mrsbaine

How do you feel about BT lately?

I've read through the guidelines... again, before posting this to ensure that: - I'm Nice - I have Good netiquette - I'm not vague (These are the rules) I'm a little disappointed with BT right now; over the last couple of months, it feels like there have been several issues within the community; heart parties, multiple posts, people complaining about things, and (we'll just call it) member issues. I have a love/hate relationship with this community; I've learned so much and met some amazing people (shout out to SparkleKai, Vanillammm, Loretta, Killahbabe, Hackney, Lari, KB, Linda, Annec322, {I'm sure I'm forgetting someone... sorry- it's like an oscar speech}) but it just feels like some behaviors are allowed and tolerated while others aren't. As much as I said I was going to stay away because the community was becoming draining, I find myself back here wanting to help someone, or read something that will enable me. It's really confusing and awful. I'm still fairly new to BT, and hear about the "old BT" where everyone was nice to each other, and it was fun (sounds like the 60's), but when I joined, it wasn't so contentious and filled with (be nice, be nice) people who are different. I'm interested to see how others are feeling? Is there something we can do as a community to change this and make BT feel like a functional home again? I'm not looking to stir anything up; I'm genuinely asking for your candor and ideas. I'm sure the Mods and Candace would appreciate anything that helps their lives too.
nebel

Re: How do you feel about BT lately?

^What she said.  

We left because, instead of being thanked for our hard work and dedication to making the community a fun and positive place, we got labeled "Mean Girls" and when we did things like correct factually inaccurate information, which apparently is "rude" these days, or ask other members to stop with racist or sexist rhetoric, which is apparently "bullying", or asking that the same old complaints about Sephora and Rouge get placed in the appropriate forums, which was "ganging up on people for having unpopular opinions" 

There never were inside jokes-- it is amazing to me that people are still complaining about that-- there were open jokes in which anyone could participate.  Some people chose to do so, and others just got jealous from their self-imposed sidelines.

Those of us who have left have, frankly, been much happier without all of this.  To those of you who are new to BT and weren't around before the Exodus, it is a shame, because it really used to be a wonderful place.

sparklekai

i think the "inside joke" thoughts started around the time of the llama and paula deen parade.  inside joke?  yes. it was inside...inside bt for all to post.  some people "didn't get it"...there was nothing to get!  someone wanted to have fun, the rest of us joined in.  no one was stopped from joining in.  it really was a the more the merrier kinda thing!

emmaclaire

I can personally attest to this being true.  I joined in on a thread because I saw a picture of Paula Deen and commented that I had no idea what was going on but I loved it.  I found out that nothing was "going on" it was just a fun thread designed to make people chuckle at silly pictures!  And you, killahbabe, and spoiledbrat immediately included me in the fun (as with anyone else who joined the thread) and made me feel like a pal.

AND NOW WE ARE PALS!!!! yayyyy

killahbabe

Emma has her own bedazzled chair at my table :smileyvery-happy:

Teresaanne92

Emma you can totally sit with us! :smileywink:

sparklekai

*saves seat for emmaclaire*  love ya girl!

emmaclaire

Love you, pretty lady!!

chelssss

I am still fairly new to BT, but was lucky enough to go to the "other forum". I will say all the "ship-jumpers" have never started "drama" over there. It is very civil and I know for a fact I check *too many* times to see new posts, especially on lovely Hackney's thread. It is still becoming established, but I check there WAY more. I am one of those neutral people and just scroll on down past the recent "yay, nay" posts,etc., but it can get quite annoying and I find myself exiting instead on continually "just scrolling". I never knew this "old forum", but I will say there is more drama here than any other forum I go to. 

I do agree with the wishy-washy too. I was COMPLETELY turned off when I reported someone and was told they didn't break rules (seeking free products and posting medical issues many should not know about, posting excessively, etc.), but I typed one "rude"(it totally wasn't) response to her, and I got a warning. That is about the only real issue I personally have with BT.

love2shop42

[ Edited ]

A big hug for Mrsbaine! I went with the others and on that site we all get along! In fact, it is a refreshing change to the posts about pistol whipping and begging for someone to buy them makeup and/or drugs. And guess what? No arguments about discriminatory lippy names.  The women on the other site are strong, opinionated, supportive and in no way or fashion have a cat pack mentality -we all call it as we see it as individuals.I miss the funny Paula Deen memes and the heart parties, but most of all I miss seeing the cool eye contests hosted by Plantgarden.

