MonopolizeMe

How to style my dress?

Hi All,

I'm in need of some styling expertise. There is a relatively formal "ball" coming up in a month that I need to attend, and this is the dress I will be wearing to it. dress.jpg

upload_7630290548799842305.gif

upload_1120638640699105087.gifI'm at a loss of what to wear with it though- for example, should I look for matching shoes or would that be too bridesmaid-sy? Or should I go with some strappy metallic shoes like the model's got on? What sort of shoes would you wear with a dress like this? I had some bright red ones in mind, but I'm afraid I'll look like I'm an idiot with shoes that stand out too much- although I have adored that sort of look on others.

On another note, how about make up? light and natural-ish with a smoky eye for some drama or a little more done up, with a dramatic lip? That's the route I tend to go as I love bold lip colors and I wear glasses, (and I will be wearing them at this event too) so I usually don't do smoky eyes or any other sort of darker eye makeup. I'm attaching a picture I just took of myself (please ignore the crap quality) to this exceedingly long post, and the only makeup I have on is some eyeliner that has smudged quite a bit since I put it on this morning and some blush that I just got and am in the process of swatching/testing. Any suggestions about makeup looks or products to try would be very welcome!photo.JPG

JayReed

Re: How to style my dress?

You have very beautiful skin! I suggest a winged eyeliner with a red lip! Shoes I would go with silver! I want to see pictures!

MonopolizeMe

Thank you! and I will try to upload some after the event :smileyhappy: So sorry for the delayed response

tracygirl64

Stunning dress! :smileyhappy:  I would do metallic shoes with it, like the model. As far as your features, which one do you want to emphasize more? You could go with really dramatic eyes and toned-down lips or a bold lip with smudged/smokey eyes, like others are suggesting. Either way you go, it will look fabulous! :smileyhappy:1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

oh wow I WISH I were that talented at eye makeup. I will probably end up doing a simple eye with a bold lip though hahaha it's just easier for me :smileytongue: Thank you for your advice! And sorry this response is so delayed..

tashalicious

i would do the metallic shoe( like the model), cat eyes, and bold lips. :smileywink:

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

That sounds like exactly what I'm going to end up going with. Thanks!!

sn22

yup, I'm with kalex. Silver shoes and a bold lip with smudged liner would be gorgeous! 

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

Sounds perfect! You guys are so good at this haha. Thank you :smileyhappy:

kalex

Silver shoes like the model would be gorgeous for sure!  I agree that shoes in the color of the dress would be too bridesmaid-y and I honestly can't picture red shoes with this (I'm not "daring" like that though).

I think a bold lip and slightly smudgy eye makeup like in the above photo would be perfect! (Totally envy your complexion btw.)

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

Yeah, I've gotten the dress now and when I tried it with my favorite red shoes, I really didn't like the way it looked, so it's a good thing I ordered some metallic ones to try out. Thank you for the advice!

nikki

I agree completely.  A soft gray could be used on the lid as well.

MonopolizeMe

Hmm..I normally stick to bronze-y, or golden eyeshadows, but a soft gray might actually be very interesting with this. Time to go play with my makeup haha. Thanks for the inspiration!!

nikki

(0) Hearts

I'm glad I could inspire you! Show us pictures if you feel comfortable :smileyhappy:

SirenPrincess

First, that is a breathtaking dress!  Good choice!  I love it.

I would wear it with a silver shoe for sure, but you've got flexibility on what style.  Pick something cute because they will definitely stand out.  I personally wouldn't go for matching exactly.  Plus, then you could wear the shoes with other things.

For make-up, my first thought was a smokey eye and neutral lip with that dress, BUT I think it's more important to wear make-up you will LOVE.  So if you're a bold lip kind of girl, totally do that.  You want to like your make-up in all the photos.

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

That's actually a very important point that I didn't really think about enough. I mean I knew I was going to be taking pictures, but I just realized that every time I've done a dramatic eye and had my glasses on, the pictures have looked terrible omg, so you just gave me more of a reason to not go that route. Thank you again for the advice, and I love the dress too! :smileyhappy:

LindenAnn

[ Edited ]

First of all, you have great skin! :smileyvery-happy:

If you want to go with the red shoes I think you could pull it off nicely if paired with a red lip and maybe just some black liner on the eyes. I'd pick up some silver shoes just in case though. They can be used with all sorts of things and that way if you aren't comfortable with the red shoes you can do red lips and silver shoes and look amazing.

Alternatively, a smokey eye and nude lip would look very nice with strappy silver shoes. I'm kind of leaning towards the red lip myself, but I love red lips. :smileywink:

MonopolizeMe

(0) Hearts

I love red lips too, so I definitely get where you're coming from! And to be honest, i'm just not that confident with my eye-makeup skills at this point to do something truly amazing, so I'll take the easy way out with a bold lip and simpler eyes. Thank you again!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 17 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • kalex
    • nikki
    • tracygirl64
    • sn22
    • tashalicious
    • MonopolizeMe