kd006

Horrible Experience

[ Edited ]

So I recently got back from vacation in NYC.

I went to one of the times square locations. The one on 47th and 5th? I believe. And my service was beyond terrible. I can't even.

First, no one greets you at the door, but they are standing there staring at you like "what are you doing here? are you shop lifting?" and they stare you down, which I don't appreciate. But I understand that they need to have security at the exits, just don't be so disrespectful about it and not even say hello to your customers and ask if they can help you find anything.

Second, I asked a customer service person for help with a foundation. I wanted a sample and they said okay and walked away, I waited there for ten minutes, they never came back. I then found them in the store 2 minutes later being friendly to another customer that was clearly a friend of theirs. This is absolutely unacceptable to me. I work in retail and that would not fly at my work. I would get fired for something like that. Clearly disregarding the needs of the customer for your own benefit.

Next, I went to the skincare section and a worker bumped into my shoulder hard enough for me to drop my bag because I didn't expect it and they just kept walking. I don't think this is specifically something Sephora workers do, It's just a New York thing. No one cares if they bump into you, but when you are working, you should be more courteous and apologize.

Then, I went back to the NARS section and I was swatching a few blushes, picking out my favorite colors of blush. This is right next to the stand where they put makeup on customers and someone was doing someones makeup and the worker said "Would you move?" in a really snotty tone.

Then, the top of the cake, I went to the checkout, and the guy in the front was checking people out, but there were many registers opened, he asked me how I was paying and I said cash and he said "okay, move aside, NEXT!" I was like.. what?! Then I go to the end where another girl actually WILL help me and she didn't talk to me the whole time.. didn't even tell me my total. She was talking to another employee the whole time giggling. And then once my transaction was over, she put my stuff in the bag, and walked away. Didn't hand it to me, didn't say thank you. And i'm like... what the heck?! I am a VIB, I shop at Sephora often, I was nothing but friendly and I'm getting THIS experience?! I just couldn't even believe it.

I know this is all very negative, but usually i DO love sephora, but I was just not pleased with my experience in times square. And it was just the fact that it was every employee that I came in contact with was so disrespectful to me. I have never had an experience like this before at a sephora and I'm just so disappointed.
Anyways, I just wanted to share that. But, it was nice that sephora was 2 blocks away from my hotel!!! I didn't buy much, but I definitely made mental notes of everything I wanted! I actually prefer to buy online so I can return things I don't like easily. So I will have a big order in a few weeks here.

Sorry for the rant everyone! Hope you are all doing well!

nebel

Re: Horrible Experience

Please don't judge NYC by Times Square! The stores are ALL dirty and overcrowded because it is the only place most tourists go.  For good shopping experiences (of ANY type, not just sephora) you need to get to other neighborhoods.  I avoid it like the plague! I hope you had fun in NY though and did get to see some of the other places!

kd006

Oh no absolutely, everything in NYC times squares smells like urine and is absolutely disgusting. But it's also a fun environment too. But, I did go to the sephora over by the world trade center and that was much more quiet and a very nice sephora. I can see why if you live in NY you wouldn't want to go to times square! Everyone just tries to hand you a pamphlet and no one walks when they should! Lol. But it's funny how much the city changes within just a few blocks. I mean if you take a few steps out of times square, you are on 5th ave where it is quieter and there are more high end stores. Then you go down to central park and in some places it's busy and some it's dead. But, then you go to the world trade center, and it's like a normal neighborhood. But i did love my time in NYC and would definitely go back (just not to the empire state bldg or times square probably).

onomotopoeia9

Good point - There are several other great sephoras within 15 minutes walking distance from there.

gymjenn

As a former retail manager and avid shopper, Thank You for writing this review! I Love Sephora! But customer service is so important to me!

I'd much rather shop online and guess at my purchases and return than deal with "sales" people that think they are better than everyone else. 

I am very luck to have a store here in Lancaster, PA that has mostly fantastic staff... but I have been to a handful of other stores that make me want to never shop In Store again!

kd006

(0) Hearts

Thanks for your reply! I agree with you, as I work in retail as well. I find that the online customer service is amazing, and I have only had a problem once with the customer service, and they quickly fixed the issue for me. I have nothing but good things to say about sephora online shopping.

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

I'm in the city a lot and I've learned to avoid that specific sephora. I've given it a few chances, but they pretty much proved themselves negative to me...oh well. Thanks for sharing -- glad to knopw its not only me!

kd006

(0) Hearts

Thanks for sharing your opinion as well, I can tell there were better sephoras within walking distance from that one, so I won't go back there on my next trip back to NYC. I go back in about a month for work and I will have another few extra days to spend in manhattan, but will choose a different sephora destination.

beautylovingirl

Sorry you had a bad experience but hope the rest of your vacation was fun!:smileyhappy:

kd006

It was!

We only had 3 full days there of just touristy things, and this was my first time there, and I loved it. There was a lot to see and little time to do it.

If you ever make it there, make sure you go to Top of the Rock, because that was my favorite! Way better than Empire State Building, but both were amazing.

starletta8

Sorry you had a bad experience there!

From when i lived in the area, I avoided the Times Square store because it was always packed wall to wall with tourists (sorry!).  Due to the foot traffic, I'm sure that shoplifting is a huge problem. I'm not defending them, but it's likely you'll have a similar experience at many of the other retailers in that area.

Regarding the person asking you to step aside- that cast member probably had an iphone in tow.  They can only process credit/debit.  It could've been handled better, but I'm betting it was pretty chaotic and loud.

Sorry you had such a bad experience- try some of the less crazy locations outside of Times Square.  That area is the least-friendly part of NYC.

kd006

(0) Hearts

Oh no I absolutely get it! I know you're right, and if I lived in NYC I would stay away from times square as much as possible because it is so crowded and loud, and stinky! :smileytongue:

But, I had a lovely trip regardless.

I did go into a few sephora locations in the NYC area. Manhattan is obviously crazy and I saw a few sephoras, and went into 2, and then I went into the sephora by the world trade center, and that one was lovely. (my favorite by far- even compared to the one closest to my location at home)

But, no matter what, I love NYC and would definitely go back to the big apple again.

dianabt

Hi kd006,

I'm really sorry to hear this. :smileysad: I've been to a few NYC locations and while they were great shops, I had a few bad apples in my path a few times (and I'm an employee!) I will absolutely forward your feedback just so they are conscious of and more aware of how they treat each of our clients.  I'm sad that you went on a nice trip and weren't given the best service! Let me know if you would like to be contacted back in regards to this and I can include an email or phone number with the feedback to the store management.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
kd006

Hi diana,

Thank you for your response. It won't be necessary for a response. I know it's literally impossible to please everyone. Everyday you are going to get a guest who isn't happy with their experience even if you are the friendliest person. I've had complaints sometimes about myself sometimes too even when I don't mean to be rude, because everyone can view a situation differently. Thank you for sending along my message though!

kd006

dianabt

(0) Hearts

Thanks kd006! :smileyhappy:  I'm happy to do so- Please know that we're here to help if you have any other questions or need any assistacen and you're always welcome to send me or any of the other mods a private message. 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • gymjenn
    • dianabt
    • beautylovingirl
    • onomotopoeia9
    • starletta8