chocopudding

Finished running the BMO Half Marathon in Vancouver -- in the rain!

Vancouver is known for its rainy days, but we didn't bank on it raining today! :smileyhappy: Any BTers in Vancouver who ran this (or the 8K, or Full) today? :smileyvery-happy:

notcreative

Re: Finished running the BMO Half Marathon in Vancouver -- in the rain!

Amazing.  This is a great accomplishment!  

chocopudding

Thanks, notcreative! :smileyhappy: It's funny to see this pop up after a few months! I'm doing the Lululemon Half in the endof  August, and I definitely haven't been training as hard....gah....

heartsmyface

Hey that's awesome!  My friend ran that!!!! Then we went to cactus club down in coal harbour to celebrate!!!

chocopudding

(0) Hearts

Thanks! :smileyhappy: That Cactus Club has a great view! :smileyhappy: Great for people watching.

quixotic

Chocopudding,

I apologize for being late with this - Congratulations! That is a truly impressive accomplishment!

chocopudding

Thank you quixotic! :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy: :smileyvery-happy:

blushnglow

Congratulations!!  I've never run Vancouver but I bet it is abeautiful course. Is it hilly? Did you put to use any of the tips from BT maekup wise?? (I remember that thread from a while ago... being a fellow runner and all it kinda stuck with me)  The rain would have put any waterproof mascara to the test :smileyhappy:

chocopudding

[ Edited ]

Thanks blushnglow! It's not super hilly (if you look at the elevation map, there's only one major hill in the beginning and little bumps here and there along the way.) I have to admit I did not try the waterproof liner because I chickened out! LOL it was raining so hard that if it did smear, I would've look prettttttty scary even before the race started. Haha. And honestly, I did not anticipate that it would rain today, so I was focused more on adapting my running gear.

Waterproof liner did work for short runs and I have two more halfs this year, so plenty of time to test! :smileywink:

What halfs have you run? =) I'm always interested in other possible locations to run in the future.

blushnglow

(0) Hearts

I don't blame you for focusing on your gear...priorities!! If you are scouting out other potential locations, there is the Rock'n roll half marathon series both here domestically and several new international destinations.  It's a pretty cool organization and you do have hard-core cult followers that hop from city to city on the "tour" to get all the bling. There are a few (like Vegas at night) which sells out every year.  

I"m kind of bias to the Chicago Marathon because the start/finish line in Grant Park is literally my back yard:smileyhappy: Fairly flat except mile 25 where there is "Mount Roosevelt".  It's actually just an overpass but at that point, it feels like a mountain. The Bank of America races (formerly sponsored by Lasalla Bank )are always very well run. The half (from rock/nroll in July) shares part of that same course of the full(October) so if it is a nice preview/practice if you want to run the full later. The crowds are unreal !!  Fully supported (GU gels twice, bananas mile21 Gatorade/med tents scattered throughout) Expos are pretty extensive too with lots of swag! Plus, lots of amazing restaurants afterwards to fuel your recovery... have I sold you on Chi-town yet?? :smileyhappy:

chocopudding

(0) Hearts

That sounds amazing!!!! Now I have to check it out! Not sure why but bananas really got my attention. Lol

We're getting our inaugural Rock n Roll half in Vancouver this fall! I might check it out. :smileyhappy:

Thanks for the input, blushnglow! 

heatherbee

Congratulations!!!  Sometimes running in the rain is nice!  I just hate having wet socks :smileyvery-happy:

chocopudding

Thanks, heatherbee! <3 I lucked out because I ran with Goretex-covered runners, so my feet stayed dry! My running partner wasn't so lucky though.....

heatherbee

Sounds like a very wise move on your part!  

chocopudding

(0) Hearts

Haha, actually, I forgot they were Goretex until I stepped into a puddle. I have two rotating pairs of shoes and the other one had worn out just before the half :smileywink:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • quixotic
    • notcreative
    • heatherbee
    • chocopudding
    • heartsmyface
    • blushnglow