kalex

Local sayings

I recanted the following story to my kids the other day and it got me wondering... Are there any sayings (or names for things) that are completely normal where you're from, but are considered strange elsewhere?

Several years ago my Mom came to visit me here in NE from where we're from in WI.  We were out shopping and as she's looking in her purse she says to me, "I'm low on cash.  I need to find a time machine."  I paused and just blinked for a moment until I realized what she was talking about.  "Mom, you can't say that.  They're just called ATMs out here.  If you ask for the nearest TYME machine people will think you're crazy."

(In WI many ATM's said Take Your Money Everywhere on them.)

Also, who knows what a "bubbler" is?

DTalksAll

Re: Local sayings

People still say Obvi? I remember saying that in college over 10 years ago LOL 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

haha. I had a coworker move from cali and said hella a lot and i couldn't get it. Another was australian and use to say obvi and totes a lot lol. not sure where she picked that up or if they used that in australia too. I say obvi once in a while but i don't remember that being popular in HS or even college. and sometimes me and my friend joke around like thats cray or cray cray. 

SilveryPink

Oh! Same here. I live in the Bay Area too, and people say that, it annoys me a bit.

For example, 

"She's so hella big!" 

it sounds really uneducated in my point of view.

janinebt

(0) Hearts

Hmm can't say that I've heard it used as double adjective at all and I've lived in the bay area my entire life. Usually people will just say "that's hella crazy" or "you're hella late". Just a slang version of hell of.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

I can't say that I say it much anymore (I'm 31), but I definitely used "hella" a lot growing up!

asdsfgh

I'm in the bay area too and everybody at my school uses hella. Another thing we say is "I'll put you on" which is like setting someone up with someone else. Not sure if that is used other places or not though. 

kalex

(0) Hearts

Instead of "hello"?  Can't say I've heard that.

makeupmaven

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

No like as in "a lot" like "I hella love ice cream."

Or "I hella love Cali."

Question:

"Do you like this?"

Answer:

"Hella."

kalex