FireSpinner

Insanity challenge?

Now this is fitness post so it's realllly off topic lol.

But has anyone tried the Insanity program? I'm thinking of buying it and trying it, as i've got 56 pounds to lose to reach my goal of 120lbs. Does it work? Is it impossible?

DTalksAll

Re: Insanity challenge?

I've done a few of the workouts, but won't purchase it. I need variety & have about 20 different workout DVD's & a bunch of full videos saved from youtube. I like to change it up depending on my mood & energy level. If I'm pressed for time, it's a Jillian Michaels 20 min full body circuit, if I'm stressed then I do yoga. I also have Ballet, a malibu pilates chair, kick boxing... The key is to do something! 

miabt

(0) Hearts

Whew!  Insanity is no joke!  I've struggled the first few times, but always felt great after!  I think as long as you're dedicated & really doing the whole thing (the workouts AND diet) you can shed the weight you want.  Aim for healthy, not skinny :smileyhappy:  A lot of people have told me that more than half of losing weight is dependent on your diet, not necessarily the workouts.  A friend of mine from my daughters school shared her weight loss success using Insanity and P90X & she looks amazing, so its not at all impossible :smileywink:  Good luck!!

xo, Mia

JGSFLA

I prefer boot camp because ITS DIFFERENT every day and fun..one minute your jumping rope and the next your playing tug of war..i get bored with excercise very easily so i need to swtitch it up every day,..i think all videos get boring!

spoiledbrat

(0) Hearts

kinda off topic, but how many TV personalities and actresses do think are anorexic? i just do not see how they could not be - at 107 i called a fatty, given i am only 5'4", but fat? - my BMI is 9 - would love input - thanks

lylysa

This kind of question can open up a slew of answers and frankly turn a simple thread over inquiries and reviews over work out programs into something that can be quite touchy or personal.

Eating disorders are something that I think everyone here can agree on is not something one can lighty tred on, so to ask such a loaded question as "how many folks do you think are anorexic?" isn't going to be answered casually. If you're looking for honest fitness and health answers, consult a doctor or physican in regards to your measurements, body type, weight, and height. 

We're not trying to brush off that eating disorders exist, but to hijack Firespinner's thread isn't fair to her. There's no need to valid reasoning to bring up eating disorders in leiu of you wanting opinions about your own weight or self image. The two have no direct link. Whether or not television personalities or Hollywood stars are anorexic holds no sway as to whether your personal measurements make you fat or not fat. You are your own individual, your inquiry about your health is one that is individual to you, it doesn't concern the state of stars. Again, if you're concerned heavily or even curious about being or maintaining a healthy body and lifestyle, consult a professional.

divagirl90

(0) Hearts

I've been thinking of trying insanity for a few days now. I want to lose about 40 lbs. I met someone who went from a size 12 to a size 6 doing the program - and she wasn't eating healthy at all.

BT Insanity Support Group anyone? lol

jcmb

(0) Hearts

I did Insanity pre-baby for almost six months. I wasn't looking to lose weight at that point, just toning up. But as someone else said, it is very hard on your joints. As women we have more likelihood of joint problems. I was careful with the jumping, trying to cushion my landings. But I was always sore (namely hips and thighs) and Capsaican cream became my best friend. I got a little more toned but truthfully walking, biking and weight-lifting is much better for me. A work friend just recently started it and I later asked how it was going. She said she stopped because it was too hard on her joints. My advice, if you do it, start slow, like 2 times a week and make adjustments during the routine as they suggest and as you see fit.

carolang

(0) Hearts

P90X!! 

I love the variety of workouts. Yes there is a lot of weight lifting. I started with 4 lb weights. You will not get super bulky with that. Yoga is also incorporated - one of the days is an hour and a half of yoga. I got so much more flexible, and I used to think yoga was silly but it's an amazing workout.

I am not a fan of insanity. I only did part of one workout with a friend and I couldn't make it past the warm up! It's way, way too much jumping around and is quite hard on your joints. Maybe it's because I am a distance runner and have been taught to conserve ener... But this just was not for me. 

What I recommend you do is check out... It's what I refer to as "Asian YouTube" with my friends. Type into google - "youku P90x cardio X" - its the shortest one and it has a mix of all the videos. Ok my iPad won't let me sees this text I am typing and it's terrible at autocorrect so I'll comment any fixes that are important enough to note below this. But definitely try a workout from each online first. Or if you don't think it's tool inconvenient look upbthevworkout schedule and justo"youku" them all!

carolang

(0) Hearts

So the website is youku :smileyhappy:

Also I'd like to note I've seen more noticeable weight loss with weight lifting than with crazy cardio. I was running a lot last year for ex, a few halfs... No weight loss... P90X I actually lost too much weight and had to reduce the number of days I did it.

