kalex

Looking for a good book

I love getting lost in a good book.  You know the kind where you dread reading the last page?  It's been awhile since I've read one of those.  Anyone have any suggestions?

kalex

Re: Looking for a good book

I liked the Hunger Games trilogy so much I bought the books!  Now I've got my 12 year-old reading them so I have someone to go to the theater with when the next movie comes out. :smileyhappy:

I just finished reading the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series now too.  Thanks to those who recommended them!

I was going to start reading the Divergent series but then I found out there's a third book coming out.  I'm NOT doing that to myself again.  I'll just wait to get involved until all the books are out!

Think I'm going to move on to David Sedaris now.  "Me Talk Pretty One Day" should be a good laugh after reading so much drama!

kalex

(0) Hearts

@Katie - Are you talking about Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls?  It's on my list!

I am a huge GWTW fan but I have not read Vivien's biography.  Putting it on my list now too!

Regarding The Hunger Games, they are Young Adult books so you will find them easy to read but I never felt like the author was "talking down" if you know what I mean.  I grabbed a teen magazine (YM or Seventeen or something like that) in a waiting room the other day and cringed while scanning the articles.  Unlike that magazine, these books aren't clearly written for just the young.  I think you'll find them well written and definitely interesting!

I grabbed Catching Fire this morning and had to make myself a to-do list before I'm allowed to open it!  Vacuum, fold laundry, and load dishwasher have been accomplished so far.  :smileyhappy:

keelybt

@Katie1724 I've been holding off on the Hunger Games for the same reason, but I'm also considering it because sooooooo many people swear the books are fantastic.  I also had a friend who generally wouldn't be interested in that type of thing and really enjoyed it.

@Colorobsession I'm totally the opposite!  If I haven't read a book, I will read it before the movie because the book is always better, but when I have reread the book right before I get so angry at the movie.  I did that with the Da Vinci Code.  I read the book 4-5 years before the movie, so I reread it the day before I saw the movie and I really couldn't even enjoy it with all the changes.  If I went in vaguely remembering the book it would have been fine.

In general I love a good mystery!  I have many favorite authors, but my number one is Harlan Coben.  I find his books so gripping it is painful to put them down.  I have to restrain myself from starting one late in the day because I will continue reading until I pass out from exhaustion. No joke!

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@kalex: Have you read David Sedaris? He's one of my favorites...he has a new book out, which is what made me think of him. I don't think anything will ever beat Me Talk Pretty One Day, but his new one is pretty hilarious, too (I can't even read his books in public because I can't keep it together and look crazy). Oh, also -- I know you're a GWTW fan (I think?) -- have you read Vivien? (It's one of Vivien Leigh's biographies, and it's fascinating (and depressing).) I love her.

@contentlykaykay: I just bought The Glass Castle -- my mom read it and loved it and I missed it when it came out, so I'm reading it now :smileyhappy:

I'm also re-reading The Great Gatsby, which has always been one of my favorite books. I've read it several times, but not for a few years, and I wanted to re-read it before I see the movie.

colorobsession

I've always wanted to read Me Talk Pretty One Day. My high school freshman english teacher was a big fan of David Sedaris, and I always respected her opinion since she was probably one of the best teachers I ever had. I'll have to add that to my Amazon wishlist :-)

I also want to re-read the Great Gatsby, since I haven't picked it up since high school, and with the movie coming out, I'd really like a refresher. I'm a big advocate of reading the book before you see the movie, because there are always going to be changes/adaptations for the sake of transferring the story to film, and I like to first hear the story the way the author intended it.

Right now I'm in the middle of reading the LOTR trilogy. It's on my bucket list of things one should read in their lifetime, but lately I've been getting distracted from reading (cough...BT...cough) so I haven't made as much progress.

Once I'm done I think I want to stay on the book-to-movie bandwagon and read Silver Linings Playbook and also re-read Gatsby.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

@colorobsession: OMG, you have to read Me Talk Pretty One Day -- I think it's his best, personally. It made me laugh until I cried (at many different points in the book). I wanted to finish the Great Gatsby before seeing the movie, but I think I'm seeing it tonight or tomorrow, so I don't think that will be happening. It's one of my favorite books of all time. I do love Baz Luhrmann, but I know the movie isn't an exact interpretation of the book, so I have to keep that in mind (or else it will really bother me...the costuming  is also not historically accurate, but that's kind of his thing). I loved Romeo + Juliet so much and I'm wondering if this is going to be similar...hmm. I still need to see Silver Linings Playbook! (I think I'm the only person who hasn't at this point!)

ashhay

The coldest winters by Sister Souljah is a good book. I also like Ben Carson's autobiography Think Big, a great inspirational book is The Game of Life and How to Play It by Florence Shovel Shinn and  another good book is In Search of Satisfaction by JC California Cooper.

MoreGun89

OH!  One I forgot, The Art of Racing in the Rain, incredible book, I loved it!

kd006

Idk if you're one of those people who hate sad books, but seriously the most moving book I have ever read was a thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini. I have never cried so hard in my life but it is an amazing book and an amazing story. I don't think it's true, but I can see how a situation like that would be true. I do hope you read it. it's just amazing.

kalex

To those who recommended The Hunger Games...

Thanks a lot! *heavy sarcasm*

I've gotten next to nothing accomplished in the two days since I got this book!  I'm going to the library to grab Catching Fire tomorrow.  If the following books are as good as the first my household will be in trouble by the end of the week!

katie1724

@kalex: My grandmother keeps asking me (literally every time I talk to her) if I've started The Hunger Games; I just can't. It's not my thing at all, but I think I have to read them now. I love books that you can't put down, so I take it they're really well written / riveting? My sister (who doesn't rave about many books) read them and loved them, but for some reason I've just never felt the urge. Maybe I will give them a try!

arielaaaaaaaa

Lol!! I read it in a matter of 2 days. It's a great read!

makeupmaven

I mainly read non-fiction (spirituality/ kundalini books)...my favorite (which is sort of a dry read until you've really gotten into it, I've read it so many times it's dog eared and highlighted like crazy...always more to understand once you've experienced what is in it) is The Serpent Power by Arthur Avalon...I'll list more later if any of you are also into that type of read!

janinebt

(0) Hearts

You have all given me such fantastic suggestions! I've been in a reading rut recently. I haven't really found anything that is captivating me. I have a tendency to read memoirs, horror, and classics :smileyhappy:.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
ShimmerDust

Dreamcatcher by Stephen King, The Help is a great book, A Fault in Our Stars by John Green, and the Divergent series. :smileyhappy:
onomotopoeia9

Like others mentioned, Chelsea Handler is amazzzzing

So is Jodi Picoult :smileyhappy:

If you want a moving true story, try  "The Mirror Lied" by Marc Zimmer

ContentlyKayKay

Divergent series is pretty good if you liked Hunger Games. I read the Matched series since someone recommended it to me but... wasn't too pleased with it. I really enjoyed reading The Glass Castle which is a memoir by Jeannette Walls. I've bought a few John Green books since people keep recommending them to me but I'm finishing Game of Thrones series first.

makeupobesessed

I have to second the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series, and Chelsea Handler books.  Dragon Tattoo was way better than the movie, and it seems the next is better than the one before it...and Chelsea Handler is hilarious.

dannyc

Forgot to mention... if you're looking for a lighthearted, easy read, check out Chelsea Handler's books. She's hilarious! 

roxystar4

Hunger Games

Night Circus

Divergent, Insurgent (series)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 65 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • makeupmaven