kalex

Local sayings

I recanted the following story to my kids the other day and it got me wondering... Are there any sayings (or names for things) that are completely normal where you're from, but are considered strange elsewhere?

Several years ago my Mom came to visit me here in NE from where we're from in WI.  We were out shopping and as she's looking in her purse she says to me, "I'm low on cash.  I need to find a time machine."  I paused and just blinked for a moment until I realized what she was talking about.  "Mom, you can't say that.  They're just called ATMs out here.  If you ask for the nearest TYME machine people will think you're crazy."

(In WI many ATM's said Take Your Money Everywhere on them.)

Also, who knows what a "bubbler" is?

anaa

Re: Local sayings

Where I grew up in Phila the term for tomato sauce for pasta was "gravy".  And prettyinpa, is that term you referred to "yous"?  That one seems to be pretty popular here in South Jersey also.

prettyinpa

"Yinz" is equivalent to "Yous", though obviously pronounced differently. I remember "yous" from when I lived in eastern Jersey, I was confused at first, I thought they were saying "nous" like in French with bad pronunciation!

I've heard gravy in Philly before, I thought it odd that someone would put meat-type gravy on pasta until the waiter explained to me that it was red sauce. 

mommyto4

For any of you that want a good laugh.  On youtube there is a video named- Texans trying to pronounce WI city names.  I find it hilarious because I am horrible at pronouncing words I don't know.  I can envision myself in this video.

kalex

I will definitely check that out!  I was a waitress in high school at a diner right off the interstate and frequently had people ask, "How do you pronounce Wauwatosa, Oconomowoc, etc.." 

makeupmaven

(0) Hearts

Sounds like when clients would call from Martinez, GA, and pronounce it "Martin-ez". Even Spanish-speaking clients would do this, I guess you just get used to pronouncing it wrong.

JenBlush

I dont think anyone really speaks proper English in Miami! lol we all speak Spanglish and make up our own words, throw in spanish with English. It's chaotic!

And we put "super" in front of everything!!! 

ry22

In Buffalo it's pop, not soda. We attend gym class (not P.E.) and are required to wear sneakers (not tennis shoes).

iknowitstoday

Coke=EVERY carbonated beverage. As in "Wanna Coke? We Have Pepsi, Sprite and Mountain Dew"

NotCrocker

Apparently Bug Dope isn't really a thing outside the Yukon. I always thought Bug Dope is what everyone called insect repellant, but I've slowly come to realize that it is not a common saying.

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Northern Alberta does that too! I think it is dying out though, just something my uncles and the like say. 

NotCrocker

(0) Hearts

If it comforts you at all (it comforts me), they still say it in the Yukon, and probably in the other territories. One of our local soap shop sells Bug Dope on a Rope (bug dope soap), so I like to think it'll live on forever!

mommyto4

This is so funny.  Since I haven't participated in the TSB's maybe I should just send all you former Wisconsinites some real cheese.

carrie1975

I miss brick cheese so bad. NOBODY knows what it is out west. They say happy cows come from California and make better cheese....no way! Wisconsin cheese rules!  Give me brick cheeseesse. My husband grew up in California and got stuck in Minnesota at the airport. He now admits that dairy from the Midwest is better. He liked how creamy it was compared to California. It had cream in top the bottle. I want to get some cheese but the Wisconsin cheeseman is so expensive. I need some Racine Kringle to!

mommyto4

LOL you are listing some very good reason why I will never be skinny!  I don't think WI Cheeseman is in business anymore.  I might have to make a post about what local company ships cheese for a decent price!  :smileyhappy:

carrie1975

Yes, please! I would appreciate it!

mommyto4

Kalex mentioned a great one.  I was going to say gibbsvillecheese.com.  Cheese curds are only $4.30 for one pound.  They make some of the best.

kalex

Check out Kraemer Dairy in Watertown, WI.  I just put a $45 cheese gift box in my cart and it was $10 shipping.

DTalksAll

My roommate in College was from Rhode Island, it only took me a few weeks to start saying "wicked" a lot, which I can't stand. 

Is "wonky" an East Coast thing? I say that sometimes. 

& "Fantabulous" as in fantastic & fabulous mushed together

We also over use creep & creeper. "That guy is such a creeper" 

We say sub instead of hoagie... if you ask for a hoagie you'll probably get a blank stare. 

Contrary to popular believe no one from Jersey says "joisy" I think people from Long Island coined that word

We also never ask for a soda, no... we're much more specific than that. It's always "I'll have a coke" or "Do you have Sprite" 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

I say wonky, and like to mesh up words like fantabulous.. 

kalex

I say "wonky" and "sub".  :smileyhappy:

tinaaz

I'm from Wisconsin too, and I've never heard TYME machine! I definitely use bubbler all the time though, if you mean drinking fountain.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 92 replies
  • 112 hearts
  • 31 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • prettyinpa
    • DTalksAll
    • prosopon
    • shyvicki