sparklekai

shout outs right back at ya mrsb!  i come back to bt once in a while...but rarely.  the reality is i am thankful to bt for being able to build some amazing real life relationships with some AMAZING ladies!  some of these ladies i can no longer imagine my life without!  bt isn't the same.  some may be happy with that, others like myself are clearly not.  my biggest issue is the inconsistency.  why is it ok for some users but not for others?  certain people post some straight up crazy, insulting and/or judgmental things, but these are allowed to pass.  However, you throw up an upside down chicken, a llama, some paula deen, well the poo poo is gonna hit the fan!!

mrsbaine

Agreed. And btw... I feel like I want butter.... Odd... Maybe the llama pic? :smileywink: 

sparklekai

butter! mmmmm.... tasty and the primer of champions!

killahbabe

unillama copy2.jpg

*Puts goggles on. Looks at fan*

sparklekai

love the throwback killah!!!! 

and addition to my earlier post...bt used to be the place ♬ where everybody knew my name and they were always glad i came♬

killahbabe

I got that one too! :smileyvery-happy:

Cheers copy7.jpg

sparklekai

our first season!!!  first of many more ladies!!  

kenny

I've had an account here since the beginning, although I didn't regularly participate for a year or two? (time goes by so quickly, I can't remember!)

I agree the "old days" were very civil, in part to be a much smaller community. Now that BT has become more well known it has attracted all sorts or personalities (for the better and worse), and I agree that the rules can feel so wishy-washy about what is allowed and what is not. Posts that are nonsensical or give BAD advice are left up for long periods, and established members (that have contributed far more) are banned for only one or two indiscretions. I find myself checking in much less often than I used to.  It's kind of sad seeing it deteriorate like this, combined with my dissatisfaction with Sephora in general (I haven't even re qualified for VIB yet).

To be honest though, the "old days" will not likely come back. It was just a much smaller community and people seemed to take more time to "figure out" the community before posting, and everyone acted very mature. And this is hard to attain with so many more people and people who are more immature (not meaning I'm against young people, I'm not that old either, lol) It's not necessarily a bad thing, just a sort of the end of an era, so to speak.

I would like to see the guidelines to be much less wishy-washy, and not allowing one member to toe the line, or break any rules  and another being allowed to simply because of their age or mental state. I would also love to see  a change, so when people join BT, there is more of an intro or such, so newbies can get the feel of BT before they start posting (the umpteenth thread about "what Naked palette should I get?", or other such repeat). 

But again to be frank, we have had these discussions several times before, but nothing ever really changes.

Sorry to be  downer  :smileysad: I would love to see a positive change though, because I really did love BT and met some truly amazing and inspiring people here.

killahbabe

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the shout-out, MrsBaine! :smileyvery-happy:

I pop in from time to time but it's just truly not the same. I miss all the fun posts that made BT quirky and different. I know some people didn't care for it, but the majority loved the heart parties and the wacky threads mixed in with beauty questions, hauls, and TSBs. I've never followed the rules by the letter and probably never will. This could mean one day I'm banned. But I'm okay with that. Don't take that as me being an a-hole about BT. I used to love BT and deep-down still do. I'm grateful to BT because I've formed some incredible friendships and have spent hours laughing like an idiot about some priceless moments on this forum. I'd like it to go back to something like that, but I know it probably never will. I can get some fun gals to revisit BT when I'm on, but it'll never be like it was. We still had drama on here back then and I wont pretend it was perfect, but BT definitely felt more like home to me (and a lot of other members). I find BT to be a bit too quiet and stale for my tastes nowadays, but sometimes I'll find a gem of hilarity mixed in with the mediocrity. And on those days, I'm so happy to be a member! :smileyvery-happy:

they reward.jpg

^For the good, old days!

gogreyhound

There are still heart parties, TSBs, Hauls, silly off-topic posts, and all that stuff. I still don't understand what all the fuss was about. 

I thought the Llamas, Paula deens, and all that were funny too! 

::sniff sniff:: why can't we all just get along?!  :smileywink:

killahbabe

Everything is few and far between. I know most TSBs have been moved off-site. I still see the monthly haul posts going strong (which is good), but that's about it. No Paula. No llama. No fun. 

love2shop42

So true and so sad!:smileysad:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 155 replies
  • 1161 hearts
  • 51 in conversation
    • kenny
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe