veronika23

Giving Back - BT Pledge

So I just had an idea pop in my head that I'd like to share with all of you.  We all love make-up and we all spend a great deal on it.  Starting in January how would you guys feel if we all put 5$ to10$ aside each month that we would normally spend on make-up and in December 2014 give it away to a charity/family in need etc.

We could all pledge here that we will do so and next December we can all share where we donated our money. 

Anybody willing to do this?

veronika23

Re: Giving Back - BT Pledge

That's great!  Even better since I'm sure they always need and appreciate the help! :smileyhappy:

Candy357

I already take care of my own stray cat colony. So it takes oodles of moneys. :smileyhappy: I do donate here and there when I can to ASPCA and the Humane Society.

Good idea of course. 

sulfate

Nice to find a partner in crime.  I take care of a colony too!!!!  A labor of love.  

Candy357

yay!!! Love to hear and know of other fellow feral cat lovers. 

veronika23

Wow!  That's a lot of work!  Thank you for looking after them and donating :smileyhappy:

Candy357

Thank you hun.

veronika23

You know I was ignorant about feral cats... Well I mean I didn't know such a thing existed... That there was colonies of cats living on the streets.  I don't know why I didn't know about it or thought about it.  I guess in my head if they are in the streets they get rescued... Anyways needless to say I feel like an idiot. I'm gonna tell you a little story... 

Last year during the winter months I went with my mom to a shop located in a more industrial area.  The shop was closed and so was everything around it.  I saw a few cats roaming around and was like where do they live?  Wasn't an area where they could be someone's cats.  I mean there are houses but further away... and then I saw a few more cats, and a few more.  I think I saw over 20.  Right away I go into panic mode... So I called the SPCA and they told me to call the city, call the city they tell me to call the SPCA... Like seriously wtf passing the buck? I didn't know what to do... frantic and crying I decided to call my friend who rescues animals.  She told me to do a research on the internet to see if there was any big rescues close by for cats. She couldn't think of any on the spot and she also doesn't live in the city or equipped to deal with that amount.  So when I got home I started looking and e-mailed a bunch of places.  I just couldn't live with myself seeing these cats in the cold... A few places got back to me and one of them told me they knew about this colony and was taking care of them. They explained to me what they do and how it works.  So yeah my hat off to both you ladies for doing that.  I realized it was a lot of work and it exposed me to another way of caring for animals.  I know the animals appreciate it and I appreciate what you do. Thank you! <3

Candy357

Awww it's ok!! Thank you for sharing that. You cared though and that was sweet. 

For me, hey don't feel bad, I had no idea this was a thing, for years we kept it secret or tried to. Fearing the city laws would have us shut down because before they didn't like us caring for them. NOW it is much easier and people fight for you and I am so happy to see others doing the same. I just love it. 

So it is ok! 

Hugs. 

veronika23

[ Edited ]

awww hugs back!  :smileyhappy:

I'm glad it got easier for you.  I really wish more people would know of smaller organizations and that city laws would make it easier for people who want to take care of them.

lilahtov

I won't participate in this directly, but I do give a portion of my (humble) student's earnings to the Humane Society, because I'm very involved in the fundraising side of things. Or, I try to be :smileyhappy: I highly recommend donating to HSUS over, say, PETA even if you're an animal lover. If you truly love animals, you'll know that Peta's money doesn't often go to good efforts...

sulfate

[ Edited ]

I personally don't donate to PETA but in my opinion they definitely have served a very important role in the animal rights movement even though some of it is very controversial and at times misguided. I absolutely respect your opinion and am in NO way trying to start anything.  I'm just much older and remember what PETA was able to do when they started.  If not for more radical organizations, most change never comes about in any movement, unfortunately. Back in the day, I remember driving by NIH and seeing the crazy kids with signs about torturing monkeys.  They were able to bring light to what goes on when nobody really knew at the time, and subsequently, animals have many more protections than they ever did.  They didn't do it alone and it was certainly not enough, but their voice, in my opinion, had a lot of impact.  And yes, they also turn off a lot of people too but I think that is the case with any movement.. the squeaky wheels are needed but the general population are turned off by them.   Now having said all that, you might know a about a lot of negative things I'm not aware of because I haven't followed them in a decade.    I'd be interested to hear too.  

lilahtov

[ Edited ]

Sulfate, I encourage intellectual debate in person or online as long as it's respectful and good-natured, so it's absolutely no problem! I probably would have donated to PETA in its earlier years, but I wouldn't go near it for the lottery jackpot now. There is good AND bad in every organization/charity/nonprofit/etc., usually with the former outweighing the latter. Sadly, I think PETA has tipped onto the "bad egg" scale for a variety of reasons; namely, contradictory practices regarding the treatment of animals. "Practice what you preach" would certainly be apropos here!

Frankly, I'm just so happy you want to stay informed. So few people care nowadays. They act as though as long as it's not THEIR fur-child, it doesn't matter to them, which saddens and angers me.

veronika23

You don't have to do it :smileywink:  Thanks for giving back though :smileyhappy:  There's isn't a lot of big organizations I will give my money to...  It's all good for the people who want to do this and decide to give to someone or an organization they see fit :smileyhappy:

Where does PETA's money go anyway?

ladymeag

Largely? Advertising campaigns and celebrity sponsorships. Look up information on PETA's shelter practices - they dispose of an abnormally large number of "rescued" pets. 

lilahtov

You hit the nail on the head! Tell your friends, ladies--Peta is not as innocent as it makes itself out to be.

ChicDabbler

True dat, I eat meat and wear leather but I'm perfectly fine with organizations that oppose those, except for PETA. They support and do euthanize a ton of animals, which to me is a bit troubling and seems a tad contradictory to how intensely/drastically they oppose some of the issues...

lilahtov

Agreed, completely!

sulfate

Wow, I didn't know they even had shelters, not to mention disposing of animals.  Thanks for sharing.  

Big organizations drive me nuts because they spend so much on mailers/fundraising/salaries etc.  I know it needs to be done, and that's why we've all heard of the few big organizations which do so much good, but it's still hard to come to terms with.

lilahtov

Sulfate, yes. I know it's annoying. In fact, when I helped to plan a fundraising gala with the HSUS (the gala in itself is a questionable effort, I know), we had the option to just do an email invite. Of course, some people (more than you may think) prefer the real deal in their real mailbox, which means paying $$ for invitations and everything. No big organization can do 100% right, but I can attest to the fact that HSUS tries their little butts off! :smileyvery-happy:

veronika23

Thank you girls for sharing your knowledge. Very much appreciate! :smileyhappy:

spoiledbrat

I am in - i will donate dollar for dollar what i spend on makeup, perfume, etc to small independent Animal Shelters and Wounded Warriors.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 126 replies
  • 460 hearts
  • 40 in conversation
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • daisies121
    • prettyinpa
    • killahbabe
    • anaa