starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

Spyski

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Philosophy products smell weird. 

Hope in a jar especially. I put a sample on my hands while I was at Ulta and had to find the nearest towel or piece of cloth or something to get that crud off! Yuck. Products that work are one thing, but if they have a funky scent to them sorry I just can't use it, especially if the scent lingers. 

ChicDabbler

Haha, I'm ok with Hope in a Jar's smell cuz right now I've got a facial mist that smells like wilted lettuce (watercress detox elixir from Super by Perricone). It works fine on normal skin, but the problem for me is that it stings and burns on wind chapped or irritated skin, which only happens in the winter, and I can only use it in the winter, so. =/

Spyski

That's exactly how Hope in a Jar smelled like...wilted lettuce. Reminds me of the Love Lettuce mask at LUSH actually. No thanks, I'll stick with smelling like a giant cucumber if I'm feeling fresh.

kenny

I know what you mean. I've gotten samples of Hope in a Jar, but I couldn't get past that smell

annonymous1

I recently recvieved Too Faced's Budior eyes? 

i hate this palette literally and i am such a fan of any eyeshadow palettes but this one just didnt do it for me, its like no special colors or anything the box is like made of tin? but it doesent even have a mirror or didnt include a brush or anything, for 38 bucks i expected something different 

latinadiva

(0) Hearts

i don't have this palette but i agree, this one looked like such a disappointment. i literally own every single eye palette from too faced "natural, naked, smokey, natural at night, romantic, summer" blah blah. this palette, while the new colors were pretty, majority of them i already have in other palettes. what's the point?

ellevee09

Orgasm blush by Nars please sit down! #js

poohblueberry

Hi Ladies!

I've read your thread about Pantene shampoo and wanted to put in my two cents worth.

I was at my doctor's a few months ago and she had noticed that my scalp was flaking pretty badly - I told her that it was because I used Pantene every day (before I realized what the shampoo was doing to me). She advised that I should shampoo every other day - I did that, and still my scalp was flaking.

I think most of us bought into the myth that Pantene is a good brand - I'm here to say that Pantene (the clear shampoo anyways) really stripped my hair of any trace of oil - my hair felt like straw afterwards and my scalp flaked something awful.

Sooooo, I would recommend that you *not* purchase Pantene if you want to avoid the problems that I ended up having.

By the way, because Pantene (clear) is a *grease* stripper, I decided to experiment. I had accidentally spilled some olive oil on my sleeve; I decided to put some Pantene (clear) on the stain, used an old toothbrush and scrubbed the Pantene into the stain. I then threw it into the washer on the hottest water setting, and believe or not, the oil stain was gone! Voila!!!

So, if anything, you can use your harsh shampoos for ring-around-the-collar stains and other oil/grease stains you may encounter in your laundry basket!! :smileyvery-happy:

Manda

(0) Hearts

Pantene is also full of waxes, which prevents moisture from getting into the hair. Yeah, it may look beautiful the first say but the first couple of weeks, your hair tends to get stripped of its oil.

serioustree

Great to know! Haha I will not throw it out anymore! ^__^*

emmaclaire

This is such an interesting thread, I can't believe I've never noticed it before!

Anyway, some beauty products that are widely considered near-perfect have been complete flops for me.  For example:

- Make Up For Ever HD foundation.  Ugh, I was so greasy and ashy (yet also orange!  WHAT) and the product just seemed to sit on top of my skin like a film, but without providing much coverage at all

- Most Lancome mascaras!  I don't know if I have weird eyelashes, but I really can't recall a single Lancome mascara that I was even content with.  They were gloppy, messy, clumpy, and still didn't provide any curl, volume, or length.  Pass!

- Urban Decay eyeshadows.  I have the Naked 2 palette, and I like it, but in general I just am not impressed by their shadows - they aren't particularly pigmented, buttery, long-wearing, or easy to apply.

- Pretty much anything by Benefit EXCEPT their mascaras.  I don't know what it is about this brand, but I have been so unimpressed with product after product, with the exception of Bad Gal and They're Real mascaras.

marydiva

OH I KNOW! Lancome Mascaras just do NOT work for me. They're clumpy and they don't do anything for my lashes. Plus, they irritate my eyes! 

starletta8

(0) Hearts

I had the same problem with MUFE HD foundation- except I broke out, on top of everything!

emmaclaire

Ugh, how infuriating!  Make Up For Ever is one of my favorite brands, but I've come to realize it's because their EYE PRODUCTS are so phenomenal.  Any of their face makeup is a disaster for me.  The Mat Velvet was amazing for me - full coverage, matte all day, great shade match... AND CYSTIC ACNE TWO DAYS LATER!!!  Ugh.

roxystar4

I find great deals at TJMaxx. I love the Giovanni Brand - they have  all different kinds of shampoos and conditioners.

I pay $12.99 for a large container of it with a pump Unknown.jpeg

I agree with clarks18 about trying to avoid certain chemicals in shampoos/conditioners (she listed : Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sulfur, TEA Lauryl Sulfate). I also try to avoid phthalates as well. But that is just me. I get tempted all the time to use nicer/fancier products (sometimes I do) but try to stay the course with less chemicals.  I get nervous about having all my pores open in the hot shower and letting chemicals in. 

starletta8

Sulfates are just pure evil if you have color-treated hair (I think we van all agree with that).

lolo01

[ Edited ]

For me it was the Clarasonic... The sensitive formula completley broke me out in red hives all over my face... :smileysad:

drrragon

@clarks18 -- hey thanks for all that info!  I will check those brands out!

clarks18

@dannyc

I was just putting that out there for people. 

clarks18

Pantene isn't an evil shampoo, if you have normal hair and use it and like it... Keep on using it. Throw in a clarifying shampoo twice a week with it. Just to get rid of some of the buildup. I don't use it because it dries my heavily heavily highlighted hair out. It has ingredients you want to avoid especially if you treat your hair with chemicals or color or use a lot of heat tools on your hair. Some ingredients to avoid in any shampoo (not just Pantene) are sulfates. In particular Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Sulfur, TEA Lauryl Sulfate. They strip your hair which causes the frizz and lifelessness that most people complain about. So if you color your hair and use a shampoo with a lot of sulfates your color will fade way faster.

I googled a few drugstore shampoos that people like that don't have all these ingredients are Garnier Fructis Fortifying Shampoo, L’Oreal Vive Pro Nutri Gloss Shampoo, Back To Basics Citrus Clarifying Sage Shampoo.

Hope this helps a little. If you look online there are a ton of shampoos that might work for what you are looking for. I think though if you are happy with a product you should continue to use it and enjoy it! Everyone is different!

DTalksAll

if you wash you're hair every other day, why use panteen to use a clarifying shampoo 2x during the week. Seems a little counterintuitive no? Why use a shampoo that causes the buildup when there are better alternatives out there?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll