jenjendoitagain

I'm sure I'll get backlash, but I have to say it.

The past couple of days have really made me rethink the integrity of this forum.

There have been numerous posts from new members or special guests wanting genuine answers to their concerns, and I have seen many sarcastic remarks made towards them about their questions. Yes, they may be repetitive but these are people too.  Everyone has feelings and I don't think it's fair to make fun of someone because they may have asked the same question another person may have asked an hour ago, or a year ago. Sometimes people come in here not to browse, but to specifically only want an answer to their question.  They don't come in here to search for an answer, but to get one.

It isn't fair to make a smart remark regarding their questions or inserting an ignorant picture meme. When that person comes back to check for an answer they are viewing this and probably getting their feelings hurt; which may ultimately lead to the demise of BeautyTalk. They will not feel the need to come back or even want to be involved in a place like this. I realize that some people do have a certain sense of humor, but take into account other peoples feelings before posting a 'funny' picture or a smart remark. It may even make them feel like they don't want to make a purchase from Sephora. We don't know how other people think and what they feel. Shouldn't we try to be a little more compassionate and understanding?

With a lot of these new posts, we're not sure how old the person is. They could be 12 up to 60. Wouldn't you feel bad if your 13 year old daughter was asking a legit question in a forum and got rude responses? Before we post things, I think we should think first how someone would feel.

I really feel like this is high school again with certain clicks judging other new people. Everyone was new at some point and we're all guilty of doing certain things that are plainly stated we shouldn't do in the BeautyTalk Rules. I made a thread before about how excited I was about BT and how I wish sales associates would have told me about BT and got many comments about how many don't like it shared. Is this what we do when we don't want to share? Push them away with bitter, cutting remarks or taunting? Again, some people may not 'get' your sarcasm. There is a time and place for that and a newcomers thread isn't that place.

I was new at one point, only a couple months ago, so I am still relatively new. I understand that by posting this, I am probably setting myself up for some nasty PM's or will no longer be accepted in this world. But, ultimately I want to express my feelings because I do have such a strong passion about this subject. I was once bullied in high school and when I see certain comments or posts, it brings back bad memories and I empathize with the person whom its directed towards. It's just not fair to do some of the things that have been going on the past couple of days. Treat others how you would wish to be treated.

If I'm not welcome in here anymore by speaking my mind, I will at least bow out knowing that I did what was right.

kalex

Re: I'm sure I'll get backlash, but I have to say it.

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I hope the Mod's close this thread down and disable additional comments.  Some are getting out of hand.  

I'm reading through some comments going, "Did I do that?  I don't think I did that.  Who are they referencing?  I really hope it's not me...."  It's making me feel insecure.

nikki

Raise your hand if you have ever been personally victimized by Kalex

garnett

I have Miss Norbury!  :smileysad:

chupi

This thread has made a mountain out of a molehill.

ShinyMagpie

(0) Hearts

Well said chupi!

ShinyMagpie

After reading through this it sounds to me like you should take your own advice jenjen. You've made your point and I think you should let it go. 

jojobe

I don't do it for the hearts.....

LindenAnn

Can we go back to the Dr. Who thread? I liked the Dr. Who thread. :smileysad:

nebel

WHOVIANS UNITE!

garnett

I was up very late last night.   I was browsing Amazon and almost bought a license plate frame that said,  "My other car is a TARDIS."   then I remembered my vow not to shop online after 2am.  :smileyhappy: 

mafan

(0) Hearts

Garnett, this one is for you:

I saw this car in my work parking lot.  I obviously found that other car.

calamityjane85

Spoiler
Get ready for heart parties because I smell a mod coming with a trigger finger on the delete button.  No I'm not being snarky. Xoxo. 
kalex

No!  And no rainbow positivity parties either!

calamityjane85

You don't like unicorn poop?   :smileyvery-happy:

gingerblack

Also, I see people in this thread talking about or linking specific threads or comments and talking about how rude the people are who said things. Is this any better than what you say they did? You are pretty much gossiping about someone on a public thread. I think that is also really mean and hurtful. I hope people will delete the text in comments that reference certain threads or comments.

nikki

I think this thread is falling into the trap of what it is complaining about. I wasn't part of either threads, but I think assigning motives and tarring and feathering girls for a few silly comments is a little much. I agree that everyone should be respectful to each other, especially since tone is hard to read over the internet. I am a naturally snarky person, but I try to monitor what I say since you can't see expression over the internet.

But I don't think any of those girls meant any harm by their comments, most probably didn't think about how others would see it. I answer all questions as if they are serious, even the troll who hates makeup! I do repeat myself often, and I think Jojobe's thread was not meant to be mean, but a very reasonable suggestion. A lot of good threads get buried because of posters asking the same question in every forum, or wanting to link accounts. Of course, that doesn't mean we should chase them off with pitchforks and torches either.

So yes, let's be nice to new people. Everyone was new at some point, and I love BT for being a tolerant, cheerful helpful group of sweet girls. But don't forget that not only are there real people behind the new questions, there are real sweet girls we know behind the silly comments that are being judged as terrible people for a few comments in one thread. 

lilahtov

Yes, Bravissima to this!

nebel

Brava, Nikki!

leolion

I can see both sides of the coin.  I think it is fine and even necessary to inform and even gently encourage people to use the search bar because it is not good to have too many repeat threads, but I also feel that taking it to another level of making fun of people was mean and unnecessary.  I was kind surprised.  Another poster made a VERY good point that new products are coming out about every week, so there may not be as many repeat posts as people think.  I felt bad for people when I read that thread.

lecia1167

Exactly. How many products are discontinued?

jenjendoitagain

I'm not going to make any further comments regarding this post, but I do stand strongly by everything I've said.

Just to be clear, all I meant from this was that I want BeautyTalk to stay around for a long time. If people continue to be "sarcastic", or rude, Sephora and the mods may remove BeautyTalk due to all the hostility.

I just want a happy friendly, growing community of people to come and gather information without being bullied.

images.jpg

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 153 replies
  • 1017 hearts
  • 54 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • kenny
    • killahbabe
    • chupi