starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

manniface

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Please check your facts: refined mineral oil doesn't cause breakouts more significantly than any other oil, it is an effective occlusive moisturizer and IT IS NOT CARCINOGENIC. 

That being said I personally prefer the feel of wax based balms like burts bees but I agree with a lot of people who think that the sugar lip treatments arent worth the money. Also they are terrible if you live in the desert as they melt like crazy :smileysad:

nathaliew

For me it would be the Dior Show mascara....The brush is pretty good but the formula is clumpy and drying and for the price it's really a bad product

emmaclaire

I've been thinking about this topic for awhile now since I first posted, and I've come to realize I generally don't like palettes in general!  I own a few eyeshadow palettes that I like and use, but I don't have ANY where I love/use every single color.  I don't have any lip palettes, but I'm so particular about lipstick I couldn't imagine wanting one and using more than one or two colors either. And generally I HATE face palettes - I'm too pale for them most of the time anyway.

It's silly because sometimes they're a great way to save money, but 99% of the time I'd rather just buy the individual products I know I'll love and use.  Less wasteful!

pinkonyx

(0) Hearts

Wen shampoo, urban decay in general, eye shadow primers, and Murad skin care.

CzaCee

Revlon Lip Butters. i freakin hate that this product is soooooo raved about. like i don't see anything special about it. arghhhhh.

miabt

Fun topic!  I totally agree with a lot of you on not caving to the hype!  I will admit that in my earlier years of makeup, I was quick to fall into fads & listen to these so called "beauty bloggers" that rave about products, especially when they dupe products with lower end drug store products.  I also fall prey to the "limited edition, online only, for 2 hour" sales that MAC tends to have (case in point, todays RiRi Collection), but I've been trying to be more conscious about the so called must haves :smileyhappy:  I feel your beauty pain, ladies!!

xo, Mia

jlynndoeshair

face primers! i think in general they are just a big gimmick and i will probably never waste my money on one again. i have the too faced primed and poreless face primer, and while i admit it does make my skin feel softer and has a nice matte finish, i don't think it actually makes my makeup last any longer. and i am a big too faced fan, so for me to write a bad review for one of their products is very out of the ordinary. however, i do think a good eye primer makes all the difference in the world! too faced shadow insurance has literally changed my life :smileyhappy:

marydiva

I don't like face primers either! They feel greasy to me! 

crayzeeRN

Funny, I keep thinking the same thing as of late with face primers. I've found my face lotions/creams seem to work just as well to prime my face rather than adding another layer of primer!

Seiba

Interesting topic!

For me, the first thing that comes to mind if Bare Minerals foundation, since it just didn't work for me and I cannot stand the mess it made on my counter when I try it. 

Another is something a lot of people have posted on here already. UD Naked palettes. I have the basic one, and that's okay, but after getting my HUGE Coastal Scents palette, I found that I really have no need for more eyeshadow palettes in general, much less ones that are heavily glittery or shimmery. I like the matte one though, since a good matte formula is so hard to find. 

Another thing: natural bristle brushes. A-whaaaaaa? The natural brushes I've tried for eyeshadows have ALL been scratchy in some form or another, or lose its shape so easily, or some other thing that annoys me. I know a lot of people claim that natural bristles are the best for eyeshadow and color pickup but I guess I'll be one of the forever synthetic girls.

mxcx

Can we talk about drugstore products here too? .. because I just don't get what the hype is with Maybelline The Falsies mascara! Or Maybelline mascaras in general; I've tried two or three of their formulations and they were all super wet, smudged like crazy, and didn't hold a curl for more than five minutes.

shyvicki

Same here. Every Maybelline mascara I've ever tried, including Great Lash, made me look like a raccoon by the end of the day. 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

You can talk about any product you want!

ChicDabbler

The OPI sale have finally given me the opportunity to play with many nail polishes, and I can finally say with certainty that....nude nails don't suit me. It just look so...flat, even with a shiny top coat. I can do sheer pink, or shimmery neutrals, but not the opaque neutrals/nude rose/peach tones you see on magazines. 

starletta8

Not a fan of mannequin hands?

ChicDabbler

Nahh. I tried shiny top coat and glitter top coat, doesn't help. I'll stick to sheer pink for my "neutral/professional/business" nails. =/

starletta8

I like Deborah Lippmann Careless Whisper or Modern Love for business.

ChicDabbler

lolcats-funny-picture-lalalalala.jpg

I did not hear that, for the sake of my wallet. *peeks*

drrragon

eeeeeek!  this cat is SO ADORABLE!  @beautytester how do you always find the most totally awesome animal pics!  like our favorite melodramatic squirrel, and all those LOLcats, and the lioness and the lion one.....

starletta8

(0) Hearts

That squirrel is my personal mascot.

starletta8

Sorry!  One's a sparkly nude and the other is a beautiful dusty mauve.

Then again, I've been known to wear literally every color to my office!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll