starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

m3rma1d

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

- Maybelline Eye Studio gel liner. I saw a lotta YouTube gals and bloggers raving about it like it was a crazy great drug store gem, so I grabbed it at Rite Aid one day with high hopes.. What a waste of $8.99!

Dry & clumpy like clay, so hard to put on. And then it melted into the inner AND outer corners of my eyes making me look a foolish mess. Gah, no.

- NYX Jumbo Pencil in Milk. Streaky mess of weirdness. Could NOT get it to apply evenly. Tried a brush, and even my finger. Nope. (love theit white base that comes in a jar tho, that goes on perfect with a brush!)

- Clinique Almost Lipstick in Black Honey. Way too much pigment, I looked like a Lourde wannabe. No thank you.

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

Smashbox Photo Op Eye Shadow Trio

I tried two different trios. With both of them, the darkest color didn't stay on my lid. It went all over under my eyes and even my cheeks and this is despite using the UD shadow primer with it. 

1SultrySCENTNut

(0) Hearts

You are not alone.. I have never seem much use in cleansing water - I do not use it or buy it.

I simply buy a goof facial cleanser and use water from the sink.  lol

Im not impressed by the Naked palette or any of the neutral palettes everyone has been buying up and getting on waiting lists for, there can be only so much brown, grey,cream, any neutral color. Neutral personally bores me, I have to have high pigment and color.

Joannimation

(0) Hearts

Okay, I went through this entire thread to find this one and didn't.

Am I the only one who isn't in love with Koh Gen Do's Cleansing Water? I got a bottle during the Friends and Family sale, and gave it a few chances, but it didn't remove a spec of makeup off my face! Everyone loves it, but I couldn't tell the difference between their cleansing water and regular water.

Please tell me I'm not alone in feeling this way!

KrispiKreme

Benefit's They're Real mascara- Not bad but it gives a very "natural" look when I want something more dramatic.

Tarte's Lights, Camera, Lashes- It really doesn't look like I have anything on my lashes when I use this.

BareMinerals anything- Messy and none of the colors work for me at all

Bumble and Bumble thickening shampoo and conditioner- It made my hair dry, frizzy, and left residue.

Almost anything by Josie Maran- I like the idea but the products tend to either dry out my skin or make me break out.

Face primers- Silicone primers make me break out and do nothing for the longevity of my makeup.

BB/CC creams and anything that is only one "universal" shade- These never match my skin. They look so so so so dark on me. Always. I need to get a picture of this to truly show the hilarity.

YSL touche eclat- Don't get me wrong. I like it. But it's definitely not my "holy grail" product.

shyvicki

(0) Hearts

I also didn't care for Tarte's Lights Camera Lashes mascara. I felt it didn't give me the length I wanted and it smudged a little bit. I do use and like They're Real. It gives me the length I crave.

katie1724

(0) Hearts

I never liked DuWop Lip Venom (and most other plumping glosses) -- they always make the area around my mouth, and my chin, red. 

Benefit's They're Real works wonders on so many, but it didn't do it for me. It's amazing at definition, but not fullness or volume (for me). I don't have very long or full lashes, though, so I think I need a more substantial mascara.

I agree with others on the UD 24/7 Liners -- I love (love!) the colors, but I could never get the point to stay sharp enough for a thin line; the product is too soft. Since I had to sharpen constantly, I probably wasted a lot. 

bad823

(0) Hearts

I don't know if anyone raves about it, for me it's MUF Sens'Eyes remover. I like the product but can't get past the pump.  I only need remover for traces of eyeliner that remain after cleansing. So I pump it in a Sephora snap sample case & swirl my q-tip around & use it that way.  

mimibel

Just an observation but maybe some product fails are due to quality control. theres been one post for UD liners being too soft, another for them being waxy and crumbly...

MK89

UD eyeliners...they're great in that they glide on so smoothly, but I have trouble creating my go-to cat eye because they're so soft and I can't ever sharpen them to the point I want

Bite lip pencils...I've only used two colors from the Best Bite set, but they did NOT glide on as smoothly as everyone said they did in their reviews. And Madeira looked hideous with my skin tone :smileysad:

Definicils Mascara...I really don't like it. Again, lots of great reviews, but does nothing for my short, straight-ish lashes, and does not hold a curl at all.

Heatoyos1

(0) Hearts

1. Origins moisturizers--I've tried a few and they are all too rich for me.

2. Clarisonic--I could forgive the purging stage, but the brush heads are just too unhygienic--they get all gunky and attract bacteria. Also, my Clarisonic Plus would only hold a charge for about 8 minutes using the face and body settings--when it should hold a charge for 20-30 minutes. The Clarisonic rep recommended that, as a solution, I could keep my unit plugged in 24 hours a day when I was not using it. Um, no. So I returned it. 

3. Any non-waterproof mascaras--I must cry a lot, or have a really weepy, or sweaty eye area, but they always bleed on me. :/

CaitlinBrunson

Your Clarisonic sounded like it had something wrong with it! Glad you returned it! Mine lasts a full 2/3 weeks without needing to be charged. 

itscarin

(0) Hearts

Good for you for abstaining from the UD Naked palettes.  One and two are almost identical and I probably have at least 1/2 a dozen of those ubiquitous "half baked" eyeshadows from all their different palettes. 

UD 24/7 liners -- I agree that those are overrated, too.  Zero is the worst black eyeliner, hands down.  I don't know anyone who actually uses Zero/likes it.  Perversion is good, though. 

Nars blush in Orgasm.  It's just not that great of a color.

Diorshow mascara.  I bought this once and I was not impressed.  Giorgio Armani Eyes to Kill is a much better mascara at that price point. 

i can't think of anything else I think is not worth the hype. 

pinktorridora

(0) Hearts

Benefit's They're Real mascara. The brush was too scratchy and my eyelashes were stick straight and weighed down.

mimibel

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

It's interesting how some products work so well for some people and don't work at all for others. Good thread Because it will remain timely as we try new things :smileywink:

*updated answer*

Some things that just do not float my beauty boat are:

All US BB creams so far except Flower. They are nothing like Asian BBs in coverage and texture. To be fair, Flower's BB doesn't offer the skin benefits of a true BB either so though I like color/coverage, it's fail as a BB concept product too. Let's just pretend it's a nice foundation that I don't have to set.

NYX Milk eye pencil. So many rave about it as a base. Its a creasy mess on me and I don't have oily or otherwise problem eyelids. It doesn't set. So yes, colorful shadows over it are bright...but bright and creasy. I've tried to work with it several ways. Nope.

The brand ELF in general. I tried a variety of products and tools across their lines, all were very much underwhelming. Yes, even for a just buck. 

(Looking over the first 3, it reflects my growing dissatisfaction with cheaper lines in drugstore beauty products in general. I think there are some good exceptions out there but in general 'you get what you pay for' certainly seems to be applying for me. I am getting less tolerant of makeup disappointments and things that are maybe 'just ok')

Fresh Sugar lip treatments and colors. Not moisturizing for me, my lips stay chapped when I use them. 

Balm Stains in general regardless of the price.  On me, they under-perform as either a stain or a balm. 

Smashbox Photofinish primer. To much slip, even thinly applied.

Korres Oakmoss  and Quercetin Age Reversing Primer. It may have treatment benefits over time but it's marketed as a primer and it doesn't have good attributes as a primer when tested. 

yaning

(0) Hearts

Agree with the Smashbox photofinish primer ! iT does not look good in hot weather. I do not trust NYX. I bought a white one in highschol it did not slide on. :smileysad: 

lovelykatya

1. Lorac Pro palette

2.UD eye primers

3. Phillosophy moisturizers 

4.UD Naked 2

5. Nars Orgasm blush

sp2001

(0) Hearts

lorac pro

ambient lighting powders

buxom/tarte lip stuff - dont like the taste/feel

CaitlinBrunson

Philosophy Purity Cleanser, Eve Lom Cleanser (hi, mineral oil), Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizer, any popular skincare product that has not so good ingredients or bad/unstable packaging

Urban Decay Liners

Bath & Body Works Candles- I am sorry but Yankee Candle's last longer and are more potent. Yes, there are more expensive but thats because they are better and last more than a few hours of burning time. I seriously do not get the obsession

Joe Malone - I just don't get it.

Beauty Blender - (I'm a germaphobe)

Chanel No5- Maybe I have immature smell taste buds but I do not understand how this is one of the top best selling perfumes in the world. 

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

OMG Chanel No 5 is THE WORST!! :x

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy