MintShake

How to lose * alot of weight*

Ok, ( I need to stop asking embarrassing questions), but I need to lose A LOT of weight. I know that it's not an overnight thing, and it takes months, and even years to not just lose weight, but maintain weight loss. 

hazelsmrf

Re: How to lose * alot of weight*

For most people diets don't work as a diet implies it's something you do to lose weight and then you stop doing it,  and well that doesn't work.   Also your metabolism is probably slower than a naturally thin person's metabolism (either from birth or years of yo-yo dieting) so the unfair truth is that even if you did get to goal weight,  you wouldn't be able to eat as much as a person who had never been overweight to begin with,  making it very hard to maintain.  I did the years of yo yo dieting because I did NOT feel I needed surgery,  surgery felt like the easy way out.   But reaching my mid 30s gave me a kick in the pants, and after doing a ton of research I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy a little over a year ago.  I'm down 130 pounds and it's been work,  but it hasnt felt hopeless like before.  I work out with a personal trainer,  lift heavy weights,  eat lots of protein,  take my vitamins,  and that's that.   Next month I'm having plastic surgery to get rid of all the extra skin that the years of abuse I put my body through left me. 

Dolan

Drink at least a gallon and a half of water a day.

prettyinpa

[ Edited ]

Don't be afraid to ask for a takeout box right when your meal is delivered at a restaurant. Then when the food is served, immediately take half (or more) of what's on your plate and put it in the takeout box. Save it for lunch the next day or a later meal. Restaurant portions are way above what you should eat in a meal, sometimes they are a whole day's calorie intake in one entree! Your freezer is your best friend- cook up a big batch of whatever you're cooking and freeze the extra in single serving portions. You can then just microwave up a container when you are tired or it's late or you just don't feel like cooking.

I eat vegan and find it to be no trouble to maintain my weight, but the advice to ask your doctor first is essential. You may have a medical reason why you can't eat vegetarian or vegan, and you should take that into account. Otherwise, I'd say transition into vegetarianism by fixing one vegetarian meal per day and working your way up. Western diet is way too high in animal products for healthy humans, so if you cut out some meat and substitute veggies and complex carbohydrates you will be doing your body a favor. It will thank you for with more energy and better skin and better long term health.

You don't have to deprive yourself of your favorites, just cut back on them. Slowly eat the first bite or 2, savoring them, then check to see if you are satisfied. You don't have to eat the whole thing to feel satisfied, science has proven that the first couple of bites are key in satiety.

Exercise is the same way for me. If it's early in the AM, or I am tired, I put on my exercise clothes and tell myself, just 10 minutes. I do the 10 minutes intently (no reading or loafing, I work hard), then I reassess and see if I want to continue. Almost always, by then I am warmed up and continue for the other 20 minutes for a 30 minute total. If I am not feeling up to it, I quit at 10 and vow to do better tomorrow. Everything in moderation and listen to what your body is telling you.

sangova

I even didn't finish reading you comment and can't help myself but agree with the very first few lines. My friends and I just went to an Elephant Bar restaurant the other day, and every meal's calories were 1300 - 1800 range. And I'm sure it is not exact, because dressings and sauces are not included in calculations. 

I didn't even know what to order :smileyhappy:

janinebt

Everyone's provided you with good tips. Cardio, healthy eating, and staying hydrated helps a ton.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
yenx

(0) Hearts

I found an app on my Samsung called "walking mate". It's a great app for counting your steps. It basically keeps track of how many steps you take throughout the day. It also sets a goal of 10,000 steps.

killahbabe

I think that they key to weight loss is to learn about nutrition. Read your food labels! You can still go out to eat at restaurants without gaining weight... as long as you're prepared before you go. Many restaurants offer online nutrition information... use it. Just make sure you're burning more calories than you consume.

Cardio and strength training are your friend. Even if you hate working out (I loathe typical workouts), get your body moving! Since I'm such a hater of working out, I do HIIT (high-intensity interval training) so I spend less time working out but put in a ton of effort for the duration.

Also, do activities that are fun for you. When it's not a polar vortex outside I love rollerskating in my local park. I can do that for hours. Burns tons of calories and doesn't feel like "work". For inside workouts, I love boxing. I bought myself a boxing dummy that lights up in different regions... makes it almost like playing a game.

I went from 147lbs to 103lbs back in 2012 and it took me 5 months. No crazy pills, no fad diets... just plain old exercise and proper nutrition. It should be noted that I have hypothyroidism and am on the depo shot, so losing weight is not something that comes easy to me by any means. But as long as you stick with it, the pounds will come off and you'll have more muscle-tone to boot!

Good luck on your journey! :smileyhappy:

katie1724

[ Edited ]

I think Lylysa mentioned this, and I definitely agree -- have you consulted your doctor? Without knowing anything at all about you, I think delving into subjects like these and offering suggestions can be dangerous because everyone is so different -- particularly when specific weight losses / weights (in general) are mentioned. What is feasible and healthy for one person may be completely not for someone else, and it's too easy to make comparisons or generalizations that do not apply to everyone, and may not apply to you at all. 

Genetics and bone structure also have everything to do with weight, too -- this is why medical professionals are best at determining what a healthy weight is, because it's so individualized; there are too many factors. Relying on any kind of general chart can be grossly inaccurate -- and even BMI doesn't take muscle and genetics into account. 

1cros3nail4givn

[ Edited ]

Okay I tried alot of the weight loss diets that work wonders for most people but I find they are way too much work too many pills too many meals to cook. That made me want to quit more than anything. Oh plus even though I was really good at them i hardly lost anything like 5lbs maybe. Then I noticed as I ran out of some of the pills and started breaking some of the rules I actually started losing weight....crazy.

Okay so here are my rules:

1. Drink at least 1/2 your weight in water every day. So calculate that up....and if it's too hard to make yourself remember to drink throughout the day Then decide the amounts between every meal like as for me I drink 2 big classes or   24-32oz of water at breakfast lunch and dinner.

2. Eat lean non processed protein and a fruit or veggie with every meal!! Go ahead and get full just be healthy about it!

3. Eat carbs once a day we actually need them to burn weight but it's the complex carbs that we need like whole wheats ...and check and make sure it's really whole wheat most things lie and just say they are lentils and quinoa is always safe and then beans and other complex carbs

Best advice:

-Its easiest to not cheat on a diet when you don't put yourself in situations where your easily tempted. Don't always go out to eat with your friends they will understand. I just told my boyfriend I didn't want to go out to eat all the time because it's making me gain weight and he completely understood and now he's doing the same thing. NEVER have junk foods or anything you shouldn't be eating in your house....it's temptation if I went on a diet but last week I bought some bags of chocolate..you better believe my diet ends there. So don't have it anywhere in the house!!! NEVER go to the grocery store hungry either or else your gonna come home with a bag of candy some cookie dough and some ice cream. so don't do it! Lol

itscarin

Ugh, can we trade my boyfriends?  Mine is on the frozen-pizzas-kit-kats-and-pop-tarts diet and it's killing me!

Plantgarden

(0) Hearts

I forgot To mention, ..  I started using "Lose it" an app for my phone (There maybe a web version).   I log my food intake and weight.  It will track of your previous meals/food.  It will also scan bar codes and find the food.  It has helped me tremendously.  <3

* There are other apps out there with similar features. 

1cros3nail4givn

(0) Hearts

yeah that really is a good one it's not a pain counting because it counts for you and it really makes you think. "Okay that ice cream is 200cals for one scoop do I reallly need it?"

roxystar4

[ Edited ]

a few ideas:

* don't get hungry (have healthy snacks available in your purse at all times) When I get hungry thats when I make poor food choices. Keep lots of hummus, and fresh cut veggies in your fridge.

* walk. Park further from the store, take the stairs and walk with friends or alone. order a book to listen to on your iPod  or some great tunes - start small 20 minutes a day and work up. 

