BeautyJunkie325

Fire fighters - face palm

So I just went to take a civil service test to qualify for an administrative position in my city school district.  They held the testing at the largest of our local firehouses.   I was doing the little happy dance, i mean seriously firemen.  I get there about 10 min before the test is suppose to start, sign in and sit in the back row by the windows.  Okay so there I am in a conference room with like 28 women and 1 older man And I hear this noise.  I look back and there are like 10 bees/yellow jackets buzzing around the windows and ceiling.  So I raise my hand and tell the woman administering the test about the bees.  Everyone else is looking at the bees and whispering like we are in school.  

She goes and gets the fire chief, he gets 4 other fire fighters, they come in look at the bees, look at us, look at the bees, count the bees, count us, look at the bees.  Finally one says, "yep, they're bees."  Then walks out of the room and closes the door.  The chief comes back in and says they called the exterminator, but there really isn't anything they can do now.  I move up a few rows, then another guy comes in and says, "Don't worry we have a rig and epi-pens."  So during the test we are all looking at the bees off and on.  The administrator goes back and kill a few with a book. By the time I finished my test I was sure I did terrible because all I wanted to do was get out of that room And away from the bees.

I call my BFF to tell her that the five 6ft tall fire guys looked at the bees, counted them and left, but the 5 ft tall woman started killing them.  Her response, "Just because the fire fighters aren't afraid to run into a burning building doesn't mean they aren't afraid of a few bees."  Face palm!

waterbaby1981

Re: Fire fighters - face palm

(0) Hearts

you'd think they would've moved you to another room at least.  I mean, if there's obviously more than a couple of bees, it would be logical to assume there's likely a nest, especially if they called an exterminator.

Although, at least it wasn't hornets.  Those don't NEED a reason to go after someone.  Ever.

neko333

(0) Hearts

Bees aren't anything to be scared of. I probably would have done the same thing as the fire fighters. Unless you are a person with serious allergies you'll be fine. Overall most bees will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Swatting and killing them probably isn't the smart move unless you really want to tempt an angry swarm. I've never been stung and I have them land on me frequently. Some even let me pet them, I just stay calm. I often have had to catch bees and throw them out of a room because someone was really worried because they were allergic. Disturbing them is never the smart move. I think the fire fighters were right and the woman was wrong. Swatting at bees is the equivalent of wearing all red and running from a bull. 

LadyInWhite

(0) Hearts

If you've never been stung, how do you know you're not allergic?  My uncle's allergic, but he's the only one, so you can't go off of your family's reactions.

neko333

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I have no clue (I have even less clue about my family), but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. It's possible, it's just not likely. It's even less likely that I'm severely allergic. People all the time claim to be "allergic" and freak out, unless it's an allergy that needs serious medical attention it's no biggy. It's probably not comfortable but unless it's life threatening I'm not going to change my approach to bees. After all it's worked for 20 years. 

BeautyJunkie325

(0) Hearts

4 of the women in the room were allergic, one had her own epi-pen.  It would have been one thing if I was outside and there were bees, but being in a closed room with 10 bees flying around the room is totally no bueno for me.  

neko333

(0) Hearts

The one with the epi-pen is probably the most allergic, and if she is really allergic she has good reason to be cautious. Being in a small room is even worse. Just let me smack at the things that will certainly fly towards somebody. Yellow Jackets are aggressive anyway so aggravating them is a horrible idea. I've never seen anyone get stung from just ignoring them (unless they accidentally sit on them or something). However I've seen many people get stung trying to kill or frantically avoid them. I just think the fire fighters were actually taking the more logical route. I'm sure they will deal with them, just not when there's a room full of frantic women that are very likely to get stung when they try. I'm not trying to be snarky or anything but I find this is a huge mistake people make and it generally backfires. 

BeautyJunkie325

I actually did okay.  I came in 25 out of 138. 

crayzeeRN

Yay, congrats!

LadyInWhite

Bravo!  And now you can put on your resume "Will remain calm and do paperwork under duress." 

LadyInWhite

That's dreadful (and funny.  Sorry).  Can you retake the test?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • waterbaby1981
    • neko333
    • crayzeeRN
    • BeautyJunkie325
    • LadyInWhite