starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

kenny

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

I agree with the lip balm also! I have a really hard time wrapping my head around paying that much for lip scrubs and lip balms. I do have sample sizes of them, but I can't justify the price when I can make my own lip scrub and there are many cheaper lip balms

starletta8

Yikes, I can see why that would scare you off of Dior mascara!

And I'm glad someone else is enjoying hearing the (polite) expressions of going against the grain. We're all about love here at BT, but we can't all love everything at once!

For the record, I'm with you on Sugar lip balm. I love the scrubs, but don't find the balm to be overly hydrating or worth full price.

annonymous1

i got it as a deluxe sample, which is fine but i would not pay for that otherwise especially if you can so easily make your own

ChicDabbler

Oh I got a sample of it before and made a dupe. If you like Fresh sugar lip scrub, just put brown sugar in a Sephora sample jar, add a couple drop of oil (olive, grapeseed, sesame etc), then add however much vaseline/rose salve needed so the sugar comes together and is not crumbly. Done. That's what I've been using so far.

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

wheeee I make one with brown sugar, honey, and coconut oil.

Hard not to just lick it all off tho. :smileytongue:

prosopon

Thanks for the easy DIY!

serioustree

@starletta8 ooOOoooo what's your favorite TM?

starletta8

Bobbi Brown Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer.

Then again, it's tough for me to find a foundation match.  I can actually wear the TM to work and just not wear blush to have a total natural look.

I tried Laura Mercier before that (nope, not a fan) and NARS (again, no- I couldn't find the right mix of shade and undertones).

starletta8

To add more products:

BB Creams- Until being introduced to my new favorite TM, I would've lumped all TMs in with BB creams. I haven't found a BB that does anything great for my skin- and the US-based ones tend to be too dark.

MUFE Foundation: I see this being recommended as a full-coverage foundation.  I see that being the case. However, I've never had a product break me out like that before!

starletta8

A couple others:

Benefit Bad Girl Lash/They're Real!: Again, I know people rave about Benefit everything, but especially these mascaras. I didn't find them to be anything special- or really a good buy.

Most Benefit Products: I think the packaging is adorable... but aside from a couple of products I like (Boi-ing, Dandelion), I find the line to be all about packaging and not worth the pricepoint.  I know lots of people rave, but I just can't get behind the hype.  I've certainly tried!

roxystar4

@starletta8 I agree with you about Benefit being about packaging. 

sephoralovex

I agree on the Benefit They're Real. SOO many people raved about it but it just didn't work for me. Did nothing really.

serioustree

@sephoralovex

I agree with you. I think the western cosmetic industry just completely ruined the meaning of bb creams and transformed it to whatever they want, creating crap products that are supposed to live up to the standard of but cannot compare to asian brands. 

annonymous1

i agree with this, the original BB cream is like a white paste that completely COVERS pimples and redness & i think most of them are made with green tea. 

sephoralovex

BB creams - Don't get me wrong, I love the BB creams in Asia (currently waiting for one to come in the mail:smileyhappy:) But all the ones I've tried from drugstores and high end just don't seem to work well with my skin. Some are too liquidy, orange, makes me oily than ever. I keep trying them and trying them but I think I'll just stick with the ones from Asia. 

Urban Decay Naked Basics - I do have it. Just don't use it as much anymore. Literally 3 of the 6 colors are identical.. Except one is a satin finish. Idk I think there should have been more variety between the six colors. 

serioustree

ANY of the products from the Caudalie line, I don't understand why they need to add fragrance or alcohol into the products I want to try... just dries me up or breaks me out. So much for "natural" branding...

ChicDabbler

Haha, Caudalie is such a hit or miss. I love Caudalie beauty elixir so I decided to try more of their stuff. I got a set, and for the first time ever, I'm getting a full face of breakout/unmistakable allergic reaction from the product I'm trying, and it's either the Caudalie moisturizer or serum. X.X

ps. Some alcohol are naturally derived, and some formula actually have moisturizing properties. I looked it up after finding "xx alcohol" on my alcohol-free toner.

ChicDabbler

[ Edited ]

Oh I have so many, lol.

Yes to cucumber wipes - make my skin burrrrrn.

Burt's Bee lip balm - never really sinks in on me but leaves a film. I tried, I got 5 or 6 different ones, but my lips just don't like them.

Boscia black mask - heh, got a vendetta against me a while back for saying it. The mask itself is ok, but the fragrance stings my eyes and it's watery the whole time the mask is on. I have a stronger and a gentler version of this that I like much better.

Hmm, the only reason why I'm not getting UD Naked is that it contains too much glitter. Nowadays, there's much more options for neutral palettes with less glitter and more matte/shimmer, I have those in my favorite list. Also, Maybelline Babylips kind of dries my lip out, but I really like the color I got and it have SPF20, so I still like it.

SweetFirefly

(0) Hearts

It's so weird how differently people's skin will react to a product. I love the yes to cucumbers wipes, but my skin has never reacted badly to anything so I'm not the best source for sensitive skin products :/

runy

My eyes water too with the black mask!

bearsmom

Oh I didn't think of Burt's Bees... Yuck!!!  Left a film and then my lips flaked for days!!!  Never again!!!  I do like Fresh Sugar, though.    I agree with clarks18... it's a ridiculous price for Chapstick.  But after I received it in last years birthday gift, I keep tin on hand, as well as rosebud's strawberry balm. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll