nebel

How Early is Too Early for the Holidays?

I just got an e-mail from Nieman Marcus entitled "The Holiday Shop" featuring Christmas Tree ornaments.   Now, I know we're all excited for holiday makeup collections, but this, to me, is just too much.  It is September freaking thirteenth! 

I know, I know, I shouldn't be surprised given that everything comes out earlier and earlier each year, but to me, part of the fun of the holiday season is the anticipation.  It seems like with stuff coming out so early, that anticipation is gone.  Even last year, I think I knew everything I wanted from the winter Sephora lineup by October, and then I was kind of bored waiting for spring makeup to come out. 

How do you guys feel?  Do you like it when holiday stuff shows up in September, or is it too soon?  When would you like to see collections or decorations break out?

LadyInWhite

Re: How Early is Too Early for the Holidays?

[ Edited ]

I just got back from the local Hallmark store ~ the ornament collections I get every year are already sold out.  The shop will order them for me, but I can't believe how empty the shelves were already. 

ry22

I like it, but I think its a pain when stuff you are waiting to buy for the holidays comes out in September and goes out of stock in October. Other than that, I love that the winter collections are out longer because I think they are often the best collections of the year :smileyhappy:

CzaCee

I think early Holiday Sets are great as well. Just so I can plan my finances until the actual Holidays. and those sets make a perfect present too.

syritt

I think early sets are great. I think I'd rather have them advertised early and not come out as early though. That way there is more anticipation and I can decide which sets to buy for who. Really though, I'm happy as long as the holiday music doesn't start up until after Thanksgiving. There's just something about hearing holiday music in stores in September that makes me lose the whole spirit of things.

midnightangel

Personally I'd rather not see holiday stuff until after Thanksgiving, but I also realize that's not practical in a consumerist society.

gongju87

It's never too early for me! When I see decoration and holidy stuff it just makes me smile!

janinebt

July. I use to work for a major department store...and July was usually when they got their holiday stock o.O.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
DoctorsMrs

The biggest problem for me is that with things like this, it's like we're always looking forward to the future. It takes away from enjoying NOW. We're never really fully appreciating what's right in front of us. It's always about what's next.

pastelflower

This has happened for years and I think it's so sad! Holiday decorations usually go on clearance before we've even had the holiday. The Christmas tree skirt I wanted last year was removed from Macy's website in November. The ridiculous thing is, it's already back on their website in the holiday collection! It's only September!

Missie772

It is way too early! BUT- the earlier the holiday collections comes out, the earlier we know whether or not we will spend the money on it. If not, that leaves "more money" for the other collections!

As long as they don't start playing Christmas music this early, I am a happy camper. I hate it when they start playing it before Thanksgiving. I want to eat my turkey and mash potatoes and pumpkin pie without xmas music okay? I may be a grinch when it comes to xmas music...

nebel

lol, and I HATE HATE HATE mall christmas music.  Seriously.  Give me Benjamin Britten's Ceremony of Carols any day.  But I CANNOT TAKE pop generic christmas crud.

BlushHoarder

(0) Hearts

July. ridiculous.

dannyc

Nordstrom always puts a sign out that they won't start the Holiday stuff until after Halloween. & No Christmas music or decorations until after Thanksgiving. 

I like to celebrate one holiday at a time, fall is beautiful let's enjoy the foliage before we go straight into reds & greens. 

When I was younger I worked retail & we never had Thanksgiving it was Halloween then Christmas... It's so hard for me to get in the holiday spirt every December now because it just lasts for too long. And my family is old-school, we celebrate Christmas by the old calendar which is January 7th. Our tree doesn't go up until late December, and we can't take it down until late January. 

melde

Nothing is fun year round! I don't like celebrating Christmas until December. :/

nebel

[ Edited ]

Me either!  My husband and I get so busy during the holiday season with music gigs (He's a choral conductor and I sing) that we barely have time to decorate, and we're lucky if we get our tree UP by Christmas eve! I'm not even in the right mindset until Thanksgiving, and even then, I get  tired just thinking about it.

I have a friend who is raising his kids in both Jewish and Christian traditions so they celebrate EVERYTHING. I have no idea how they don't just drop from exhaustion!

kenny

I agree, I hate that so many companies push the winter holidays so early. It gets me excited for something that is over 3 months away! I mean it's barely even gotten into fall (30 Celsius in Canada). I also agree with Candy357 that it tends to overshadow other holidays between now and then. I do like them to come out in October, when the weather actually starts to turn.

Candy357

I can't stand how xmas over shadows Halloween and Thanksgiving! Ugh just makes me mad.

I love Halloween so much and well Thanksgiving is **bleep** delicious LOL

So I really don't like it when it happens, all the time.

nebel

mmmmmmmm stuffing and candied yams and baked potatoes and pie and.... YUM!!!  I agree, let's not overshadow two of the most delicious times of year!

tashalicious

i understand what you mean, i think september is too early , i think the end of October is the best time to launch Holiday stuff.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 19 replies
  • 42 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • kenny
    • dannyc
    • ry22
    • janinebt
    • syritt
    • Missie772