starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

AmyC

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Wow. Pantene is all I use. I want to crawl under a table now.

drrragon

oh my gosh!  I've been using Pantene for years!  Do you guys have any drugstore brands that you'd recommend over Pantene?  Or are there specific ingredients that I should look out for?  Help!

clarks18

@dannyc

I am so glad someone realizes this! Pantene is pretty much a mixture of wax and the same ingredients that laundry soap is made out of. It coats your hair with wax. Tricking you into thinking it's repairing your hair, when really it is destroying your hair. Invest in some good hair products. Especially if you color, heat style, chemically treat your hair.

DTalksAll

Another brand... Pantene. It's so bad for your hair, a good colorist will not touch it until you've had a clarifying treatment. Sure it makes the hair LOOK shiny & soft ---> It's full of wax that sits on top of the hair and weighs it down. I guess with all their advertising & celebrity endorsements people still think it's good for you. 

roxystar4

@dannyc  Yes I also think Pantene is terrible for hair. I have had 2 friends lose crazy amounts of hair and when they stopped using Pantene, their hair stopped shedding like mad.

onomotopoeia9

[ Edited ]

That happened to me -- I lost hand fulls of hair until I changed shampoos.

I use John Freida's Brilliant Brunette line now and i am thrilled with how it makes my hair all sleek and shiny without any of that c***

crayzeeRN

Pantene made my hair really fragile and I got crazy amount of splint ends!

kristaleann

[ Edited ]

Benefit the Porefessional primer. I used it with different foundations, and it just never worked out well for me. 

Really though, it's almost like primer in general just has an opposite effect on me. I have tried so many different types and it's almost like it just makes foundation sink into my pores even more. I guess my skin is just really weird :smileytongue:

kissenmakeup

Idk, But I hated the MUFE MAt Velvet + can't find the right match,  i have tried the shade one by one, but 30 was the closest but runs a bit dark on me.. (ref nc15-nc20) everyone loves it bu can't wear  as it gives me bad breakout. and the coverage is not that flattering, it oxidized too. i dont know if it's me. I prefer the MUFE HD and MUFE Face & Body.

Benefit Hoola- dry, muddy and too orange but almost everyone seems to like it. 

missjr

What a terrific topic!  

The product that I simply can't bring myself to rave over is the Philosophy Purity Made Simple one-step cleanser.  I realize that a lot of users love this cleanser, but it simply didn't work for me.  For starters, it dried out my skin and irritated it beyond belief.  Apparently, the black pepper extract and fragrant oils this cleanser contains was damaging to my skin and left me with puffy eyes that made it look as if I had gone several rounds with Mike Tyson.  I had to stop using it immediately.  However, I refuse to throw it out and now use it to clean my brushes whenever I run out of my brush cleaner.

Another product that did not work for me was the Shiseido Bio-Performance Super Eye Contour Cream, which was highly rated  by Sephora customers and recommended by the "Cosmetics Cop."  Not only was this expensive eye cream a dud for me, but it did nothing for my under eye circles and actually made them worse.  I finally mustered up the nerve to throw the bottle out and feel somewhat vindicated now that the product has been discontinued.

daphneef

im not a big fan of the urban decay Primer potion it just feels greasy on my lids and it does nothing with helping my eyeshawdow with lasting longer i'd personally rather use the nyx or e.l.f one which is cheaper but way better

DTalksAll

I can't stand the original, but am obsessed with Eden! It's skin toned & and matte. To me it's the perfect base. 

sephoralovex

I can't stand the original either. I've been wanting to try Eden but it's been out of stock! :smileysad:

prosopon

I like Too Faced shadow insurance and I just found that Milani's eyeshadow primer does as good of a job for almost one fourth of the price!  You got to love these drugstore gems!

kristaleann

I have honestly never tried the urban decay potion but I absolutely LOVE the e.l.f. one! It makes such a huge difference in my eyeshadow 

kenny

Also Bare Minerals Foundation. I tried both the original and matte formula and I just don't understand what people like so much about it. It took a lot of time and effort to build up coverage and it would fade in only a couple hours (this was with primer and everything). While they do make some other great products I don't understand the foundation hype.

emmaclaire

I HATE bare minerals foundation!  It looked like an oily orange mess on my face, and I agree that it took WAYYYY too much product to get any coverage.  Ugh.  Terrible.

mxcx

I super agree with you about Urban Decay Naked palettes! I caved and got the Naked2 when UD had a sale and was super underwhelmed by it. Honestly, I'm just pretty underwhelmed by UD eyeshadows in general..

And the Naked foundation! I've tried the foundation multiple times to see if there was just something I was missing (and I'm a foundation junkie), but there's just nothing I really like about it. :\

1Emily

I hear rave reviews about the Benefit They're Real! mascara all the time, and I really just don't understand the hype. It does absolutely nothing for me.

crewfan

I'm with you on Benefit They're Real mascara! I know they are in this years birthday gift, and I'll be giving that away. I find that mascara almost impossible to remove, and it's not worth losing lashes! 

DanaKontnik

Benefit's Bad Gal mascara too! Too clumpy and my lashes just look messy. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll