How do you feel about BT lately?

mrsbaine

How do you feel about BT lately?

I've read through the guidelines... again, before posting this to ensure that: - I'm Nice - I have Good netiquette - I'm not vague (These are the rules) I'm a little disappointed with BT right now; over the last couple of months, it feels like there have been several issues within the community; heart parties, multiple posts, people complaining about things, and (we'll just call it) member issues. I have a love/hate relationship with this community; I've learned so much and met some amazing people (shout out to SparkleKai, Vanillammm, Loretta, Killahbabe, Hackney, Lari, KB, Linda, Annec322, {I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... sorry- it's like an oscar speech}) but it just feels like some behaviors are allowed and tolerated while others aren't. As much as I said I was going to stay away because the community was becoming draining, I find myself back here wanting to help someone, or read something that will enable me. It's really confusing and awful. I'm still fairly new to BT, and hear about the "old BT" where everyone was nice to each other, and it was fun (sounds like the 60's), but when I joined, it wasn't so contentious and filled with (be nice, be nice) people who are different. I'm interested to see how others are feeling? Is there something we can do as a community to change this and make BT feel like a functional home again? I'm not looking to stir anything up; I'm genuinely asking for your candor and ideas. I'm sure the Mods and Candace would appreciate anything that helps their lives too.
love2shop42

Re: How do you feel about BT lately?

So true and so sad!:smileysad:

dianabt

Thank you all for the feedback! 

I want to add that while we do see the posts that go on (each and every one of them DO come through to us) keep in mind that sometimes? It is 10-20 posts as once! We have hundreds to view everyday and CAN miss issues that come up! We really do rely on you to report issues to us or posts that are taking a wrong turn that we may have missed, which yes, DOES happen. You are welcome to directly PM any of us for assistance and we will take care of it anonymously.

At the same time, reporting on a post because you personally do not agree with a users suggestions, ideas, thoughts or photos? Not always the best for us to help with unless it truly is something inappropriate or bordering on medical suggestions/advice that we need to leave to professionals. We do warn you when we remove posts and edit posts (PLEASE reach out to me directly if you were not told so I can help), but remember that we do have guidelines and really ask that each of you follow them for the sake of keeping the peace and keeping BT a fun, safe, welcoming and positive community.  What about those heart parties right? :smileywink: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
gogreyhound

OH! So you get to see all my Jensen Ackles pics before anyone else?? lucky you!! :smileywink:

dianabt

whatttt where are these jensen ackles pics you speak of??? LOL

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
gogreyhound

oh, I have quite the stash. Go check out Kssweetheart's heart party.. plus you will see my Daisy the greyhound! .or I can PM you a few. He is such manly perfection!! I think I posted some on some other recent heart parties...go l@@k for him, you can't miss them!! :smileywink:

gogreyhound

seriously, we appreciate the mods and your words of wisdom and encouragement!! :smileyhappy:

Zpsid91

Perks of the job!

sdbeautyjunkie1

I am new around here and to be honest I liked it better beforevthe ship jumping. I felt like the older and more experiences members kind of guided (some times not so gently) the noobs. Noobs need guidance this past week is a prime example of how a new member can come on and just go crazy and it seems like the only time the mods get involved is when someone swears (oh god not swearing) or after a problem has grown into a mess.  it was a lot more fun around here before the mass exodus. I followed but still check in here time to time. 

etscore1

[ Edited ]

Not to be "negative" but it would actually be really nice if there was any type of ignore feature on this board. Ignore a user, ignore a thread... whatever. But the answer to every negative comment is "just ignore it!" But from what I can tell, you can't actually make anything disappear, you just have to see it and pretend you don't care. 

If there was an ignore feature or a hide feature or something along those lines it would enable users to actually make things that cause negative reactions to users to actually not show up. 

I know in a perfect world nothing would bother any of us, but last time I checked the world and all the people in it were far from perfect, so rather than beat our heads against a wall trying to create a perfect utopian community then criticizing when we can't live up to those unachievable standards, actually have a function to be able to avoid what we don't want to see. And each user can choose what to see and what not to see.

Probably easier said than done, but every message board I've ever been a part of has had this feature. 

prettyinpa

Etscore, that's a great idea. There is an ignore function in the PM section where you can block a user from sending you messages, it seems realistic to expect that you could be able to block a user from your visible post feed. Sephora needs to have some of the awesome ladies on here who are in computer programming/code writing give them a hand, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help!

I have trouble downloading music to my iPod, so don't look to me for help! :smileyhappy:

chelsd

One of my favorite ways that I see forums do this is when the community can "collapse" as thread based on a percentage/number of votes from community members.  So when something is not relevant or hurtful, the community can collapse it instead of the mods.  The thread can still be opened if a community member wants to read it.  They just have to click through a link. 

beauty4ashes

Something like a 'block' list on Facebook?

Until something like that's implemented, I don't 'follow' or if I'm already 'following' I stop. Like you said, easier said than done since once it's been seen, it can't be unseen.

DarkCloud

I'm new to the community so I have no frame of reference regarding whether Beauty Talk was better in the past. Ultimately isn't the community and vibe created by the community members (ie us?)

I'd like to thank everyone who's been kind and welcoming to me and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

:smileyhappy:

hackneyfl

[ Edited ]

I have nothing valuable to say just wanted to pop over and :::chat bomb::: mrsbaine's thread!!!

Luv Ya too Lady!!!

EDIT: I am one of those 'ship-jumpers'!!!

gogreyhound

i have been giving this some thought, mrsbaine, my Algenist buddy ( and I forgive you for omitting my name ha ha!).

I have only been here since Late December. I took my time reading and scrolling around before posting. I started out slowly, then as I felt more comfortable and got a feel for the community, It took a while to understand the heart parties (which I totally "get" now) and the posting of pictures, and how to search for threads, etc.  I got a bit bolder, more comfortable and got more and more involved, and have grown to love it!

I have seen good and bad...I do think it has become a bit more serious, in some ways, since the "ship jumping". I think what kbmatthews said in her post is right on target. It has settled down, but in a good way, too. even though the majority of who left were fun good people, there was kind of an unofficial pecking order, and a bit of a pack mentality that sometimes went too far. I don't think people did it intentionally, but there was a group of close-knit people who wanted things a certain way, and when it didn't go their way any more they wanted to leave. One couldn't help but feel a bit out of the loop from the inside jokes and funny posts and things...that was their way of having fun and I can respect that... I have not mentioned this prior to this post, but I have noticed that BT has continued, and life as we know it is still going along.  Some times the posts got one-sided, or got carried away, or sometimes people with "unpopular" thoughts or opinions got picked on. 

As far as the "old" BT, i don't know if that is what people refer to, or not...I believe that there will be good and bad with anything in life, and not everything--or everyone-- is going to please us. The majority of people will abide by the rules, and very few people have truly mean intentions. I agree with redwagon44 too--we really have to ignore the bad stuff and focus on the good. If it is really bad, notify a mod. I have done it before, it is an anonymous way to give them a "heads up" that something is going on, and they can deal with it. It is frustrating when a discussion turns into an argument, or when something posted is misinterpreted (or not) and hurt or anger is the result. I still think this is not happening too much.  

Overall, I love BT--I love the people I have met here--a great group of beautiful people inside and out--funny,  caring, sharing, smart, talented, enabling, sensitive, friendly...I could go on! I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am glad we are all here...people will come and go out of our lives, and the same is true here. Hopefully those who have ill will will leave and those of us who are really interested in making BT a great community with fun and open hearts who want to welcome those who are here to make friends and share tips and tricks, and become a little part of each others' lives.

I hope I don't sound too sappy or neutral.  Trust me, somedays my filter is set to "HIGH" so I keep my big mouth shut, or I roll my eyes and KEEP SCROLLING so I don't comment on something I shouldn't'...heh heh!!

Sorry this is long...thanks for listening!

joeanne

Beautifully said. I agree with everything you wrote one thousand percent.

lucyshnoosy

Gogreyhound: I agree with what you wrote!

mrsbaine

I did forget you! Sorry! You get the backstage interview shout out! :smileywink: 

gogreyhound

i was just teasing you. Heck you should be mad because I enabled you into auto-delivery of the Algenist supersized duo! :smileyhappy:

LariTheLoud

Agreed, gogreyhound. Thank you and redwagon for your thoughtful and positive responses!

redwagon44

I love everything you wrote here. Forum communities change and morph over time, and that's not a bad thing. I like to thin, the forum is much more welcoming of new members now that it has evolved a bit. I remember my first few days on here were scatered with posts complaining about new members, making fun of questions they asked, ect. Far from welcoming, which seemed to be the goal of many older memebers who wanted their community to stay the same. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 156 replies
  • 1166 hearts
  • 51 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • quixotic