starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

crayzeeRN

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Smashbox Photo Finish Primer... all of them. Not sure if it's the high amount of silicone in these or what, but I'm pretty sure they clog my pores and cause breakouts.

Benefit They're Real and BadGal Mascaras- I love the majority of Benefit's products, but these two popular mascaras do absolutely nothing positive for me!

The new Josie Maran Coconut Watercolor Cheek Gelee- these perform terribly for me!

voxover

BB and CC creams seem kinda superfluous, cakey and hard to apply from what I've tried so far. :/  Seems that they're for people who are mad about having freckles/sliiiight discoloration and for the most part even skin.

nebel

I have to second this- and people are all "oh well you have to try the REAL ASIAN ONES"  it is specifically the Asian-formulated BB and CC creams that i've tried and HATED.  They are so thick and feel foul and god only knows what's in them.   I actually don't mind that the "fake" american bb and cc creams are thinner/more like tinted mosturizer.  

waterbaby1981

I've got a couple of things I can't stand, mainly because I react to them.  With very fair skin, it's usually very obvious when I do.

Dior mascaras:  make my eyes itch and water.  Last time was an allergic reaction to it.  NOT COOL.  I couldn't wear eye makeup for a couple of days.

Purity cleanser: took makeup off well, but my face felt really tight afterward, even after moisturizer, and made my face start to break out (usually I never break out.  Ever.  I have good genes to thank for that!)

BB AND CC creams: they do not spread easily or do not blend into the skin like they should and look more like a mask than any foundation I have tried

sephoramusthave

I don't like the Philosophy brand as a whole----their skincare irritates my skin, their bodywashes dry my skin out like nothing else.....I tried to give them another shot by buying one of their nailpolishes pretty recently and it stained my nails even though it was a very soft pink color that needed many layers to be opaque.....just not for me.

Benefit Benetint-----Overall, I'm a benefit girl. Love most of their items, especially their creaseless cream shadows and boxed powders. But I am not a fan of liquid rouge or this nailpolish style packaging. On cheeks it really does look lovely, but its a mess to apply and stains my fingers. On the lips, its terribly drying, goes on streaky and uneven and has a very unpleasant bitter taste if you accedently lick your lips.

DesertRose0706

Kat Von D's Tattoo Foundation - i love a full coverage foundation, but this one just looks cakey, doesn't last long, and every shade I have tried has oxidized very badly, making it look either unnaturally orange or pink on my skin.  Not pretty!

Urban Decays 24/7 concealer - i have been on the hunt for a great concealer for blemishes and tried this one after seeing great reviews.  for me, it had hardly any coverage, was very greasy and didn;t stay put for more than 30 mins.

Benefits Prefessional - i have large pores and am alwayslooking for a good primer to help disguise them.  I tried this primer because EVERYONE loves it, but it just didn;t seem to do anything at all for my skin.  couldn;t even tell a difference when I used it.

nebel

Benefit in general!  I am just not a fan of the brand.

jennypenny1995

Benefit's "They're Real" Mascara.  Ugh!  The tip of the wand is METAL.  Do I need to say more?

Philosophy skin care: I've only EVER had 1 true allergic reaction to a cosmetic product and that was Maybelline's Great Last Mascara when I was in high school.  Actually 2 reactions: The second was to Clinique's Sunless Tanning Lotion.  Both in high school.  I think Philosophy may have ingredients that work, but every single thing I've tried has made my skin either itch (reaction) or feel slapped (reaction).

Bobbi Brown color products: Plain and simple, they are overpriced.  Color range good, but the quality is extremely similar to Clinique, Benefit.

m3rma1d

(0) Hearts

Not trying to protest your hatred of They're Real, but the wand is all plastic, not metal.

poemelyric

I agree with the UD Naked Palettes.  I bought them because everyone was raving about them but I can't wear the mattes and the ones I can use are so shimmery, I can't manage more that two at a time. I thought Naked 2 would be better but they're more cool shades and don't go well with me.   I prefer the Black palette.  It's all different tinted blacks. 

Givenchy's Mascaras... I have problems every

time I use it.  I got it as a deluxe sample and I just ended up throwing it out because it flaked and clumped.

Any Avon skincare.  I tried to go cheap with my skincare and I suffered!  I would break out even on the acne line.  I tried them for 2 months and it was just getting worse so I went to Clinique and that didn't help either so I went to Murad and that has helped tremendously. 

Kat Von D's Love and Fury Palette... It had cream eyeshadows that dried up not even a couple of months after purchasing it.  Love Kat, not her cream shadows.  Also, some of her palettes aren't too stable.  I have 2 where some of the colors have cracked and that's just after light wear.  The newer palettes I've been having more luck with.  Maybe it was the formulation.  It seemed to be the silver/white based ones that I had a problem with.

Any mineral make up...  It separates on my skin and looks like a mask.  Even using primer.  Hate mineral makeup.  Everytime I go to Sephora, they ask me if I want to try it.  I try to explain that I have very oily skin but they keep pushing it on me.  Not a fan. 

UD Naked foundation...  It's too chaulky on my skin.  I went with 7.0 and it looked like a horrible mask.  Then I went 8.0 and it was too dark.  7.5 has the wrong undertones so I'm stuck.  I've never found UD to make great foundations and concealers for deeper skin tones.  I usually just stick to eyeshadows, base and lip pencils and eyeliners with them.  I do miss their funky colors though...  Now everything is about Naked with them.  I miss their frosty blue lipsticks, LOL!

serioustree

My aunt used to sell Avon products and says even she doesn't use the products...

runy

Philosophy Purity.  It doesn't even do a good job removing makeup or cleansing but not only that it broke me out like crazy.  I will never use or recommend that product to anyone.

Philosophy body washes.  They smell good in the bottle but they don't leave any fragrance on the skin.  I know they say that's part of their purpose but why would I want to smell red velvet cake in the shower and not smell like one myself?

serioustree

Honestly, smelling th red velvet cake would make me want to eat some lol

WhereYouStand

I'm guilty of hating the Philosophy Brand scents they are just too strange for me for instance animal cracker scented anything Bleh! yeah I think it's more of a name brand gimmick then anything else for the teen boppers out there but that's just me. & Clinique mascara something about it bleeds into my eyes after a couple of hours and I literally have to pick strings of it off the eyes and then want to hurl from the grossness of actually touching my eyes with my fingers. & thinking about all the bacteria I am transferring to them from touching them so directly 

WhereYouStand

I'm guilty of hating the Philosophy Brand scents they are just too strange for me for instance animal cracker scented anything Bleh! yeah I think it's more of a name brand gimmick then anything else for the teen boppers out there but that's just me. 

serioustree

omg... yeah... anything from the Yes To line burns my face. 

I got a Caudelie Cleansing and Lip duo for christmas and oh goshy that thing just tore my face apart. I had a ton or redness, it burned and I flaked for two weeks following. 

ChicDabbler

Oh I had the same reaction! Redness, sensitivity, itchy and flaky patches....T.T.... the cleansing water and lip I had no problem with, tho not my favorite, but the reaction occurred when I introduced Caudalie serum/moisturizer into my regimen. I'm not sure if it's one or both product, or if it's reacting to my toner etc, but right now I'm back to my old standby of Clinique/Origins. Not trying anything new until my skin's back to normal.

clarks18

@serioustree

Covergirl has my heart when it comes to mascara.  Especially for the price and the coupons.  I will only stray away from them if they change their formulas or if I have another Dior Show experience.

serioustree

@clarks18

I TOO LOVE COVERGIRL MASCARAS. plus there are coupons out there, so you can always get them cheaper than what their price actually is. Haha

clarks18

I agree with everyone who said the UD Naked palettes.  I'm never been one to get that excited about a bunch of neutral shadows.  A lot of people love them but to me they are just another palette. 

I had a horrible experience with Dior mascara the ended up sending me to the eye doctor.  It was the most flakey, dry, and crumbly mascara I have ever used.  I only used it once and it clumped so bad that a piece got into my eye and made it's way behind my eyeball.  The eye doctor had to remove it after I tried for 45 mins and failed miserably to get it out.  Maybe I just had a bad tube but still....never again Dior Show mascara!  I'll stick to my Covergirl that no one else seems to be a fan of ha! 

Also the Sugar lip balm.  Not a fan and frankly it's a little expensive for what it is....  I'll be the first person to drop major bucks on awesome makeup products but chapstick....not so much. 

I really enjoy seeing all the products that people are not crazy about.  It's refreshing and a nice change of pace.  Sometimes you need to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly before buying a product.

runy

OMG clarks what a nightmare!  I always fear this happening!  I wear contacts too which make my eyes super sensitive so anytime something gets in there I freak out.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll