mberteig

Makeup vanity design must-haves?

Hi everyone,

We're remodeling our house and turning a spare bedroom into a walk-in closet.  The closet in that room will be become my makeup vanity area.  We removed the doors from the closet.

The closet is only half as deep as a regular closet, as the other half was taken up by the adjoining room's remodel.

I think it is the perfect size for a counter top with a vanity chair in front.  I can put several shelves on the walls on each side to hold makeup palettes, etc.  And, of course, good mirrors and lighting!

What would you do with such a space?  Looking for ideas, either in the design of it, what should be in a vanity, or how would you paint/decorate it?  I am excited about it!

ladymeag

Re: Makeup vanity design must-haves?

(0) Hearts

I've often wondered: am I the only person who prefers to do her makeup standing up? I really don't like sitting down to do my makeup, I feel like it gives me a weird angle on my face. 

makeupobesessed

(0) Hearts

I have been thinking of doing the same to a small spare bedroom in my house too!!!  I would LOVE to see pictures after its done, and in progress!!!  I hope it turns out fabulous!

SportyGirly125

(0) Hearts

I just bought a Vanity Girl Hollywood Broadway Makeup Desk during their black friday sale in black and love it.  You can dim the lights if needed and everything is lifetime warranty.  Definitely worth the money.  It also comes in white too.

IllegallyBlonde

(0) Hearts

Mine is so sad looking compared to all these beauties lol. I just bought a few acrylic cases but I still need more because I seem to have more stuff than I thought.... Ah, well!

MakeupJunkie666

This is my vanity. I used an old costume apron as my makeup brush/tool holder.

upload_4687021592371156774.jpg

upload_3157891345758581860.jpg

upload_1963443602680161798.jpg

IllegallyBlonde

I LOVE True Blood! That's an awesome poster

sulfate

I bought this from Ikea last year and love it.  I had planned to glue the mirrors in and eventually do something nicer custom, but this has worked so perfectly for me I have no desire to change a thing.  I looked and don't see it online anymore, but perhaps it's still in the store.  FYI, the chair is pottery barn teen and I couldn't like it more.  It's big enough that I can sit with my legs crossed and love that it's on wheels so I can just slide on up.  The fuzzy material feels so nice too.  What I love about this table is that it's big and wide, so everything is laid out right at my finger tips.  What I also like is  because the top lifts up, there is no drawer to slide out which means I don't have to move my chair back to access anything.  Note there is no rim to block your arms after you lift it up.  I keep a lighted makeup mirror on the counter next to this and just move it over once I lift the top up.  It was dirt cheap too!  

Spoiler

vanity open.png
sulfate

I just see the word 'spoiler' instead of my photos.. not sure why.  I'll try again
.  vanity closed.pngvanity open.png

DTalksAll

Is that in the bathroom? Be careful with your makeup, humidity, heat & moisture can ruin makeup quickly :smileysad: 

sulfate

(0) Hearts

Thank you for that!  It's something I never would have thought of.  This is actually an extra bathroom that is only used for makeup so I don't have to worry, but I appreciate the tip regardless!!!

ShinyMagpie

Not my picture. I saw this on the Lit Cosmetics FB page today.

1005023_676502919037269_1972706551_n.jpg

Missie772

(0) Hearts

Drools... it is so pretty and so organized. My vanity gets messed up every time I put on makeup!!!

katherinef

image.jpg

I created my own vanity space using a few items I found at CB2 

http://www.cb2.com/office-furniture/office/go-cart-carbon-three-shelf-table/f6339

image.jpgThe mirror, cart/table, tray, round glass container, stackable acrylic container and brush holder are all from CB2. It's pretty much repurposed office furniture :smileywink: but I love the space I created. Having a vanity dedicated solely to beauty is essential.

kittichick

This isn't as practical as I'd like, but omg, pretty!

I'm seriously dying for a real vanity set-up.

upload_2731736375234068295.jpg

DTalksAll

I was looking at that, but it's way too clunky. What I really wanted was the Chelsea Vanity I just didn't think it was worth the price. PB is nice, but all our pieces from them are not holding up as well as our Restoration Hardware. If RH had an elegant vanity that had space I would be all over that! 

upload_4531125362516744560.jpg

missfawnie

(0) Hearts

PB makes such amazing vanities! But I totally agree with you- they're really not worth the price. Everything PB Teen seeks is rather overpriced, in my opinion. But goodness- that thing is gorgeous.

kittichick

(0) Hearts

This is lovely! And quite a bit more practical than the one I posted. (I wouldn't want to own that one so much as I like gazing at the picture. Soooo pretty!)

Love the mirror, all the drawers, and that it has plenty of desktop space.

On the downside, practicality-wise, all that lovely white would not stay white for very long. ... Why are so many vanities white, anyway? O.o

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I actually want a white one. It's quite easy to clean, and doesn't look as dirty as black does when it has dust or makeup on it. 

BeautyJunkie325

I like the tri-fold mirror on this one.  One of my aunts had a tri-fold mirror put in their bathroom when they built their house. It was awesome. 

girlystuff63

Oh my gosh. This is so beautiful. The way the sun shines through the window. Wow!!!  I would LOVE to have this setup. Sun included. Thanks for sharing. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 44 replies
  • 52 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • mberteig
    • jojobe
    • lilyyy
    • janinebt
    • ladymeag