CzaCee

jennydreadful - hey. no one is stoping you from creating a Sephora discussion about Robin Thicke since you keep on mentioning him.

AGAIN, THE PURPOSE OF THIS THREAD IS TO MAINLY DISCUSS THE MUSIC VIDEO. my gahdd. what part of that don't you understand?

jennydreadful

(0) Hearts

Yeah, but think of how many teenage boys want to emulate Robin Thicke - a middle aged married man who has topless girls half his age in a music video - blowing smoke in their faces and treating them like sex objects. 

People should be just as concerned about that. Miley is being sexual, but who is she objectifying? She's just expressing herself. Thicke is disrespecting women - no one is saying anything about that. 

CzaCee

Garnett - exactly. i was mainly concerned with the video and not generally about Miley Cyrus as a person. i was just a little thrown off when I read somewhere here that this thread was only put up to trash and talk badly about her because really, that's not the purpose.

garnett

[ Edited ]

CzaCee, when I read your initial post, you are saying that the video is disturbing and what's up with the behavior.  You are concerned with the fact that so many teenagers look up to her. When you said that you opened this up to more than just reviewing the video.   I think the responses on this thread clearly reflect what people think of the behavior in the video, on the VMAs and in general.  It's all connected.   Sometimes we start a topic and people respond in a way that we didn't expect. 

If you want to speak specifically about the video this is my reaction- I find it vulgar and distasteful. The video isn't there to enhance the music, it is there to shock you so that you talk about it and buy the music.  I would love ask her to come down off the wrecking ball, hand her a robe, and tell her that she is better than this.  You can be beautiful, free, and sexy and still carry yourself with more dignity than that.  I am not a prude and I am not offended by nudity in the arts but this girl is trying too hard to work out some issues in public.  That is exactly what ran through my mind when I saw the video.

CzaCee

just to clarify, this thread is supposed to discuss the music video, not specifically to talk badly or trash Miley Cyrus. every one has their individual opinion. so please learn to respect. if you don't like what you're reading, nobody told you to click this thread and read anyway. and another case in point, i didn't think that my post is so negative. it's not like I told everyone that Miley is a trashy, **bleep** girl. have you read anything like that on my post? so yea. we're all adults so I assume we all know how to respect each and everyone's opinion.

bottomline, don't expect everyone to have the same line of thinking as yours. learn to respect differences.

and lastly, i apologize if any body got offended with this thread. i'm just trying to start a conversation. :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 33 replies
  • 61 hearts
  • 20 in conversation
    • kalex
    • sephoramusthave
    • mrscoco
    • waterbaby1981
    • aviscardi
    • annonymous1