aggiegirl2012

How did you meet your partner/SO

In light of Valentine's Day, I thought it would be fun (and amusing) to know how everyone met their significant other.

I met my husband while out dancing. I had ended an engagement a couple of months prior and had found myself with a new group of friends. He was a friend of theirs who barely came out.

When they saw him at the dancehall it sounded like what I imagine a unicorn sighting would sound like (apparently he was kind of a big deal). We talked, flirted, and didn't exchange numbers.

Two weeks later, he showed up again. He asked me to dinner, I played a little too coy, and ended up facebook messaging him to give him my number and say yes, dinner would be great.

By the end of our first date- dinner and more dancing- I knew he was the one. He knew by the end of dinner.

It's pretty funny considering my rationale for going out with him was I knew my friends would be jealous (yes, petty and shallow) since I would be moving in a week. His rationale was, "she's probably crazy but she's moving in a week so I won't have to see her." Seemed to backfire on both of us :]

What's your story?

aggiegirl2012

Re: How did you meet your partner/SO

(0) Hearts

Wow! That's so sweet, congrats!

kellsmuneoka

[ Edited ]

My Mom was wondering why I was tearing up and this gif pretty much sums up how I feel.giphy.gif

All these stories are so cute so I'm happy screaming (if that makes sense). I'm so happy for all of you ladies <3

IttyxBittyxMe

(0) Hearts

Sam and Dean are never fine. ;_;

ljp93

Wow I love reading all of these stories! How fun! :smileyhappy:

My boyfriend and I used to play soccer on the same team when I was 10 and he was 9. That was 10 years ago! Right after the soccer season he moved to a town about two hours away and I never heard anything about him (I basically forgot his existence) until one year ago. He moved back to town to fight fire and we randomly ran into each other at the grocery store. We instantly recognized each other and we've been together ever since! :smileyhappy:

NotCrocker

My story is a little long!

It was the middle of July and I had to take transit down from one end of the city to the other to go to my friend's bachelorette. It was scorching hot out, I was on my period, and there was a break in the line that caused a 45min trip to stretch to 2 hours. You can imagine that I was hot, grumpy, and super uncomfortable. I had a nice time at the pre-party for my friend but was a sweaty, pms-y mess and decided to not head to the bar with them. So after hugs and love, I hopped back on the train to go north home. At the break in the line we had to get off and take a bus to the next train station. The bus was PACKED with people but I got a seat facing a cute guy. He smiled at me and I smiled back. When we got to the train station I got on the sweltering train and sat down. There were a ton of seats but the cute guy insisted on sitting next to me. Now, in other circumstances I would've been flattered, but like I said, I was hot, sweaty, pmsing and just felt disgusting. I had no interest in talking to anyone, I just wanted to get home. He kept trying to make eye contact with me, and I kept ignoring him, obviously turning up my music, and staring out the window (at nothing... we were underground for a lot of it). Anyway, he got off at the stop before me. And as I was walking home from the train I cooled down, felt a little less pms-ragey and felt really bummed that I hadn't talked to this super cute dude.

So, I don't know if you've ever heard of Craigslist Missed Connections, it is a section where you can mention meeting someone in passing, cry about losing a girl's number, and hoping the universe will steer that person to your little post. I had never posted anything to Craigslist before, but I did like to read the Missed Connections from time to time to see if I recognized anyone (never). Anyway, I casually made a post that essentially said, "To the guy on the train who was being friendly, and to who I was totally rude. Sorry, I am a lot nicer on cooler days, in less terrible circumstances." I gave a mild description of myself (what I was wearing) and the guy (what he was wearing) and left it at that, not expecting anything from it.

The next day I got three emails, one from a guy who sent a picture and looked nothing like the guy. Another from a bot who said he liked my pictures (I didn't post any), and a third saying just, "I am the man from the train." I looked up the name from the email and BAM it was him! It was crazy!

Anyway, we met two days later for ice cream and that was almost 5 years ago. Got married in 2012. He said he just knew I was going to post about him. He also liked reading Missed Connections, checked that night and replied to me, totally confident that it was about him!

annypoo

(0) Hearts

SO CUTEEE

LolaVal

(0) Hearts

What a wonderful story!  Fate!!!

AlwaysGlamorous

I love your story!! That's so amazing!

ljp93

I LOVE this! So crazy how the universe works :smileyhappy:

aggiegirl2012

That's amazing! I used to love to read missed connections, I'm glad he found it

Urbie

My fiance was doing his phd while I was an undergrad, and we met through mutual friends, but didn't really talk much.   A couple of months later, we started chatting online while we were both home with the flu, and we basically have been talking to each other all day, every day for 5 and a half years!

