starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

starletta8

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

I didn't even think about Burt's Bees either... I know they're famous for their lip products, but of all of the things I've tried- they're the bottom of my list.

sephoralovex

The yes to cucumbers wipes made my skin so red and itchy. Also broke me out like crazy! Ever since that happened I've been scared to try anything else from the Yes To lines

kristaleann

These wipes burned my face! My mom used some of the Yes To Tomatoes products and really liked them, so I thought these wipes would work well.. I was wrong!

ChicDabbler

Yeah I tried but I can't like the Yes To line. I have the Yes to Tomatoes moisturizer....no feelings about it whatsoever, a big meh, typical drugstore feel. Then there's the Yes to Cucumber wipes. I also tried Yes to Pomagranate lip balm, it leaves a white layer and doesn't feel good, yuck. The only thing that was good was the big jar of Yes to Carrot body cream/butter, it's good but nothing special.

In general I find the drugstore skincares have more chance of being stuffy/oily/break me out than higher end stuff. I had some success with Boots no.7, but I haven't tried anything after I got addicted to Sephora. =X

starletta8

As a side note on Boots- in the UK, their definition of drugstore is much higher-end.  For example, in some locations you can get Chanel polish in store.  So, I look at the Boots line as a bit higher-end than US drugstore brands.

DTalksAll

FUN thread! 

1. Dior Brow Styler I like to keep my brows thick ( the thin "over plucked" line does not look good on my face) but I still need to fill them in. Pencils are quicker for me than a brush & powder, and everyone raved about the universal shade of the brow styler. I tried it a few times & had to return it. My brows looked so bold it made me want to get over plucked brows. 

2. Bobbi Brown Gel liner First off I think the consistency is more of a cream liner than a gel. I love the buxom gel liner, it's thick, easy to pick up on a brush & multiple brushes work with it (angled, flat top, point...) The BB for me only works with a point, doesn't glide on evenly & I need multiple coats to get any color from it. 

3. Argan Oil for face I've been using Argan Oil on my hair for years, but it doesn't work well for my face. I also remember someone comparing face oils to oils with cooking. It just sits on top & helps you bake, not soak in & moisturize. Very good analogy!

4. Urban Decay Basics I'm ok with matte, but these were just too blah for me & they don't have the pigment & consistency like other UD palettes (I'm obsessed with naked 1&2). 

5. Philosophy Purity left my skin feeling tight. Maybe it's ok if you use another cleanser after, and use it just for makeup removal, but I haven't tried it like that. 

6. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer did not work well for my skin. I didn't get any coverage & the oil-free version still felt heavy & sticky. I jsut started using the Hourglass TM & am really into it. 

7. Korres lip butters not moisturizing enough for my lips

8. Just about any/every clinique &/or murad product. They jsut don't do much for my skin. & the Clinique makeup is so blah. 

I'm sure there's more... but these quickly came to mind. 

Can I ask a question about the UD naked palettes. You state you don't own them & won't, so how do you know if you like them or not? 

aleishamaxime

(0) Hearts

ugh murad makes my skin so irritated 

runy

Your #2, #3, #5, #8

I wrote the first review for the bobbi brown gel liner and I wrote basically what you wrote, and people marked it as "un-helpful" because they didn't agree with me!!

Purity broke me out like a monster.  I had no clue that's what caused it.  When I stopped my skin went back to normal but had to deal with months of acne scarring!

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

i know it says not to ask people to try things, BUT purity is amazing, the original formula messed up my skin too, but they make a gel it kinda feels like glue and its made with oil instead of alchohol (thats what the girl at sephora told me)

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?skuId=1392679

DanaKontnik

I too, LOVE the gel formula. Right after I blot my face dry with a hand towel I can feel my skin tighten a bit BUT I immediately apply the Take A Deep Breath oil-free moisturizer that my Purity Gel Cleanser was bundled with and the tightness is immediately gone and my skin is glowing. LOVE it! I use it morning and night. My skin texture has improved and my skin appears more radiant. Plus I have ZERO breakouts. I LOVE this stuff. 

DTalksAll

I tired this one & it made my skin feel more dry than the original :smileysad: 

starletta8

I'll be speaking about my experience before having to switch to creams and eyeshadow sticks in March. I won't be purchasing another powder eyeshadow in my life due to vision issues.

While I never bought, I certainly swatched and tried the palettes over and over. The range of colors is not for me.  I found it well, less than exciting (to be polite), and couldn't imagine investing that much money in something that made me yawn.  I just don't find it to be the answer for everything.

DTalksAll

fair point. I was never into neutrals until I invested in the first naked. 

I forgot you switched to creams only due to eye issues.

bearsmom

Laura Merier tinted moisturizer.  I can't explain what I didn't like about it, it just wasn't the right texture.  There are also several products that have a slight scent and give me migraines.  

kenny

Honestly I have not tried anything from Covergirl that was any good. People often rave about their mascara etc. but they are some of the worst products I've tried, not even worth the drugstore price. I've tried a few of their more popular products but I just don't understand why people like them, especially since so many other affordable drugstore brands make excellent quality products.

Also Boscia's Black Mask. I got it in one of their sample/travel sets. I've used it many times, but it seems like it's just pulling dead skin off my face. It doesn't seem worth the price, since a good exfoliator would have the same effect

kimmi1115

(0) Hearts

I think I only like two Covergirl products out of all that I tried lol.  I absolutely hated the Lash Blast in the orange tube, which I think is their most popular one.  It was horrible! lol.

bearsmom

Funny you said that about Covergirl Mascara, I have never tried one I like!!!  

annonymous1

[ Edited ]

Personally, all these BB & CC creams, i understand they do wonderful things for some people but me they just turn my skin into an oily mess and make me look orange and greasy and i don't even have oily skin! they made me breakout worse, maybe it was just me but idk i'm not a fan. 

Badgal Plum mascara, i go to brow bar and the girl reccomended it so i bought it and it literally makes NO difference whatsoever, i do have light green eyes so i assumed the plum would do something but nope. 

Benefit Highbrow, - made my eyebrows look weird i loved it at first but didnt made the arched effect it just made them look oily. 

Obsessvie compulsive cosmetics lip tar, people rant and rave about this product and i don't like it at all it it not pigmented at all and didnt stay on. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 185 replies
  • 356 hearts
  • 89 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • DTalksAll