* start lifting weights. sounds crazy but building muscle burns fat

* Eat real food. It fills you up and gives your body the nutrients it needs. I recently read that we are starving nutritionally when we eat foods like McDonalds, chips, etc. we keep taking in the calories but our bodies are craving the vitamins and nutrients it needs for brain, heart and vital organ function. so with these empty foods we just keep eating and eating.

* I agree with whomever wrote about find out why you are eating/gaining weight. Is it an emotional addiction? Maybe seek counseling. a dear dear friend of mine has struggled with being very overweight for a long time. She goes to over eaters anonymous and it has helped her.

*hugs* and I hope this helps.

xpap

You've gotten a ton of great advice from all those that have posted so far! I wanted to add that one huge key to success is planning ahead and being prepared. It is so much easier to call for takeout or snack on junk food/fast food when you get home and have nothing to eat. I do my shopping and meal prep on the weekends when I have time, that way after a long day at work I don't have to cook dinner from scratch. This also lets me bring lunch to work which is way healthier (and cheaper!!) than eating out all the time.

One other thing to look into: a slow cooker. I am definitely behind the 8 ball with this but I recently discovered the magic of slow cookers and I am in love!

Good luck in your journey to a healthier lifestyle!

itscarin

Seriously, I'm at my best when I eat food prepared from home.  It's hard to get up in the mornings and pack your own lunch, but you're really so much better off doing this than eating out for lunch all the time.  It's hard to turn down invitations to do lunch when everyone's going out to eat, but it's worth it.  I got down to 118 and stayed there for about 6 months before I got lazy and started eating out all the time again.  Now I've gained like 25 lbs in the past year!  :/  I'm trying to be better about eating out but it's so hard when my other-half always wants to eat out!

jojobe

(0) Hearts

They have that tongue patch that was on 20/20 or a show like that  a couple of weeks ago. You have a patch surgically stitched to your tongue so it is very painful to eat solid foods. You have to do some kind of shake thing That would be ok except you would have to watch the natural sugars in smoothies with too much fruit. THe girls lost like 20lbs and it is to jump start your weight loss. I would Never go to that extreme but i guess it is cheaper that the bypass surgury. 

punctuationgeek

I lost 25 lbs in about six months (I still have about 25-30 to go), and what helped me was juicing. Not the intense Gwyneth Paltrow juice-for-every-meal thing. I just swapped out one meal a day for a mix of apple and carrot juice. I usually have it for breakfast, though sometimes I do it for lunch as well. I also cut out starches, except for a small bowl of Corn Chex cereal as a snack. If you want to try something at home for exercise, I watch Blogilates on YouTube. It's pilates, and I find it more difficult than the workouts I've done at the gym. You rarely need any equipment for it, and if you do, it's just little weights or something. She has a beginner's workout plan on her website, which I am currently doing. I did her ab workouts a few days ago, and my stomach has been a bit sore ever since lol. Good luck!

punctuationgeek

Also, I found walking really helps. My legs have slimmed down a lot since I started walking, and I don't have nearly as much cellulite as I used to.

lovinglondon

If you don't mind sharing, how much is a lot? I lost 142lbs in my third year of university, 180lbs overall. I started seeing a dietitian and went to Curves 3 times a week and worked out every night at home.

Unfortunately I put a lot of the weight back on. The science of weight loss is simple – Burn less than you consume. Anything will work if you’re consistent, but if you’re not ready for it mentally then it will be very difficult to achieve.

itscarin

I was seeing a personal trainer at equinox for a little bit, and he had me on this low carb diet.  It drove me bananas!  Mentally, it killed me.  I could only have like 12 g of carbs per meal, which ended up being like 1/2 a peach, or 1/2 a serving of blueberries.  I did it but I was miserable!  In the long run, it was unsustainable.  I ended up reading about low-carb diets like that and you're actually supposed to cycle if you do them, but he never told me about that.  He just assumed I'd cheat on my own... wtf?!

I've had better results just eating a balanced diet and watching my calories.  It's hard to cut out the junk food but once you get used to it you won't miss it anymore.  Another thing I find is that I have to keep myself busy, otherwise I'll eat out of boredom.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 58 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • lovinglondon
    • itscarin
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • pearlgirl7