mrsbaine

How do you feel about BT lately?

I've read through the guidelines... again, before posting this to ensure that: - I'm Nice - I have Good netiquette - I'm not vague (These are the rules) I'm a little disappointed with BT right now; over the last couple of months, it feels like there have been several issues within the community; heart parties, multiple posts, people complaining about things, and (we'll just call it) member issues. I have a love/hate relationship with this community; I've learned so much and met some amazing people (shout out to SparkleKai, Vanillammm, Loretta, Killahbabe, Hackney, Lari, KB, Linda, Annec322, {I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... sorry- it's like an oscar speech}) but it just feels like some behaviors are allowed and tolerated while others aren't. As much as I said I was going to stay away because the community was becoming draining, I find myself back here wanting to help someone, or read something that will enable me. It's really confusing and awful. I'm still fairly new to BT, and hear about the "old BT" where everyone was nice to each other, and it was fun (sounds like the 60's), but when I joined, it wasn't so contentious and filled with (be nice, be nice) people who are different. I'm interested to see how others are feeling? Is there something we can do as a community to change this and make BT feel like a functional home again? I'm not looking to stir anything up; I'm genuinely asking for your candor and ideas. I'm sure the Mods and Candace would appreciate anything that helps their lives too.
gogreyhound

Re: How do you feel about BT lately?

Thank You!! :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

As a member from the good old days, the climate here has actually changed and not for the better. I agree with Mrsbaine that misbehavior by some people is tolerated while others get warnings or bannings. It's sad, because I used to be on here a lot and got a lot of enjoyment, but since the beginning of the year there has been so much drama, post locking and post deleting that it's draining and I don't have time for more tiring activities.

Perhaps the environment changed as the site became better known- more people, both good and weird/bad have found our little neighborhood.

My thoughts would be to ignore posts by people who are stirring up trouble. All their posts, not just the irritating ones. If you feed their attention getting activities, they will only persist. 

beauty4ashes

Mrsbaine asked for suggestions to help Mod's.

I don't understand the dynamics of why some members are allowed to 'roam free' while others get 'time-out's' really fast. What if more people used that 'cogwheel' thing to alert the Mod's immediately to "Report" posts/replies/comments? It couldn't be able to be misused like FB Troll's since real people/mod's read the content instead of a auto-bot type counter like FB. 

I sent in a "Report" as to why I was concerned about a person because if anyone disagreed with me how I interacted with the specific OP, the Mod's knew my intentions. It's very difficult to be Admin/Mod of a forum, not always an easy call to make. It's very difficult as a BT Member to observe the things described happening as well.

Like I said earlier, I'm new here. And, I see what we called in the true old days of internet forums & chat rooms, some people are just plain "Trolls" the ones online to just be mean, cruel, critical & yes, there are even predators among us on every social media site. 

I even saw a group of people 'stalk' one of my favorite members here only to find they hunted in packs to be critical to everything he said. I haven't seen that "pack" lately, thank goodness, maybe they're lying low or 'jumped ship?' Many 'Problem People & Troll's,' they never go away... many already have multiple identities & play the same game. It's easy to spot them. 

Anyway, despite the negative stuff I do see here...which are very obvious especially if you go back to read old posts & follow the trend of certain members still trolling around, I really appreciate all of you wonderful people on BT. 

And, I really feel that this thread that Mrsbaine brought up is a good one.

calamityjane85

*waves* hi! Still trollin.....

sparklekai

trollin.jpg

emmaclaire

Well, all of us wonderful people (thank you, by the way) here on BT are glad for new members! :smileyhappy:

mrsbaine

I agree

SydBristow

[ Edited ]

As a long-time member and a huge contributor who has helped us ALL out at one time or another :smileyhappy: your perspective is very valued!  :smileyhappy: 

I haven't been a member quite as long as prettyinpa but I have noticed the same thing.  It felt like there was a lot of issues when there were complaints about the Rouge program, then I think a few members were using humor to release some frustrations (I will never forget the day I went onto the trade thread and there were some super funny, obvious humor-oriented postings there that totally made my day!!)  The fun got moved to Off Topic and it seemed the focus was to make BT just be about makeup.  But in my humble opinion, you can't draw a crowd of informed, intelligent people on a particular topic JUST discussing that topic, there needs to be some fun too.  Despite some appeals I made to have Off Topic added back to the main feed (I believe it was members asking for it to be moved OFF the feed that got it moved in the first place), it did not seem like it would be considered.

