Meg82

Less smoking, more makeup, Update 2

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I just thought I'd update all of you on my quitting smoking progress.  I'm down to four cigarettes a day, tomorrow I go down to three.  It's been really hard.   Last night for the first time I cheated and had more cigarettes than my allotted four.  I'm trying not to feel too terrible about it.  Today has been comparatively easy though, possibly because I woke up really late and so it's almost eight pm and I still have one more cigarette scheduled for the day (at 9:30) and that has been very comforting this evening which is often the hardest part of the day for me.

Anyway.  Now the stuff you are probably more interested in.  Last week I put $15.25 into the beauty bank.  This week I only smoked a pack and a half so I saved $49.50 and so $24.75 goes into the beauty bank giving me $40.  I'm still not sure what I want to buy.  I am like 90% sure I'm going to get the give me some lip set, but I might also keep saving the money until I'm more sure I want something.  I might save the decision for a time when I'm desperately wanting a smoke and needing something to distract me. [EDIT I went ahead and bought gimme some lip so it didn't go out of stock]

Anyway.  My last day of smoking is projected to be August 30th which means that the next time I update you guys I'll have smoked my last cigarette.

melde

Re: Less smoking, more makeup, Update 2

Awesome! Keep up the hard work! I know it is difficult but it will be so worth it in the end!!!!

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

lovebird411

LOVE this update!! Can't wait for the next :smileyhappy: Kick that nicotine's **bleep** <---hope it's OK to say that here, haha.

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Apparently whatever you said is not okay to say lol.  So many things get bleeped here.   I will definitely try to kick nicotine's bleep.

Aniquatoots

That's so awesome of you! Keep working had, and know that there are many things ahead of you. And it's also nice that you know that you can use the money for good makeup. :smileyhappy: Once you're over it, it's not hard at all! Best wishes

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you for your support.  I super appreciate it.  I eagerly anticipate the days when it's not hard at all. Thank you.

prettyinpa

Hi Meg-

I am so so happy for you and your progress. It is such fun to cheer on someone who's fighting a big fight, kind of like going to a game and have your favorite team winning big!  The Jumbotron has your picture on it and is flashing that you're 80% done and headed for 85% done tomorrow. Go Meg, go Meg, rah-rah-rah!

I like the idea that you have rewarded yourself with the Lip set, it is most important to reward yourself along the way so you have a tangible thing to hold onto as you go. The lip set is perfect because you have a bunch of new lip colors and products to play with, not just one. 

We're all behind you in a good way! <3

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you my dear, I so deeply appreciate all the ways you've been supportive of me in this process.  I absolutely couldn't have come this far without your messages and support.

I'm excited for the Lip set.  Hopefully some of the colors will really suit me and I'll have lipstick to think of as my quitting lipstick and I can wear it on days when I need a boost.

Thank you so much.

LadyInWhite

That's phenomenal!  You're doing great; don't let one little slip-up get you down!  And the Give Me Some Lip set is a great deal, we promise.  I like the idea of waiting to buy until you're hit with a major smoking urge. fireworks.jpg

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  I'm doing a pretty good job of not beating myself up for slipping and just trying to be successful from here on out.  I think besides Give Me Some Lip, which I bought to make sure it didn't sell out, all my beauty bank purchases will be saved up for times when I'm having super urges.

RiaMo

This is awesome! Congrats!! You will get there! When my Husband quit years ago he said he had to stop going out with some friends that smoked that were triggers for him. So instead of going out for beers and hanging out, he would try alternate activities. He picked up Hockey again. He said keeping busy was the key for him. It was when he wasn't doing anything that he had the strongest urges. He had to change his habits to create new habits that didn't include smoking. I may not "know" you! I'm so proud of how far you have come!

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I definitely notice that long unstructured chunks of time are one of the biggest triggers for me.  I've been about that since coming home from my vacation.  I need to do more structured stuff and less sitting around watching Grey's Anatomy on netflix.   I've got some stuff I have to start doing before school starts so that will help I think.  Thank you for your support!  I couldn't do it without you guys.

kssweetheart

Hooray for you!!! That is soooo awesome. I lived in a house with 6 smokers and I'm a non-smoker...ugh. I know it's not easy to quit. I love your idea of 'beauty banking' part of the $$ from cigs - great incentive. You should be very proud of yourself.

I wasn't planning on going 'here' since I just posted sad news last week about the passing of a friend but, maybe this will help you even more, especially during those weak, weak moments.

My dad went into the hospital Wednesday night, 911 call just before midnight. My Mom & sis went w/ him and didn't get home until 10a Thurs. He has 2 Stents in his heart, Congestive Heart Failure, V-Fib, Emphysema & COPD (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease - kinda funny since my Dog had COPD, somebody must've been sneaking her smokes after winning races - she was a Greyhound) and he has Chronic Pneumonia. We've been back and forth with this numerous times & we know several 911 responders quite well. (ambulance etc.)

This, however, was the worst and most frightening to date. I'm used to all that goes on leading up to the 911 call but this was clearly different and very scary. The Dr. said, "This is not the Robert that I know, this is very, very serious, this is not good at all." among other things. They also asked if he wants/has a Standing DNR, he's had temporary ones but they need a permanent one :smileysad: It's not good. He just came home from the hospital 2 weeks ago, in for Pneumonia and they hooked him up to a heart monitor which revealed that whenever he stood or sat up his heart began racing like crazy. Thank God they put the monitor on him or we'd have never known, he's on a new Rx for that. So it's just a matter of time unfortunately. Although I know this can go on for a long time. They are treating him with several different very hard-core IV antibiotics, as his Dr. said, they're pulling out the "big guns"  He'll be in for a few more days. But usually he tries to joke and fool around with the 911 responders and the nurses and all, not this time, not at all.

Now for some good news - and this might be something good for you to hold onto, I hope it will help you. He has some 'sludge' sitting in his lower right lung and Pneumonia in the middle of that lung, it's usually his left lung. ***Good  News Alert*** There was a new Dr. who came in the other day and he went and looked at all of his x-rays and Cat Scans from the past 2-3 years and said that the old tests showed many, many lesions in his left lung and they are now almost non-existent. (He does have some type of mass in that lung, which they check regularly, but there is nothing to be done for that since he is not a candidate for surgery, but that's another story) He has been trying to quit smoking on and off for several years and the last 1 1/2 - 2 years have been better, he has cheated and I personally caught him a while back and it was not terribly pretty - long story. Ended up with me in tears having to leave the room, and while I was not disrespectful, I've never spoken to him like that.

So the bright spot here is that even a man who is 43 days away from his 85th B'day, who has multiple health issues can experience healing So Significant in his left lung in the course of a just a couple of years. All because he stopped smoking, for the most part. To me that is incredibly amazing. I hope that will give you another tool in your ''Smoking Avoidance Arsenal' just knowing how much you are doing for your body, how you are healing yourself more and more each and every day. Then factor in what you're doing for all of those around you, not to mention your bank and beauty accounts.

I am So, So, So Very Proud Of You and Happy For You!! :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: You Rock!! Every day is one day closer to being cigarette free. You'll find an entire new world of scents that you didn't know you weren't experiencing. Think of how nice it will be when you can smell your delicious perfume of choice and hopefully get compliments on how good you smell. It will be Joyous!! Hang in there, you've got all my support and prayers coming your way, Go Girl!! :smileyhappy:

ps - Sorry this was sooo long, but I felt it would perform a service to you and hopefully others. So I hope whoever is meant to read this will just happen to find it and make their way through it. :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy:

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Wow, I'm honored that you chose to share your experience.  I'm so sorry your father's health is so fragile.  But it does make me feel better to know that the lesions in his lungs have healed.  I've heard that you can heal from most of the damage smoking did to your body within a few years and I hold tight to that, it's nice to hear an example from real life.

Thank you so much for the support and encouragement and for sharing from your experiences.  I appreciate it, and you.

LindaDD

Congratulations on your progress! I'm not sure what you're using to quit, but a couple of my friends have used little lollipops-- they say it helps to have something small to work on when they have a craving.

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you!  I'm trying to avoid using food as a substitute because that way lies madness, but I'm thinking of using altoids or maybe toothpicks.

LindaDD

Toothpicks sounds like a great idea. From what I've heard, part of the issue is replacing the ritual of smoking with something else. And I definitely hear from former smokers that they miss going outside and talking with their fellow smokers.

bababab

Congrats! Keep up the good work :smileyhappy:

Meg82

(0) Hearts

Thank you!

pearlgirl7

Congrats on your progress!! That lip set sounds great, but I also like your idea of saving the decision for when you need a distraction from wanting a cigarette.

Like wendyomgwar, I have also been thinking that this is a great idea and have been trying to decide if I want to do something like this for myself.   

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 73 hearts
  • 24 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • maltipoo66
    • pearlgirl7
    • bababab
    • wendyomgwar
    • poshified