starletta8

Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

Alright, this is a thread that I've thought about starting for a long time but have been trying to consider how best to approach it without starting a flame war or offending anyone.

Disclaimer: this thread is not for people who love these products to try to convince those who don't love their favorites that they're wrong, to try again, etc.  Trying to make anyone feel bad for their opinion will not be tolerated. Nor will "beauty evangelizing." Likewise, please remain polite when you talk about the products you just don't like.

So, what products do you go against the beauty grain?  What are those consensus favorites that you just don't like?

I'll start.

I'm just not a fan of the Urban Decay Naked palettes. I know they're widely considered a HG product and everyone "has to have them!".  I understand why they're considered a value from an intellectual perspective.  But I don't own any of them, and won't. I often bite my tongue because they seem to be the only answer repeated thread and after thread.

serioustree

Re: Going Against the Grain: Products Others Rave Over, You Don't

My aunt used to sell Avon products and says even she doesn't use the products...

runy

Philosophy Purity.  It doesn't even do a good job removing makeup or cleansing but not only that it broke me out like crazy.  I will never use or recommend that product to anyone.

Philosophy body washes.  They smell good in the bottle but they don't leave any fragrance on the skin.  I know they say that's part of their purpose but why would I want to smell red velvet cake in the shower and not smell like one myself?

serioustree

Honestly, smelling th red velvet cake would make me want to eat some lol

WhereYouStand

I'm guilty of hating the Philosophy Brand scents they are just too strange for me for instance animal cracker scented anything Bleh! yeah I think it's more of a name brand gimmick then anything else for the teen boppers out there but that's just me. & Clinique mascara something about it bleeds into my eyes after a couple of hours and I literally have to pick strings of it off the eyes and then want to hurl from the grossness of actually touching my eyes with my fingers. & thinking about all the bacteria I am transferring to them from touching them so directly 

WhereYouStand

I'm guilty of hating the Philosophy Brand scents they are just too strange for me for instance animal cracker scented anything Bleh! yeah I think it's more of a name brand gimmick then anything else for the teen boppers out there but that's just me. 

serioustree

omg... yeah... anything from the Yes To line burns my face. 

I got a Caudelie Cleansing and Lip duo for christmas and oh goshy that thing just tore my face apart. I had a ton or redness, it burned and I flaked for two weeks following. 

beautytester

Oh I had the same reaction! Redness, sensitivity, itchy and flaky patches....T.T.... the cleansing water and lip I had no problem with, tho not my favorite, but the reaction occurred when I introduced Caudalie serum/moisturizer into my regimen. I'm not sure if it's one or both product, or if it's reacting to my toner etc, but right now I'm back to my old standby of Clinique/Origins. Not trying anything new until my skin's back to normal.

clarks18

@serioustree

Covergirl has my heart when it comes to mascara.  Especially for the price and the coupons.  I will only stray away from them if they change their formulas or if I have another Dior Show experience.

serioustree

@clarks18

I TOO LOVE COVERGIRL MASCARAS. plus there are coupons out there, so you can always get them cheaper than what their price actually is. Haha

clarks18

I agree with everyone who said the UD Naked palettes.  I'm never been one to get that excited about a bunch of neutral shadows.  A lot of people love them but to me they are just another palette. 

I had a horrible experience with Dior mascara the ended up sending me to the eye doctor.  It was the most flakey, dry, and crumbly mascara I have ever used.  I only used it once and it clumped so bad that a piece got into my eye and made it's way behind my eyeball.  The eye doctor had to remove it after I tried for 45 mins and failed miserably to get it out.  Maybe I just had a bad tube but still....never again Dior Show mascara!  I'll stick to my Covergirl that no one else seems to be a fan of ha! 

Also the Sugar lip balm.  Not a fan and frankly it's a little expensive for what it is....  I'll be the first person to drop major bucks on awesome makeup products but chapstick....not so much. 

I really enjoy seeing all the products that people are not crazy about.  It's refreshing and a nice change of pace.  Sometimes you need to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly before buying a product.

runy

OMG clarks what a nightmare!  I always fear this happening!  I wear contacts too which make my eyes super sensitive so anytime something gets in there I freak out.

kenny

I agree with the lip balm also! I have a really hard time wrapping my head around paying that much for lip scrubs and lip balms. I do have sample sizes of them, but I can't justify the price when I can make my own lip scrub and there are many cheaper lip balms

starletta8

Yikes, I can see why that would scare you off of Dior mascara!

And I'm glad someone else is enjoying hearing the (polite) expressions of going against the grain. We're all about love here at BT, but we can't all love everything at once!

For the record, I'm with you on Sugar lip balm. I love the scrubs, but don't find the balm to be overly hydrating or worth full price.

annonymous1

i got it as a deluxe sample, which is fine but i would not pay for that otherwise especially if you can so easily make your own

beautytester

Oh I got a sample of it before and made a dupe. If you like Fresh sugar lip scrub, just put brown sugar in a Sephora sample jar, add a couple drop of oil (olive, grapeseed, sesame etc), then add however much vaseline/rose salve needed so the sugar comes together and is not crumbly. Done. That's what I've been using so far.

prosopon

Thanks for the easy DIY!

serioustree

@starletta8 ooOOoooo what's your favorite TM?

starletta8

Bobbi Brown Oil Free Tinted Moisturizer.

Then again, it's tough for me to find a foundation match.  I can actually wear the TM to work and just not wear blush to have a total natural look.

I tried Laura Mercier before that (nope, not a fan) and NARS (again, no- I couldn't find the right mix of shade and undertones).

starletta8

To add more products:

BB Creams- Until being introduced to my new favorite TM, I would've lumped all TMs in with BB creams. I haven't found a BB that does anything great for my skin- and the US-based ones tend to be too dark.

MUFE Foundation: I see this being recommended as a full-coverage foundation.  I see that being the case. However, I've never had a product break me out like that before!

starletta8

A couple others:

Benefit Bad Girl Lash/They're Real!: Again, I know people rave about Benefit everything, but especially these mascaras. I didn't find them to be anything special- or really a good buy.

Most Benefit Products: I think the packaging is adorable... but aside from a couple of products I like (Boi-ing, Dandelion), I find the line to be all about packaging and not worth the pricepoint.  I know lots of people rave, but I just can't get behind the hype.  I've certainly tried!

roxystar4

@starletta8 I agree with you about Benefit being about packaging. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 174 replies
  • 332 hearts
  • 84 in conversation
    • AmyC
    • runy
    • katie1724
    • itscarin
    • kenny
    • dannyc