starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

LindenAnn

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Ugh, second the Chanel No 5 one. I got a sample once and hated it with a passion. Then I gave it to my mother-in-law and she was ecstatic. Maybe it's a generational thing?

Urbie

(0) Hearts

Moisturizing oils really break my out- I've gotten deluxe samples of a number of them, but they only thing I use them for is for moisturizing my cuticles after I remove polish!

sbowden

(0) Hearts

Me too! I thought I was the only one.  They're too much for my skin, they just kind of sit on top.  I recently picked up the Josie Maran Argan Oil Light to try, I'm hopeful that it will work better.  Have you ever tried it?

manniface

(0) Hearts

Ohh philosophy products dry out my skin all of the time- a shame because they smell so good. I'm also not big on lancome mascara or UD eyeshadow primers.

CaitlinBrunson

(0) Hearts

They always smell good in the bottle but never linger in the bath or on my body. Like cool, you smell when I stick my nose in the bottle. Too drying for me too!

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

I agree, not a huge fan of Philosophy, but I haven't found anything better than their exfoliating wash, sooo, that's pretty much it from them in my personal opinion :smileyhappy:

beeberz

fresh sugar lip treatments make my lips peel, clarisonic caused clogged pores on my otherwise clear cheeks and forehead, Urban decay eyeliners are just "meh" as far as staying power for me and make up for ever liners which are the highest recommended for inner eye rim (waterline) fades after about an hour on me.

oklady2013

Many Fresh products make me itch.

UD eye shadows look like disco balls on my eye lids. The UD matte shadows I find mostly chalky.

Benefit mascaras generally leave my lashes feeling hard/crisp

Clinique Dramatically Different Lotion is just ick on me and not moisturizing enough. I've tried it several times since it first launched many years ago.

Philosophy products smell awful and I have yet to find one that works for me.

Porefessional didn't do much for me.

lsp2005

1. Fresh Lip Balm. It stung my lips. 
2. Urban Decay Primer - it did nothing for me, and every eye shadow I tried using it with fell off much faster, and or creased.

3. Urban Decay Palettes - I am not a big glitter fan and they look horrible on me.

4. Loose powder eye shadows - they fall everywhere and I cannot get the hang of them.

lovebaking123

(0) Hearts

Benefit They're Real mascara (clumpy and gross), EOS lip balm (more drying than moisturizing), revlon balm stains (good colour, but did not stain my lips and barely lasted). 

marydiva

I have to add the UD eyeliners to this list. They are waxy, and the tip always crumbles on me. They smudge and always transfer and get everywhere. Overall, there's super messy and not good for anywhere except the lower lash line. 

roxystar4

marydiva, I'm not a fan on UD eyeliners either. they make a mess all over my eyes

mpolansky

Am I the only one who's not a fan of the Revlon Lip Butters? Maybe I got a bad one but it seriously always goes on chunky. Part of the product always breaks off and is never smooth. I don't understand how these are so raved about.... they definitely didn't work for me.

beeberz

(0) Hearts

ugh those were not good for me, those also made my lips peel! And the color tattoos & infalliable eyeshadows bot looked too caked on for me no matter how light of a hand i used.

starletta8

I have a horrible track record with most drugstore products, to be honest....

jellybean917

I know all of these have been mentioned, but I guess I want to let some other girls know they're not alone in product displeasure:

-Benefit Badgal mascara: caked and flaked. It felt like all of my eyelashes were falling out when I took it off.

-BB Creams: too heavy/orange. I do like Sephora Collection's CC Cream though. Perfect for days when I don't want full coverage.

-Anything Smashbox: I bought a kit from them awhile back because I heard how great they were, and I hated everything. The mascara was clumpy, the primer did nothing, the eyeliner was smudgy, and the eyeshadows didn't blend. Also tried the Photo Finish primer - made my skin feel greasy/icky.

SweetFirefly

Burt's Bees original lip balm. It smells like an airplane bathroom. I do love their cuticle cream though.

BeautyLove02

(0) Hearts

Benefit they're real mascara was so bad for me. Sooo many people love it and are always recommending it, but it's just so hard and clumpy. My lashes are very light, thin,  but long. This mascara just clumped them together and made them crispy feeling. Plus it was so hard to remove!

poshified

[ Edited ]

1) EOS lip balm

2) Fresh lip balm

3) Dior Hydralife BB cream

4) Origins GinZing eye cream

5) NARS And God Created Woman palette

6) Benefit Porefessional

7) Tarte Lipsurgence

8) MUFE foundations in general!

9) UD Primer Potion

10) Laura Mercier face primers

starletta8

After trying more products... Josie Maran in general just isn't doing it for me.

starletta8

I wasn't impressed by either the makeup removing wipes or the nail polish remover pads from last holiday's set.

Then, I tried the sunscreen from this year's Sun Safety Kit. My skin hated it.  Greasy and gross.

Yesterday may have been the final straw for me and this brand- I hated the Argan Cleansing Oil. I immediately turned around and used my regular cleanser.

I'm 0 for 4 with the brand- 0 for 5 if you count my disappointment with the mini blush stick.  That's certainly giving it a fair shake.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll