kalex

Looking for a good book

I love getting lost in a good book.  You know the kind where you dread reading the last page?  It's been awhile since I've read one of those.  Anyone have any suggestions?

ContentlyKayKay

Re: Looking for a good book

(0) Hearts

I can't wait for the 3rd book to of the Divergent series to come out in October!!!!

roxystar4

ME TOO! They are so addictive. I hope someone in Hollywood makes some movies! 

ContentlyKayKay

They are making the Divergent movies!! They started filming I think either last month or this month. I'm super excited!! Apparently Kate Winslet will be in it.. so hopefully that means it'll be a quality film!!!!!

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

wow! this is great news!!! thanks ContentlyKayKay, you just made my day :smileyhappy:

kalex

Thank-you for all of your suggestions!  Since so many mentioned The Hunger Games I decided to start with that one - they're all checked out but I put a copy on hold.  :smileyhappy:

@mkupgk - Anne of Green Gables has been my favorites series since I was in 4th grade.  I've got my 10 year-old daughter reading it now!

@dannyc - I'm in that predicament right now with the next book in the Game of Throne series.  I feel like I've been waiting for forever for The Winds of Winter.  At least the new season on HBO just started!

ContentlyKayKay

(0) Hearts

I'm on the 4th book of Game of Thrones and I'm trying to read it slow since I know the 6th and 7th books are going to be a while. I'm SO happy the 3rd season just started because my fiance hasn't read the books yet and I'm dying for him to know what happens in the 3rd book so I can finally talk about it lol.

yellorose

(0) Hearts

Want an autobiography? Read Tina Fey's Bossy Pants. I was gifted with that and she's really interesting.

mkupgk

The hunger games

jane eyre

anne of green gables

yellorose

Like Triciaann12, I also love the Hunger Games (dystopian, YA), and add to that Harry Potter (fantasy, YA), and The Host (Sci-fi, Romance, Adult).

If you like the classic literature like Jane Austen, there are a lot of Jane Austen-esque stories out right now written with Elizabeth and Darcy. I especially love the one that is a cross between Sherlock Holmes and Jane Austen. I read so much I forget the titles but they feature her other characters, not just those from Pride and Prejudice.

If you like non fiction as well, anything from Malcolm Gladwell is good. It's really thought provoking, especially the first one I read, Outliers. Outliers was recommended to me by several people I volunteered with in a children's literacy non-profit, Reading to Kids. After so many people mentioned it, I had to read it for myself.

DTalksAll

My nook is stocked with books just begging for me to read. I haven't had time lately to get into a book. When I read, I get lost in it & don't want to do anything else until I've finished it. Even worse I prefer series, to single book, and wait until they are complete so I'm not stuck waiting a year for the next one to come out

Some Favorites:

- Charline Harris (the books that True Blood are based off of)

- Any Steve Berry book

- The House Of Night Series by P.C. Cast

- Colleen Houck's Tiger Curse series 

- The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo series

dianabt

@jennjenn123 welcome to Beauty Talk! We're happy to have you :smileyhappy: Thanks for sharing and I'll have to check some of those books out too!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
jennjenn123

This is my first response!  I don't know much about make-up/skin care so I lurk to learn, but I do read a lot!

I also highly recommend the Hunger Games trilogy.  Divergent isn't bad either.  I haven't gotten to reading the book that comes after it. 

Sarah's Key by Rosnay is good if you're interested in historical fiction (WWII).

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier, who wrote Rebecca, also excellent.  Both are great if you like less recent fiction.

Hannibal is better than the movie version, as are Timeline and The Godfather.

Funny:

I Totally Meant to do That by Borden.

Girls in White Dresses by Close

dianabt

@Kalex I LOVE to read...  I read so much that I decided to stop buying books and just keep going to my library. I also found out that I can have NEW books transferred from the main library downtown here in San Francisco, to my local libraries a few blocks away and at the other end of the city! A book nerd like me is in heaven! Plus it saves me from $17 downloads on my kindle :smileywink:

That being said, I'm into SO many different types of books, and funny but I get a lot of recommendations from reading magazines and their "new selection" reviews! People magazine is great for that- I've found some winners! :smileyhappy: The last book I read that I could not put down.. Hunger Games! I read all 3 of them so quickly because I hated to put them down. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
makeupobesessed

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Diana, Im a  total book nerd too, I love the library.  I download on my iPad but I still love the smell and feel of a physical book.  I did download 50 shades of gray on my iPad so no one could see me reading it!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-----

yellorose

I loved the hunger games too. I thought the dystopian world a bit disturbing though. Made me think of Lord of The Flies. (The Hunger Games themselves I mean.)

triciaann12

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

-----

yellorose

(0) Hearts

Oh i know! I's read the whole trilogy before the movies came out. chilling. The capitol is especially evil and they all feel so entitled.

arielaaaaaaaa

I loved reading the Hunger Game. The movie was alright, But the book is very good. I don't take the time to read much but i read that one quick!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

-----

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh i know, I was like explaining some thing to my sister because i was like is this making sense to her? She loved the movie but i know if she read the book she would understand alot more. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 65 hearts
  • 23 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • keelybt
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • DTalksAll
    • arielaaaaaaaa