Meg82

Healthy Choices this Summer

Hey BTers

I hope this is an okay post to make.  I know in the random question threads a couple of people have talked about the kinds of things they do to be healthy with what they eat and their lifestyles etc and I thought it might be nice to have a thread about what we do to keep ourselves healthy and beautiful.

So, in this thread celebrate your healthy choices!

I have two I want to celebrate 1) I've started to eat a really high protein diet that my Dr. has been bugging me about for years and 2) I am quitting smoking.  I'm doing a long slow taper (cold turkey and I are not friends) so it will take some time, but I know I can do it.

What are you doing to be healthy?

tashalicious

Re: Healthy Choices this Summer

(0) Hearts

watching my calorie intake,  exercising, and keeping my energy positive.

missjr

I mentioned in a previous thread that my husband and I have done a couple of fasts for spiritual reasons.  We limited ourselves to whole grains, fruits, and vegetables and natural juices and water.  During our fast, we eliminated meats, fish, processed foods, sugars, artificial sweeteners, breads, dairy, white flour, desserts, and other treats.  It's extremely difficult going back to the way I used to eat, which is a good thing.  

I love organic foods, including fruits and vegetables.  Breakfast typically consists of steel-cut oatmeal with raisins and/or granola.  Lunch might consist of salads, and vegetarian based meals.  Snacks might be fruit, organic popcorn or yogurt.  We have fish twice a week (or try to) with no more than 3 oz. of chicken.  Lots of water and organic fruit juices are also a part of my diet.  If I happen to have dessert, it's usually fruit or some kind of fruit-based tart.  It's been easy to do because there are two organic restaurants within walking distance of my job, and there is an organic grocery store in my neighborhood.  Admittedly, we've had a couple of cheat days so that we don't feel too deprived.

I still exercise at least 3 to 5 days a week, including aerobics, running, and weight training.  I switch it up so that I don't get bored.

janinebt

I feel so much better when I eat high quality food and keep my body in tip top shape. I'm a vegetarian so I tend to eat mostly fruits, veggies, and yummy vegetarian snacks (like buffalo wings and sausages).

Kale has been my recent addiction. It's so much better for you than lettuce and I find that it's way more filling.

Beverage wise, I've been reaching for lemon water and coconut water. I often have a problem in not staying hydrating so in an effort to drink quench my thirst I've been reaching for these two. If I'm really in the mood to jazz up my water I'll add mint leaves, strawberries, lime, and lemons to my water. Chill that over night for a refreshing morning beverage SO delicious.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
rikkie

I am not usually a big fan of cucumber, but some water with cucumber slices is SO refreshing! I think I will have to try your mint/strawberry/citrus infused water, it sounds so good!

DesertRose0706

In the last 3 months i have been really diligent in going to the gym 3 times a week and really pushing myself during the workouts.I found a great workout class that i love which has been the main reason i;ve been able to stick to my imoroved workout schedule.

In the last month i have changed my eating habits for the better and have been cooking vegetables, rice and tofu and sticking to fruit when im craving a sweets (chocolate is my weakness lol).  This has really helped me to lose soem weight i've been wanting to lose for 3 years now, and I have almost reached my weight goal!  Its so exciting and rewarding to see hard work finally payoff!  and its so worth it!

starletta8

Congrats on the quitting smoking!

After getting chewed out simultaneously by my dentist and the woman giving me a mini facial, I cut my caffeine intake by half and switched to sparkling water instead.

I've been drinking 1-2L of sparkling water a day since then, for health reasons.  I've noticed my skin has been much better, but have been somewhat discouraged ("I cut out that many calories every day and haven't seen anything, blah, blah blah").

Well, today I bought a skirt one size down. So excited!

HMNewbie

Awesome post, Meg82!  My doctor told me quite simply:  you won't change until you decide to.  So, I decided.  The key to the whole change is to realize that what you're working for is more important than ______.  For me, I wanted to lose weight.  Suddenly, when I realized I had a closet full of clothes that I couldn't wear anymore, ice cream didn't seem so yummy anymore.

I learned a lot through Weight Watchers.  For those of you trying to drop a few pounds:  if you can beat portion size, fried foods and sweets, you've got the weight thing licked.  Plus, fresh fruits and veggies don't cost any Weight Watchers points, so I learned how to stop by the fresh market on the way home and stock up.  Feeling better, looking better. 

Good luck to everyone!

beautylovingirl

I don't eat right all the time so to be healthy I do run, take vitamins and drink aloootttt of water it's one thing that is so good for you. But if I want to have that little cheat session I can.:smileyhappy:

danyigirl05

Im trying a 3 day cleanse pretty soon and Im going to start eating a clean diet it will be tough but Im determined congrats on your journey of healthy choices!!!

LCResz

[ Edited ]

Excellent job Meg, hope you totally kick the habit quickly and permanently!

I am proud of my healthy cooking and commitment to yoga and Pilates. When I entered my 30s I never thought I'd be able to look the way I do now... Took a life altering diagnosis to kick my butt into shape! But I honestly believe that everything happens for a reason, and I know I have a lot to live for and be grateful for :smileyhappy: 

clarks18

Congrats on quitting smoking Meg82!!  I hear that is a very hard thing to let go.  I need to get off my butt and back into my workout schedule.  I was doing so well with it.  I was working out 5 times a week for at least and hour and a half.  But the last couple months have been a little rough in the personal life so I let myself get lazy.  I did however manage to cut out all soda from my diet.  I get at least two liters of water a day.  

nebel

Great thread!  Congrats on making the commitment to quit smoking!

My biggest recent change is to really monitor my water intake.  I do *not* drink enough water during the day, I know it, and I can see it in my skin and feel it in my energy level.  I am trying to drink three liters of water a day!

Diet wise, I try to eat tons of fresh, local, in-season fruits and veggies. I'm a vegetarian, so I make sure to keep my protein up with beans and nuts and stuff like that.  I have a weakness for cheese and ice cream, so i try to use those as treats for myself :smileyhappy:

ChicDabbler

It's so hot in the summer that I don't feel like cooking, so I've been eating quite a lot of salads and fresh fruit. While I do indulge in ice cream, frozen blueberries, mango or grapes are a pretty good substitute.

I'm currently addicted to Korean pop, so I told myself I can't listen to it unless I'm working out, which have motivated me to go to gym more. It's very dance-y with a strong beat, so perfect for treadmill or elliptical

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • janinebt
    • ChicDabbler
    • missjr
    • beautylovingirl
    • clarks18
    • rikkie