kimmi1115

May Be Getting A New Furry "Brother"

As you all know, I had to put down my almost 15 years old "sister" Jewel.  Although I am not completely healed and I still cry over her, I think she has pointed my family and I into the direction of a new furry family member.  Some people may think I sound crazy that I believe this her doing, but that's just your opinion lol.  And we all know the saying about opinions lol.

Anyway, over the weekend, my former high school English teacher shared a picture of a bloodhound on Facebook from the local Animal Control page.  I knew the Humane Society had a page, but I did not know that Animal Control had one as well.  I believe Jewel was using my former teacher to point out the bloodhound.  The timing is quite strange because a) it is my dad's turn to pick the next pet and to name him/her  b) he has always wanted a blood hound.

I showed my mom and dad the picture and whatnot, and we all fell in love.  We prepaid the adoption so he could be ours.  Since he looks like he may be a pure breed, animal control has to hold him for about a week for an owner to come forward and claim him.  The owner has until tomorrow.  If the owner really cared, I believe he or she would have come forward sooner.  I don't think the person will because it looks like he has been roaming for a while.  He is skinny, especially at the waist.

Lanndan and I went to meet him yesterday, and he has some of Jewel's personality.  I about cried when we left Animal Control.  I think Brutus will love his future brother.  Brutus has been lonely, too.  I've seen him look at Jewel's grave, especially when I visit it.  He's also been in his dog house more.

Here are some pictures Lanndan and I took.

dog 1.jpgBloodhound kisses  :smileyhappy:

dog 2.jpgYou can see how skinny he is in this picture, and he is shedding his winter coat.

dog 3.jpg

I have a picture of Jewel where she looks at the camera exactly like he did.  :smileyhappy:

MoreGun89

Re: May Be Getting A New Furry "Brother"

Teehee!  Meat Head!  That's such an excellent name :smileyvery-happy:

kimmi1115

@MoreGun89 and Lylysa   I think he already understands what his name is, too.  He is a very smart boy.

lylysa

Gawww! Meat Head! I love the name, it sounds so jolly!

He sounds like he's already a great addition to the family and what manners (knowing how to shake)! :smileywink:

prettyinpa

So nice that you got Meat Head so soon, he sounds like a love bug. Post more pictures, please!!!!

kimmi1115

He is a love bug who loves hugs and kisses! 

chiararaiden

It's funny how another four legged family member can help heal you.... I found a neglected stray walking down my street the week of the one year 'anniversary' of another pet passing away.... although our loved ones can never be replaced, he helped fill a void in my and my husband's heart.  I am SO happy for you and your family!

kimmi1115

Well, I called the humane society to see if he was brought up for vetting or if the owner claimed him at the last minute.  He was brought up for vetting, so he is my new furry brother!!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:  I call again later today to see if he can come home today or tomorrow.  I guess it depends on how tired he is after being fixed, getting his shots, and all that fun stuff.  

It's suppose to be pretty and warm this weekend, so it will be an awesome welcome home weekend for him!

prettyinpa

Hey Kimmi!  I am soo happy for you, your family and your new "brother"!!!!! I hope he can come home to your family right away, though don't be too worried if they keep him overnight. Neutering a grown dog is more tricky than a puppy, so sometimes they keep them a bit longer. Depends on how fast he recovers from the anesthesia and how well his incision does.

Soo happy, I'm just beaming, bet you are too!

lylysa

Yayyyyyyy!!!!! Congrats, Kimmi!!!!! I'm so happy for you and your family! I'm sure he's super excited too to be welcomed soon enough into a warm and loving home!

swfupload_1512072044786731409.jpg

kimmi1115

Thanks, anaa!  He is as sweet as he looks, too.

anaa

What a beauty!

beautylovingirl

Awww Kimmi your making me cry.:smileysad: Maybe it's Jewel coming back in the form of your new dog so she can still be with ya'll. I love your pictures!

kimmi1115

Please don't cry, you'll make me cry lol.  I think Jewel had something to do with it.  She was always a sweetheart.  

Titian06

Hi, Kimmi!  First, you and your family have my deepest sympathy on the loss of Jewel.  I've been there many times. 

How ironic that you should post this entry today; today is Ivan's 7th birthday.  Seven years ago, only a month after Alabaster died, I adopted Ivan and his half litter mate Isabella.  I asked the owner when they were born.  Ivan was born on Alabaster's birthday!  I about died!  

In the meantime, I was feeling really guilty about adopting them so soon after Alabaster's death.  I had him and his companion cremated; one is in a white urn and the other is in a black urn.  One day I was sitting on the floor playing with my new kittens, flipping a toy to the left, black & white cat, to the right, B&W cat, to the left, B&W urn, B&W cat, to the right, B&W urn, B&W cat...  That was my sign from the cats that it was OK that I adopted my new kittens.

I apologize for the really long post.  My cats are my children.  I've lived through the deaths of three cats and one dog.  For me, every loss was devastating, so don't feel bad, Kimmi!

Good luck with your adoption!

kimmi1115

I'm sorry to hear about your fur babies.  No matter how long time has passed, I imagine that it is still hard.  I believe both of your examples are from Alabaster and his buddy.  It lines up perfectly.

No need to apologize!  I love hearing animal stories from other people.  My cat is my baby boy, and the other animals are my furry "siblings."  

ChicDabbler

That is so ADORABLE! Oh I love love love the last picture! My condolence about Jewel and congradulations on getting him! I'm sure he will be very happy to join the family. Let us know what you guys decide to name him. =D

kimmi1115

Lanndan took the one where he looks up at the camera.  He took it just in time because he was wanting to sniff everything lol.

ChicDabbler

I seriously wish I can just reach across the screen and scratch his head. aaaaahhhhhhh! *snuggle*snuggle*snuggle*

prettyinpa

Oooh, Kimmi, he looks adorable!  I also believe that pet angels can lead us to our next friend, it has happened to me a couple of times when I was rescuing a dog.

From how skinny he is, he has either been on his own roaming for awhile or really badly cared for, so I think it's highly unlikely that the former owners will bother to claim him. Plus, don't they have to pay a fine or fee to reclaim the dog? Around here, that's definitely the case, and it reallly winnows out the people who don't care.

I'll definitely have my fingers and Easter polished toes crossed for you! :smileyhappy:

kimmi1115

That's amazing how pet angels have helped you, too!  :smileyhappy:  Especially to a rescue dog.  The pet angels are helping to save a furry life, too.

I'm thinking the same thing.  He did alright on a leash, so he may have worn a collar for, at least, walking.  Someone may have took the collar off of him before dumping him.  I will never understand people who do things like that.  I'm notsure if there is a fine or fee here to claim a found dog or cat.  It would make sense if there was one, especially since he's not fixed and roaming around.

MoreGun89

That seems perfect, my condolences for your loss, it's never just losing a pet, it's losing a very close friend and companion.  The timing seems perfect to adopt though and to make a new friend :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 49 replies
  • 136 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • anaa
    • madcarlotta
    • kimmi1115
    • dianabt