I have been a forum founder and admin of a worldwide, 24/7 website - it's not an easy job and the admin and mods here often have their work cut out for them.  :smileyhappy:  But I agree as a member who briefly knew the BT of yesteryear and LOVED it that it is not the same.  Making the forum link (which seems as if pros are on the other side ready to answer your questions) so visible has created a large influx of newer members seeking advice, but the way the forums have been moderated I agree with some of my peers here that it seems to quite consistently condone misbehavior by newer members but be somewhat punitive towards long-time, valued contributors.  Some of the advice I see on the forums now seems more formed by opinions rather than actual experience with the products and similar products to compare and contrast, which I would put more stock in the latter if it were available.

sdbeautyjunkie1

Word

kbmatthews

I stay on BT because I want to help others and keep the BT community (well, what's left of it) thriving. With so many members jumping ship and talking on the new forum, I felt it was best to stay here. Plus, I'll be honest... I prefer the layout here. LOL.

But it's not the same as it was pre-ship jumping. It's quieted down a lot, which is good and bad. It's not as exciting and there's less to check throughout the day, but I do see many more questions being asked, since they're not hidden behind repeat posts, and way less drama. There were many strong personalities that left BT, which has shaped how BT is now. I do appreciate that the cat-pack mentality is gone, though. 

When it comes to the far past, people tend to put rose tinted glasses on and only remember the good. While I wasn't there, I'm sure there was still drama and annoying posts. 

I think the best way to make BT fun again is to actually BE involved with it and be a good example. 

lucyshnoosy

I agree with your post, Kbmatthews.

killahbabe

This was the image my mind came up with:

Cat pack.jpg

I have NO idea how I'll fit the other cats in here, but I'll try my best! 

lucyshnoosy

I love this, but I have to save my money for when the LE PuppyPack comes out!

kbmatthews

HAHAHA. This is amazing. Can I buy a 12-pack?

LariTheLoud

Killah, this is amazing. Omg. This looks exactly like my somewhat stupid black cat. Now I want to do this to see if he'll be able to figure out how to get out! (Spoiler: he won't.)

sparklekai

we'll squeeezzeee together!

love2shop42

Can you please explain how calling a group of ladies a "cat-pack" is a good example?

kbmatthews

I was referring to the mentality of there being one. For example, blaming the "cliques". If you saw my posts when there was drama, you'd see I defended many who were called cliquey when they were just trying to be helpful.

veronika23

[ Edited ]

I appreciate your opinion but I for one do not wear rose tinted glasses.  BT was a very different place.  A good one, a fun one, one I wanted to come to. Plenty of nice welcoming people with great advice that enabled you to shop with Sephora...  Now I don't want to be on BT. I really don't care all that much because I'm friends with all the people I wanna be friends with.  Guess I got lucky and joined BT when it was fun and got to meet and be friends with the so called cat pack.

kbmatthews

[ Edited ]

Everyone wears rose tinted glasses! I do, that's for sure! Heck, just yesterday I was reminiscing about an ex, and had to remind myself that there were clearly flaws in that relationship I couldn't overlook. And hey, that's okay. We're all allowed to miss the past (even BT's past). But everything evolves, and how we decide to move on is up to us.

And it's totally up to you if you don't want to be here anymore. If you're able to recreate the old feeling of BT somewhere else, then that's great. I've been on and off the other forum, and it's just not the right place for me. It also doesn't help that I can't see posts until I actually go into a subsection, so it's more work for me. I don't like work :smileytongue: haha.

Also, I never said those who left were part of the cat pack. Just that the "mentality" of there being one was gone. I'm pretty sure I've defended plenty of the old-timer's comments from being called "cliquey" when they were simply being tactfully helpful.

love2shop42

You and the other ladies pulled off a great April Fools joke. If being in a cat pack means having fun , then MEOW!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 156 replies
  • 1166 hearts
  • 51 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa
    • emmaclaire
    • quixotic