MsStacey1990

The very first time i met my babe was outside a store called brookeshire brothers! my mom introduced us to eachother cause she knew him. I was 16 he was 15 :smileyhappy: we have been together 6 years! we have a lil girl shes 5 :smileyvery-happy: I love my hubby so much :smileyvery-happy: . i could go on about him all day everyday :smileyhappy: . but ill stop here LOL.

green71191

i met mine...well he was my neighbor. I one day noticed him and became really attracted to him...But i was too shy...

my dad can be too friendly and talk for hours and he became friends with this guy. I would always ask my dad to hook us up. My dad said he couldnt...he never told me why but of course i knew that my dad as a dad was thinking "how am i going to push my daughter on this guy so he can 'sleep'  with her...haha

Fast forward a few months..it was my niece's bday party and I had a little too much to driink and my older niece and a friend were going to sleep over so when we got home i was a little drunk and saw that there was light on in his house...so i kinda told the girls "here go give him my number" and ripped a piece of my pay stub hahaa and wrote my number. We waited all night and nothing...finally the morning comes and still waiting. We were in my room which is right next to his house and with the window open we begin talking about him...he denies he heard us..who knows? And within minutes he texts me...and we began dating immediately. Itll be 2 years of official dating in May :smileyhappy:

Turns out his Mom and my dad are from the same town in Mexico. I never got to meet his parents though. :smileysad: They didnt like to live here in the US so they would only visit. I was supposed to meet them Nov 30th 2012 and they passed in a really bad accident on Nov 24th. 

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

I'm really sorry to hear about his parents. That is a really funny story about how you guys got together :smileyhappy:

mityren

I met him at a party when I was probably 15. He was 21. I was a wild child and partying hard. He held my hair when I got sick and he's been in my life ever since!

malday

[ Edited ]

I met him (Chris) at a Halloween party through a mutual friend that neither of us are friends with anymore (let's call her T). We didn't talk at all; it was just a quick "Oh this is so-and-so" introduction. I saw him again at another event when T invited him to a club that a large group of us were going to (Das Bunker lol). I recognized him from the party and said something along the lines of "Oh hey I remember you, how are you?" and got a really rude look and shrug back hahaha. So I just got it in my head this this guy was a jerk. (I later found out it was because T told him I was there with some other guy and so he didn't want to talk to me). I saw him again at my friend Jackie's bday party, since I got there a little late I sat at the end of our table, next to him. At that point since I thought he was a jerk I didn't want to sit next to him and moved seats. He ended up leaving the party because of that. Then I saw him YET AGAIN on NYE. Me and T were at a HS friend's party and when she found out that he was at a Downtown loft party, she wanted to go to that, so me and another friend went along with her (at this point I'm thinking T kind of likes this guy or something, but she denies it). He managed to say a few words to me that night but I still wasn't having it.

Fast forward a bit, this guy keeps asking me out to little things, his friend's karaoke bday thing, a fancy bar with a tasteful burlesque show. I keep saying no because I was chasing someone else and Chris hadn't really redeemed himself from the perceived jerkiness. We talked sometimes on FB and stuff but never much. After about a year and a half of asking me out I finally say yes. He invited me to a Death From Above 1979 show, and since I had been a huge fan in HS and they hadn't performed in a while I said sure. The date was SO AWKWARD. He didn't talk to me the entire night, and was visibly upset by his friend's annoying gf (it was a double date) so that made it worse. I didn't plan on going out with him again at all but he invited me to Indian food, which I love, so I said yes again. Still an awkward date. He talks this time but you know how it is when your conversation is more polite than anything, I couldn't get into the whole date. But he picked me some flowers after and in the end it wasn't too bad, just ehh.

Fast forward almost another year. We never made plans to go out again, the first two dates were just too underwhelming. But then in a last-ditch effort, he asked me out again, this time to Six Flags. For some reason still unknown to me, I switched around my work schedule just to go with him! Anyway, he picked me up early in the morning, we had breakfast, then went to Six Flags, and then had an early dinner/late lunch at a sushi place followed by dessert/drinks at a cafe. It was like 4 dates in one but honestly it was perfect. I think the sheer amount of time we spent together really helped us warm up and actually TALK.

Tl;dr we met, I thought he was a jerk, he asked me out for almost 3 years, we had two bad dates, then one awesome one and here we are now.

ladymeag

My first real date with my spouse was that kind of 4-dates-in-one date. We went for a day at a beach park and dinner and a movie and coffee - it was a 12 hour first date! You know it's going well when you don't want to go home. (We're married - seven years and counting. :smileyhappy: )

aggiegirl2012

We had a mutual friend/acquaintance who stopped talking to both of us once we realized that we wanted to keep dating. 

Funny how things work out like they're supposed to :smileyhappy:

Missie772

I met my husband at work! :smileyhappy: Boring story...

aggiegirl2012

(0) Hearts

Well I like it :smileyhappy:

knadala

At a house poker game; I was 17 and he was 20. We played poker at that house 4 more times before we said a word to each other. Now it's almost 10 years later and we are engaged and planning a wedding :smileyhappy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 91 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • malday
    • waterbaby1981
    • jojobe
    • stephyd216