sephoramusthave

January No Buy

I'm in for the win. Who's with me?

shyvicki

Re: January No Buy

Too late for me for January. The tinted moisturizer I had ordered online turned out to be too light. So I sent it back and went to my nearest store to get Smashbox BB Cream. I had in-store credit I hadn't used yet plus a Simon Mall gift card I got for Christmas. I could easily do a February no-buy, though. BTW, love the BB cream.

maltipoo66

HALF WAY DONE!!! How's everybody holding up?  I haven't given in yet, but my shopping list is slowly growing..... :smileyhappy:

dianabt

good job maltipoo66!

I just realized, does it count if someone buys you something you wanted? :smileywink: I received a random facial mask (sort of like the Boscia black mask) but more of a peel off mask ONLY for the nose made by a random Japanese brand... But since it wasn't my money, that is okay right? My No-Buy is still a success otherwise! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

If you get beauty items as gifts then thats awesome and has nothing to do with your own personal no buy. My mom just got me a GORGEOUS smokey eye shadow quad/palette from Clarins and even though I havent tried it on yet, I love the colors in the palette and cant wait to use them!!!! This is the closest swatch I was able to find, it has a glittery black, a darker purple, a shimmery silver and a shimmery white.

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@diana: Someone else's spending definitely does not count! :smileyhappy:

and, I totally failed this month...no buy starts in February? :smileyembarrassed:

dianabt

@sephoramusthave is that the palette you got? those swatches are SO PRETTY! :smileyhappy:

@katie it's okay! it's not like you bought stuff everyday right? I was buying things a few times a week, totally had to cut down =( LOL

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

diana---Yes it is! It took me a few minutes to find an accurate swatch but thats it! I have yet to try it on though, and its my very first Clarins makeup item. I bought a Clarins lipstick for my mom once and she said that its the most pigmented lipstick she's ever owned (and thats saying a lot coming from a true product junkie). I wonder why Sephora doesnt sell the Clarins makeup...or the Origins makeup!! :smileysad:

The no buy is only for beauty products that you dont need, if you run completely out of something then you are free to buy, and a no buy on anything else is totally up to you. ( So get that plane ticket!!)

I've been doing great on my no buy this month, I have plenty of things to use/play around with and I've gotten so much great stuff for Christmas that I havent even gotten a chance to try. But that hasnt stopped me from gawking at the Dior Spring 2012 Garden Party Collection haha!

berniebeauty

sephoramusthave wrote:  

I've been doing great on my no buy this month, I have plenty of things to use/play around with and I've gotten so much great stuff for Christmas that I havent even gotten a chance to try. But that hasnt stopped me from gawking at the Dior Spring 2012 Garden Party Collection haha!

I know what you mean! I've had lots of fun playing around with what I own, but I can't take my eyes off of benefit's Hervana...really excited to get it.

But I doubled up, and I started ten pan at the beginning of the year as well, and I'm not doing nearly as well at that. I've finished 1 product so far.... and it wasn't the sample!! I rally need to get rid of that buddy, but I don't have time on the weekends, and if it turns out bad I don't want to go to school all red faced. Ahh. Oh well.

But I am doing well on this one, so thats good :smileyhappy:

~We are all beautiful~~

dianabt

@sephoramusthave I have tried a few Clarins products before, I worked in a department store that sold them and they were VERY popular. And I agree, it would be GREAT to have Origins cosmetics! AND the body scrubs.. the ginger is SO delicious smelling :smileyhappy: The Dior palettes are beautiful! I wish the photo on our site was a bit more accurate.. it has 3 eyeshadows and the 2 glosses but the picture has the mirror divider that makes it appear like 3 glosses and 2 shadows.. you can only see that pretty green shade a TINY bit...

@berniebeauty I want the Hervana too! I'd really LOVE to try it on first and make sure it shows up on me. The Sugarbomb (which looks pretty similar!)  had no color on my skin, I was so sad!  My first February haul is going to break the bank I think. I'm trying REALLY hard to not spend on cosmetics for January! 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

I used my Clarins eyeshadow quad for the first time today and I love it! Of course, I have to play around with it a little more to rave about it but I wore the shimmery silvery grey(taupe? Is taupe silvery grey because I have no idea) and I used the shimmery white on the middle of my lid(the BEST shimmery white I ever had!) and as a highlight. I also used my Shiseido The Hydro Powder Eye Shadow in H9 Glistening Sand as base/primer and the color stayed on my lids all day! Its *very* pigmented, and you get the stunning colors in the palette transferred to your lids without using very much, it blends/applies like a dream and it comes in fancy packaging (which explains the $40 price tag...) and you can make daytime looks with this just as easily as a smokey eye. And to think that my mom got this baby at TJ Maxx for just $10! Huzzah! Now I completely regret not buying that Clarins blush I saw at TJ Maxx before the holidays...

prettyinpa

@sephoramusthave- And she got it at TJMaxx?  Aw, that's great!!! What an awesome shopper!

sephoramusthave

Yep! My locations dont have anything I like beauty wise anymore, except for a bunch of TheBalm kits that are now for sale for 24 bucks or less(but I have most of the products in the kits so I pass)...they seem to have sold out of everything over the holidays but they are always ordering more stuff in so you never know...I try to go in at least twice a month. Before Christmas I found an Origins skincare kit for $48 and its $68 originally. I kept the Modern Friction scrub for myself and gave the rest away (it was for mature skin..youthtopia).

We should start a thread where we rave about products we already have to remind ourselves that shopping out of our own bathroom is just as fun!

waterbaby1981

sephoramusthave:  with the shopping out of our own bathrooms...isn't that what the Project 10 Pan thread is for?  :smileywink:

sephoramusthave

jxw200---Exchanges dont count (so youre safe!) as long as you didnt add any new money to your exchange product. :smileyvery-happy:

waterbaby1981--Well in the Project 10 Pan we only talk about the 10 items on our lists...and most of us have *so much more* stuff that we love!!

prettyinpa

[ Edited ]

@sephoramusthave-  Your idea is sort of like the former post "Shop Your Stash" where we searched around our collections for neglected items and put them into daily rotation, but we didn't actually rave about them, it was mostly just about what stuff we had hidden away. 

I did shop around my beauty closet and did find some neglected stuff that I put into project 10 pan and have been steadily whittling away at, but I also found a lot of stuff that was neglected for a reason!  When I tried them again, I found out why they were sitting around, my new stuff generally did work better. But my collection is extensive enough that I could definitely do it again and find some neglected products that are actually good!

But I'll go ahead and post to see if we can revive the theme with the twist that the product has to be rave worthy, not just some old neglected item.

dianabt

My January No Buy was going SO WELL until I stepped into a Sephora store and bought my mom the Alterna Kendi Oil Bamboo Mist and some nail stickers.. Technically I bought them both for her because the one I saw I wasn't sure if I already had... I'm just trying to convince myself that I didn't give in but I think I FAILED! hahaha I think 20 days was pretty good though! =/ .... I'm afraid what February has in store for me with tax refunds coming back and ALL my skincare running out right now.

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
sephoramusthave

I made it through January without spending money on beauty items! Huzzah!!

The victory...is mine. To the cake!

prettyinpa

Congratulations sephoramusthave!  I actually finished January No-buy from when I started right after my birthday (1st week of Jan) and plan to continue through February. I spent way too much on my vacation and am completely tapped out of fun money, so no more makeup for awhile! But the vacation was great and very relaxing so it was money well spent, I was so frazzled before I left and depressed from the dark cloudy weather, so fun in the sun was just what I needed!

kssweetheart

@sephoramusthave - I'm so envious of your willpower and your Cake!! Yum!  Did you see that cake picture somewhere or did you actually have that cake? Looks delish. If you've had it, where? how good? I'm drooling.

sephoramusthave

Haha no its just a picture I found using the Bing Search engine. I LOVE top cat cakes (and this ones got some glamour too!) but I've never had one. They must be super expensive because they are tall and you have to special order them.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 45 replies
  • 160 hearts
  • 18 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • shyvicki
    • maltipoo66
    • anaa