I don't mind the banter but yes you can just do the music only version.

dolceloure

(0) Hearts

I'm a big fitness buff and have been dying to try out Insanity since it came out way back when! But it's so expensive. :smileysad: It looks worth it to me though if you're committed. The only thing I'd caution against is that it seems to be very high impact, so if you get joint pain I'd stay clear of this! 

Of all those multi-dvd workout systems, I've done another one of Shaun T's non-hardcore series -- Rockin Body. It's all dancey...fun as heck, but not super challenging. I've also done Supreme 90 Day w/ Tom Holland, which is much, much cheaper (but good quality) version of P90X....it's about 60% strength training and 40% cardio. One last alternate I'd suggest is like, *any* workout by Cathe Friedrich. She's my hero, and does mostly advanced exercise dvds. They're a bit pricey, but totally worth it!! 

Sorry, I know that was kind of a tangent, but just wanted to recommend what I knew about since I haven't tried Insanity (yet!!) :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

If you opt to do Insanity or any circuit body workouts that have been sweeping the exercise scene, be sure you do the fitness tests that come with the program. They're meant as a much needed and required necessity to help gauge your level of fitness so you know how to properly engage the program.

I haven't done the Insanity workout, but I do use Georges St. Pierre's Rushfit program. It's a full body circuit program that does end up working on stability core strength, and I mean core as in more than just your abs. It's great because you get a good work out, but it's also a program that won't wear you out so much to where if you invest your time in other exercises like swimming, running,or bike riding you can still do those things.

I've had friends that used P90X (mentioned by Kalex as part of the Insanity/Beach Body Work Outs) and have even been present during the time some of the training videos were on and as a personal note, I can't get into programs that just have absurd conversations during a work out. I believe at one point the trainer was referring to one exercise like stirring a pot of soup so he had this whole "Yeah! Mix it! Stir that soup, stir it up good!" thing going and started asking the work out folks with him things like "Hey, Tony, what kind of soup you stirring? Potato soup? Yeah, stir that potato soup!" Yeah......that stuff just makes me want to giggle and not focus on the work out. Again, that's a personal note, I find that stuff distracted in any type of work out, even the conversations that get too hokey. The GSP vids don't have any of that and the trainer (Erik Owings) is very matter of fact and to the point with his guidelines and his banter with GSP is motivational and helps you see that even a kick butt fighter like GSP struggles with exercises and training.

kalex

Yes!  The dialogue does get on my nerves.  Fortunately you can choose to leave the sound off.  That's what I started doing after I no longer needed instruction on how to do the exercises. 

janinebt

Haha I'm the same kalex. I almost always just listen to a playlist when I pop in a workout DVD.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
lylysa

You mean you don't want to stir the pot of clam chowder?? :smileytongue:

kalex

No.  No I do not.

Though I did laugh (the first time) when he was contemplating why we say "tippy" toes.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Crazy "work out" banter drives me just that...CRAZY! I get they're trying to motivate folks, but if I'm already investing time into a program, no trainer needs to use jazzy phrases to get me into it...I'm already into, I just want to work out...not stir a pot of potato soup! Haha!

melisa16

(0) Hearts

I am in pretty good shape and I did it because I wanted to work out but balance college life too. I followed it, it was demanding, not going to lie. However, I would not do it again because it made my legs very muscular, and not the lean kind. For a month, I had to go up a size in jeans, so after that, I did regular cardio to lose it. So overall if your just trying to lose weight and dont build muscle easily, do it but also follow the meal plan

kalex

(0) Hearts

I just started doing P90X again, which is another one of the Beachbody workouts, and it is hard - even for someone who is relatively "in shape".  I have heard that Insanity is even harder.  

If it's something you're up to the challenge of just make sure you take it slow and don't feel bad if you can only do half the workout. Also, check Craigslist before buying it at full price.

janinebt

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I completely 3/4ths of Insanity. I was doing it daily but was losing way too much weight so I changed it to 3-4 times a week instead. It's a very intense program that I find is good for cardio. I did have some muscle development but not as much as I would have liked, it's more of a cardio based program in my opinion :smileyhappy:. I feel like you could probably get the absolute most out of it by following the meal plan though.

Do be careful. I know too many people that have injured themselves while doing Insanity due to over working/pushing their bodies. I injured my IT band from getting a little too Insanity happy.

I really want to try some of the other programs out there though!

Whimsically yours,
Janine
calamityjane85

(0) Hearts

My bff is doing it now, and she said it is killing her. She is in good shape.  I also have to loose some lbs (about 40) and was considering doing it but I may pass out as I am in no shape at all lol :-)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 21 replies
  • 11 hearts
  • 15 in conversation
    • kalex
    • DTalksAll
    • spoiledbrat
    • melisa16
    • janinebt
    • lylysa