kalex

Migraine Help

I woke up with a migraine this morning, which as I far as I'm concerned, is the worst possible way to start the day.  I took my scrip, had a cup of coffee, and soaked in a hot bath.  All the things that usually help and get me to functioning level but it's still really hanging on.  I have too much to do today to spend the day in bed!  Anyone have any other tips?  

The screen is hurting my eyes but I'll pop back on in a bit.  Thanks in advance ladies!

Tayvm

Re: Migraine Help

I have a few friends that get Botox for their migraines.  I guess that would be a last resort after trying everything else.  I think that at a certain point, you're willing to try anything  I've never had a migraine ... I get the tension headaches that go all up around my head, down my neck and into my back.  I take two Extra Strength Advil, a muscle relaxer and head to bed.  

spoiledbrat

Kalex those of us that get migraines too can literally feel your pain. I get massage therapy 2 or 3 times a week, more if needed and she will work me in or come to my house. I take a scrip too and the doc said to take it with Coke, not the white powder version:smileywink:, if not Coke then caffinated coffee. That is why most OTC migraine meds have caffine.  When I took Topomax daily it did cut down on the severity and number of them. I prefer an ice max too warmth and laying down for a bit till the meds kick in.

Good luck punkin - i know they hurt like a mama bear :smileysad:

<3

kalex

(0) Hearts

I'll just stick with the coffee so there's no confusion! :smileywink:

shortstuff07

I'm going to vouch for massage and acupuncture as preventative medicine, keeping my body less stressed helps prevent them.  I've found sometimes a warm rice sock on my head helps, especially if I already have sinus issues. Glad you're feeling better!

heymissheart

A little back story:  I've had migraines for about 10 years now.  I started getting them when my family moved up to central Illinois.. I am originally from southern Texas, near the border of Mexico.

I started taking Inderal about 2 years ago - it reduces the frequency/severity of the migraines.  And I will say, it actually has.  I was getting migraines somewhere between 3-4 times a week.  Now, I really only get them when there is a change in weather, which can be unfortunate, because the weather here in IL is RIDICULOUS.  However, I find that they're easier to get rid of now that I'm on Inderal.

My doctor has prescribed many, many different medicines to take for the onset of a migraine.  None of them have worked.  One actually made me sicker (my body reacted VERY poorly to it, I literally had 70% of the side effect list).  So what I've been doing, is taking 2 Exedrin Migraines, and 3 Tylenols.  It sounds like a lot (because it is a lot, hah), but within the hour, I'm feeling better.  I'm not suggesting that you do this, obviously, just sharing what works for me (most of the time, it's not a 100% thing, sometimes the migraine is just too awful, and the only thing that will fix it is a cool, dark bedroom and 8 hours of sleep).

I hope that you get to feeling better.  I honestly don't know what's worse, the actual migraine (especially when you can feel it when you blink, take a breathe or step, etc.) or the nausea that accompanies it.

kalex

(0) Hearts

Thanks!  I'm feeling much better.  The medication has fully kicked in so no more pain, light sensitivity etc, but now I have that weird heavy headed feeling that always follows.

kalex

Thanks ladies!  I took your advice, decided the vacuuming and grocery shopping could wait, and just took it easy for awhile.  It's at a tolerable level now so as long as I don't put on perfume or do P90X or something I should be fine.  :smileyhappy:  I'll keep note of everyone elses's suggestions for future reference as well!

Thanks!

ilovebears

My fiance gets really bad migraines, but we've found that The Body Shop's Aqua Eye Mask really helps.  Just pop it in the fridge for a few minutes, then wrap it around your head and lie down for a bit.

Fabi28

A damp warm hand towel over your eyes and forehead may work for you. Helps me when I have ocular and regular migraines.

nebel

Massage is hugely helpful for me as well, but I find it needs to be before/at the onset of a migraine versus when it is in full swing.  Facial/head massage works best for alleviating my pain.

I hope you feel better.

daisydaisies

This probably won't help today, but might be useful in the future - have you considered getting regular massage therapy (focus on neck, shoulders, back)? I started this and it made a huge difference for the frequency of the migraines (went from several times a month to a couple times a year), and meant that I hardly ever needed to use prescriptions anymore.

...and it might help today if you could manage to get a massage appointment (1/2 would probably be long enough).

GGrace

I get really bad migraines too. I usually first take my meds, then put Icy hot on my neck/shoulder to relaxe the muscles and then I massage pressure points on my face and hands to make them lessen the pain. All of that together makes them go to a tolerable level of pain

lyravega

The only thing that helped me with my migraines ( that I had for years ), was to - cut out gluten completely from my diet! It worked like a charm! ( to knock on wood ) Never again had a single migraine since! It was not easy ( it IS a drastic change ), but it fixed some other health problems I had, as well, so I'm not going back to gluten ever again! :smileyhappy:

kalex

My daughter is GF so doing this wouldn't be impossible.  I've already cut out dairy and drastically cut down on high-glycemic index foods (white bread, sugar, etc) to improve my acne so I'm not sure going GF too would leave me much to eat!

I'll look into it - thanks!

lyravega

I feel you. I made some drastic changes in the way I eat, as well. First, I cut out gluten completely. When I realized how much good it did to me, I decided to do more for myself. I cut out processed food, refined sugars and oils ( I eat only natural sugars and fats ), drastically reduced intake of dairy and foods rich in carbs, I eat organic and pastured meats.... Long story short - I try to eat real ( healthy ) food only! One would say it wouldn't leave you much to eat, but it's doable :smileyhappy: As I said, it fixed my health problems, so that right there is a great motivation for me to keep going on and don't give up :smileyhappy:

I hope you find the "fix" for your migraines, as well. I know all too good how bad they can be. I used to have them for days and no meds ( or anything else ) would help me. The horror!

Hope you feel better soon!

BeautyJunkie325

I totally feel your pain. I've had migraines since I was a teen and about 7 years ago i had a cluster of migraines of like 3 in one week.  Finally my dr referred me to a neurologist. I'm lucky enough to have a specific type of migraine that I normally have pre symptoms so I can take meds before they are too bad, that is if I'm actually paying attention to how I'm feeling.  For me, once a migraine starts it's Aleive then meds, if I'm nauseous then forget it I have to take that med too and then I'm done for the rest of the day. If not, I take a hot bath or shower (which works better if my headache is in the morning) Then if I can lie down in a dark room for a half an hour with a hot compress or eye mask on I'm usually okay. 

kalex

I've been getting them since I was a kid too.  Mine are mainly hormonal though I get them occasionally at other times too.  I can usually feel one coming on also and then my medication works really quickly.  If it comes on when I'm sleeping though I don't feel it until it's so bad the pain actually wakes me up.

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

Those can be the worst!  I hate taking my beds before bed, going to sleep and having a migraine when I wake up in the morning.  Normally those are when we have huge swings in weather. 

jellybean917

I'm so sorry that you're not feeling well! Migraines are the worst. The first time I got one I thought I was dying. I'm not sure how to help (I usually hide in the dark), but I'm sending my best wishes! :heart:

veronika23

[ Edited ]

Go rest in a dark room for a bit.  It might help.  I also take advil extra strength liquid gels.  No sure if you meant the scrip is for the migraine.  Hope you feel better soon!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 26 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • kalex
    • spoiledbrat
    • lyravega
    • heymissheart
    • veronika23
    • BeautyJunkie325