aggiegirl2012

How did you meet your partner/SO

In light of Valentine's Day, I thought it would be fun (and amusing) to know how everyone met their significant other.

I met my husband while out dancing. I had ended an engagement a couple of months prior and had found myself with a new group of friends. He was a friend of theirs who barely came out.

When they saw him at the dancehall it sounded like what I imagine a unicorn sighting would sound like (apparently he was kind of a big deal). We talked, flirted, and didn't exchange numbers.

Two weeks later, he showed up again. He asked me to dinner, I played a little too coy, and ended up facebook messaging him to give him my number and say yes, dinner would be great.

By the end of our first date- dinner and more dancing- I knew he was the one. He knew by the end of dinner.

It's pretty funny considering my rationale for going out with him was I knew my friends would be jealous (yes, petty and shallow) since I would be moving in a week. His rationale was, "she's probably crazy but she's moving in a week so I won't have to see her." Seemed to backfire on both of us :]

What's your story?

IllegallyBlonde

Re: How did you meet your partner/SO

We tell the story differently... According to me, we met through friends (my friend was dating his friend at the time.) according to him, though, we met at a bar. I like my version better lol

waterbaby1981

My husband and I KNEW of each other before we actually met (I was a varsity cheerleader, he was cross country and soccer).  My senior year Homecoming Dance, I went with a friend to the dance and one of my fellow cheerleaders had Dan as a date.  For reasons still unknown, I asked Jamie to switch dates with me  for a dance or two.  My reasoning was at the time was that he was hot. 

I actually started to date Dan after he came back from basic training in 2002 and got engaged in 2004 when I started grad school.  We got married in 2006.  After we got married, I found out that Jamie had married MY date from Homecoming a year or so prior!  We married each other's dates.  So now it's been nearly eight years married and 12 together.

irenet

My guy and I had been friends through middle and high school but I never liked him that way. Even the first time we met I slammed the door in his face. In our 20s, we were both in relationships that weren't the best and we broke up with our significant others around the same time. He started hanging out at my house and my little sister decided to play match making. She was constantly in my ear about how great he was but we never had the chance to be a lone together until one winter night. He was over my house and there was a snow storm, our other friends canceled because they couldn't make it in, only he was there. We hung out alone and talked all night. Soon the sun came up and when he left I knew I wanted to be with him. We've been together for 12 years now, living together for 5. We don't have any kids but plan on getting married eventually. Love is great.

StyleLynn

5 years ago this spring on POF :smileyhappy:

MGJM

I had been in a really bad relationship for 2 1/2 years, in which I dealt with way too much BS, but it was the typical, "I'm so sorry", "it'll never happen again", "we can work this out".  Well we didn't, and I gave into that crap for way too long.  So when I finally broke it off for good and I was actually excited about being single again, my best friend and I went out to celebrate the next night.  I spotted a really cute guy at the bar and I just wanted to flirt and have fun that night so I bought him a beer.  We talked and hung out for a couple hours and he asked for my number.  I gave it to him, thinking that he was never going to call.  I got a text from him the next day.  That was over 4 years ago.  We are now engaged :smileyhappy:

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

Congrats!

jaimelove

i had a harry potter party. my friend brought him as her date. she dumped him a week later.

/accio boyfriend. hpcat.jpg

jrperk

My hubby and I had mutual friends in high school, but never really knew each other. His older brother was the cool guy that everyone thought was hot (he was), and we all used to hang out and party, which was how I started hanging out with my hubby. Soon, I was hanging out with him on my own (as opposed to a party situation) and we were super close friends. Fast forward a few months and I suddenly look at him and think "omg, I think I'm getting attracted to him!" the more time we spent together the more attracted we got to each other. After a discussion about whether or not we wanted to risk our friendship on a romance (romantic, I know) we jumped in with both feet. We have now been together for 19 years, married for 14, and have a wonderful 10 yr old son. I really did marry my best friend, and that fact has gotten us through some pretty tough times.

bambina2011

I met my husband in the chatting board called "Icq" 12 years ago! Who remembers "Icq"?

jaimelove

OMG icq! 

i still say "uh oh" in that notification tone and no one knows what i'm doing haha. 

kalex

Aww.  I'm feeling all mushy after reading all of these.  I hope my husband's ready to snuggle.

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

Beware of wife. She wants cuddles.

jojobe

I drugged him and then drug him to the JOP and now I keep him chained up in my closet...

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

I keep mine drugged. He never wonders why there's always brownies....

BeautyJunkie325

I've got some zip ties you can use too.

sparklekai

(0) Hearts

if he happens to start to wiggle loose..i have extra rope

kalex

Junior year of high school I saw him from across the gym during P.E. and thought "I need to know him".  I started pointing him out to my friends in the hallway or commons room whenever I'd see him and finally found someone who knew him.  I wrote him a note and asked her to give it to him.  

We married 3 months after we graduated.  :smileyhappy:

earpoker

I met my husband on a message board for a band we both liked:-). 

jojobe

What is with all of the security breech questions???

stephyd216

I sat next to my now husband in Jr. High School Band. We both played the saxophone, and I was 13 years old. We practiced in the auditorium, and it as always freezing- and like a gentleman he always offered me his sweatshirt. I think I had about 5 of his hoodies in my locker!

By 10th grade we were best friends, by the time I graduated we had been in a relationship for a year. We've been married for almost 2 years now, and have been together for 10. <3

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 91 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • malday
    • waterbaby1981
    • jojobe
    • stephyd216