mberteig

Makeup vanity design must-haves?

Hi everyone,

We're remodeling our house and turning a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet.  The closet in that room will be become my makeup vanity area.  We removed the doors from the closet.

The closet is only half as deep as a regular closet, as the other half was taken up by the adjoining room's remodel.

I think it is the perfect size for a counter top with a vanity chair in front.  I can put several shelves on the walls on each side to hold makeup palettes, etc.  And, of course, good mirrors and lighting!

What would you do with such a space?  Looking for ideas, either in the design of it, what should be in a vanity, or how would you paint/decorate it?  I am excited about it!

Bumblee

Re: Makeup vanity design must-haves?

*swoons*

This is so insanely beautiful that I just stared longingly at it and all its little beautiful details for the last 5 minutes.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

:smileyhappy:

FireSpinner

(0) Hearts

I have a walk in closet as well. It's small but i'd like a little space for me.

Do corner vanities exist? lol

DTalksAll

Mine looks something like this, still missing a mirror & stool :smileysad: 

IMG_2617.JPG

sulfate

(0) Hearts

I like that you can pull those top drawers out without having to back up.. nice!  Yay Ikea :smileyhappy: 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

The shelves look similar to the Alex drawer units from Ikea.  I really want to get one to store my makeup in.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

that's what it is :smileywink: 

rdesigns

(0) Hearts

I am looking on the IKEA site now and found the Alex drawer units.  Which table top did you get for it?  Also, what about those drawers on top of the table? Many Thanks! :smileyhappy:

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

How do you like them?  I keep looking at the wider one on rollars.

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

It's IKEA... I don't like much about it. It's cheap & won't last... that's what happens when you pay $300 for a vanity you built. It will do for now, but it's only temporary. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

I'm refinishing my mom's old vanity now, but it only has 2 drawers and I need to find something else to use in conjunction with it to store my palettes, etc in. It would be nice to be able to put all my nail polish bottles in there too. 

DTalksAll

The two thinner drawers on the top are perfect size, the thicker 3 towards the bottom I feel are a waste. Right now I have makeup bags in one, nail polish double stacked in another, and some recent purchases that haven't been sorted. The this drawers are nice and organized, the larger ones are mess. 

rdesigns

By the way - these were the makeup mirrors I was considering.  I think they would work perfectly on the desk/vanity like yours.  I am just trying to find the perfect spot for mine since this house is already cluttered with furniture...lol  

vg-bttm27-s-broadway-silver-lighted-vanity-makeup-mirror-783-500x500.jpglighted-makeup-mirror-10.png

rdesigns

Did you have this custom built? I have been looking for a makeup desk like this for years!  :smileyhappy:

DTalksAll

where is that lower mirror from? Love the design! 

I built it with IKEA pieces. All the vanites I wanted were way too expensive or didn't hold enough. This is my temporary fix until I find the right piece. It's in our bedroom (picture is taken from the door) so I want to spruce it up a bit. We're more shabby chic kind of people, all out furniture is rustic & handmade. This is a little too modern for our liking, but it will do for now :smileytongue: 

rdesigns

I completely forgot about IKEA when searching for a desk/vanity!  Like for you, the desk is a little too modern to match with our furniture (we have a more old-world European decor), but I need something that is somewhat portable and can be moved, and I am frankly desperate for something with a lot of drawers :smileywink: 

Both mirrors I posted are from Vanity Girl Hollywood. The vertical mirror is called the Broadway Lighted Vanity Mirror, and the horizontal mirror (the one you like) is called the Starlet Lighted Vanity Mirror.  They also make an all-in-one make-up station with a mirror, but unfortunately the stations do not have any storage space!  The mirrors and stations come in gloss white, black, and silver.

lilyyy

#1 for me is good, BRIGHT white light with white walls. Any other color and I won't be able to see that this pink blush is actually coral and it needs more blending.

jojobe

All of the pictures are soooo pretty and I would love to add one of these into my house when we move.. unfortunately mine would never stay that pretty! I cannot imagine how compulsive a cleaner I would have to become to achieve this look on a daily basis.

Once all of my kids move out this would be totally doable but for right now I have to keep it all in my stack of Rubbermaid...but make sure you don't use  a bright green paint. Try to stick to softer blues or peaches as they enhance your complexion.

carolang

I really like the wall paneling in one of the previous pictures!another tip is to search YouTube for videos, a lot of times they'll tell you where they purchased certain items which is sometimes difficult with pinterest, but I'd use a combo of both for inspiration. I also think it looks pretty when there's either a cute cushioned bench in the muddle of the room or if more storage is needed a table with drawers/cabinets and a pretty faux flower vase or pretty display on top.

janinebt

I've been wanting a makeup room/massive closet for years now! I think they're great if you're truly passionate about makeup and fashion...especially if you have to get up early and don't want to disturb your significant other. Plus it's a wonderful place to store girly knick knacks.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
rdesigns

I have always wanted to a customized vanity area... :-)   A friend has a vanity area in her walk-in closet (it is more the size of a room).  One of my favorite features of it is that her counter top area has a glass-top display case (it opens from the top) for her jewels and items that she wants to see and be able to find and reach for quickly.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 44 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • jojobe
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • ladymeag