starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

MoreGun89

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

(0) Hearts

The cleansing oil does smell super nasty.  Not a huge fan of most items in the line.  I do like their cheek gelees  and body butters though!

orkira

Dior eyeshadows (5 color palettes) I got the Earth Reflections one and still can't tell the difference between 3 of the shades on my eyes even my husband thought the few times I wore it I only had two colors on...ugh!

Fresh Lip Balms those things break so easily for me they aren't worth it.

Urban Decay Naked Foundation that stuff was so hard to blend it wasn't funny.

poshified

(0) Hearts

Earth Reflections made me look like I had been punched repeatedly on both eyes, leaving me with two shiny reflective bruises!

islandqt

*ahem*

Dior Diorshow mascara

Maybelline Falsies (flakes SOOO BADLY!!)

MAC Beauty Marked eyeshadow (tried EVERYTHING, the glitter doesn't show up)

Fresh lip balms

Urban Decay eyeshadows

Chanel powder eyeshadows (the cream ones are awesome)

YSL Touche eclat ( I Like it, don't LOVE it)

beeberz

(0) Hearts

that beauty marked eyeshadow was not a hit for me either. :smileysad: i looked online where people said to put it on over a dark base but i didnt like the finished look. :smileysad:

1JENJEN1

Great Thread! I dislike the Lancome make up remover. It leave me oily, with make up and it smells like roses!

dianabt

Where do I begin!

-Lancome Bi Facil used to be my #1 until I got allergic and the oily finish turned to a horrible powder finish on my lids. :smileysad: no fun!

-Clinique Dramatically Different I've never been a fan of. Now that I know the difference between the lotion and gel and what they're for, I've found neither likes my skin still. I need much more hydration.

-Blockbuster palette. It's gorgeous but I can't imagine what I would do with so many shadows :smileywink: 

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
ezinabee

The Maybelline Falsies mascara. I have not used it with success, and I own two different ones. I like their colossal lash mascara, but the BEST drugstore mascara is Loreal Million Lashes. I love it. 

janinebt

I'd have to agree with most of what's already been said!

I don't really understand the whole limited edition products thing. People rave and dash to get new items that will only be around for a while. More often than not I find myself a little underwhelmed by limited edition things. I DO love the Tarte Aqualillies collection though.

Limited things are usually cute, but I'm not one to sulk if I don't get something. Besides most makeup only lasts a couple of years anyway, so eventually things will have to be tossed.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
CaitlinBrunson

The only "limited edition" think that I have ever been bummed about not being able to pick up is the Hourglass Lighting Palette. Other than pretty packaging, I don't get buying a "limited edition" product. If I do like a product and am impressed with it, It creates some frustration with me and the brand. Like why create something so great and then take it away?! Feel similar to when a company discontinues a GREAT product but keeps the mediocre or even poor ones on the shelves! 

annonymous1

(0) Hearts

i completly agree! also, if you fall in love with the product you wont be able to buy it a second time :smileysad: 

rtista

I have three: Lancome Hypnose Star mascara just doesn't work on my lashes.  I have naturally long, curled lashes (though not very voluminous), and that mascara makes some of my lashes pin straight and clump together...it's NOT a good look.  I couldn't wait to finish my sample (which I did). 

I also dislike the Sugar lip treatments, which did nothing to moisturize my lips this winter.  To be fair, perhaps they're not supposed to be *that* moisturizing, I dunno. 

American BB creams:  Tried the Smashbox, Tarte, and Boscia and just found that they do nothing for my acne-scarred, oily skin.  I tried authentic Korean BB creams (Lioele, Dr. Jart + Silver, Elisha Coy) and I LOVE these.  The coverage is infinitely superior, and my complexion is so much brighter and clearer by the end of the day.  Interesting thread!

marydiva

GlamGlow! UGH. I just didn't feel like it did ANYTHING for my skin. 

Manda

(0) Hearts

GlamGlow seriously dried out my skin and i have combination. :/ It also caused a burning sensation as well.

starletta8

(0) Hearts

Ooh, that makes me nervous since I have some to try!

xshell

I love this thread!

I read every beauty blogger and editor rave about the Giorgio Armani Maestro Foundation and unfortunately bought 2 shades out of hopeful excitement of the next coming. And now they sit in my drawer collecting expensive dust. UGH

I found it extremely drying and highlighted the flaky patches (I don't even really have dry skin!) and it was an ugly sallow matte on the skin. An utter disappointment.

michmo

As some others have said Bare Minerals.  There is a great match to my color, but I just never liked how it felt for me.  I always felt like my face was dirty when I was putting it on.  Plus there was the fact that it just didn't make me feel pretty like some other foundations do.  I keep my jar around and every once in a while try it again, but every time it's the same thing.  

yaning

(0) Hearts

I agree, I bought them when I was in university now I still have the blushes. The brush is of poor quality as well. 

brennn

For me it'd be the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder.  This is one of those YouTube cult products & at the price I figured there was nothing to lose by trying it. I find it to be so chalky & even with a very light hand it looks ashy on my med/tan skin. I also find that it does absolutely nothing for oil control. I'm better off just blotting rather than blot & apply this. Somehow this makes me oily faster; literally within a half hour post blotting my t-zone is shiny compared to 4-5 hours post blotting without it!

brittieeee

The Sugar Lip Treatment (or any other pricey lip balm for that matter) - just a glorified and slightly flavored petroleum jelly 22x the price.

DTalksAll

Have you compared the ingredients? The Sugar Lip Treatments are PACKED with moisturizing ingredients for the lips with absolutely no petrolatum! Petroleum Jelly is actually not supposed to be used on the lips. It's full of mineral oil which can cause breakouts, it doesn't moisturize the lips, because it can't penetrate & it's carcinogenic. 

Beeswax is great for the lips, petrolatum, not so much... 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll