DesertRose0706

Favorite Healthy Snack

With summer right around the corner I am doing my best to get into shape and start eating healthier. I am getting bored with ym usual healthy snacks and was wondering what everyone elses favorite healthy snacks are? One if mine is fresh jicama dipped in a greek yogurt dip I get from Trader Joes.

makeupmaven

Re: Favorite Healthy Snack

(0) Hearts

I can't say I eat these all the time, but pumpkin seeds are super good for you...zinc, healthy fats, and magnesium (most people are magnesium deficient). I learned this when I was fighting a cold, really helps.

Since pine nuts are so expensive (don't get me wrong, they're also super healthy), I love making pesto w/ pumpkin seeds instead...hmmm fresh basil.

kalex

(0) Hearts

I remembered this thread yesterday at Target when I spotted a big ole can of Planters Pumpkin Spice Almonds. I had to tell my fellow healthy snacker/almond lovers to go buy a can!

yellorose

I love Mary's Gone Crackers, which are available at Costco right now for a really good price! It's got all these seeds to give you omega 3's, plus a satisfying crunch and is organic & gluten free. I love hummus with veggies too but I'm too lazy to make it and really like Trader Joe's brand Mediterranean style hummus because it has a layer of olive oil, herbs, and pine nuts on top, tastes and looks more like homemade-yum-o! My weird one is canned baby corn with evoo/balsamic vinegar, sea salt, and granulated garlic powder. Can you tell I love savory snacks most?

pinklissamel

I was just introduced to couscous and that is my new favorite dish, I mix it with some rinsed kidney beans and chick peas and some sofrito sauce for a bit of flavor and yum high protein low calorie dish I can snack on and not feel guilty !!!

onomotopoeia9

hummus with veggies :smileyhappy:

melissabt

@Lylysa. Cool! I have to check those out:smileyhappy:

<3 Melissa
lylysa

This thread makes me want to hit up Costco this week and get a bag, it's a nice sized bag too, it's not 1/2 air like most big chip bags.

lolo01

Have you tried the banana dippers from Costco? Its frozen banana slices dipped in dark chocolate they are 100 calorie pack and fill you up! If you like bananas try these :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Speaking of Costco! They have popped edamame chips with sea salt! Soooo good!

yellorose

You have to try Mary's Gone crackers from Costco. Or frozen edamame boiled with salt. It's super easy.

onomotopoeia9

sounds cool! never heard or those before

lylysa

swfupload_7827134045186119558.jpg

They're from Crunchmaster and they're gluten free too!

Spyski

OH Where can I find these with no Costco around! I love edamame and sea salt! (btw my edamame plants are about 6 inches now! from the "spring break" thread a couple months ago)

Ha I'm currently noming on some wasabi peas as my "healthy" snack for the day.

lylysa

On the Crunchmaster website there's a store locator, it doesn't list out what products from the brand is sold at grocery/store locations, but it's worth a shot checking out!

Oooo, that's awesome that you're growing your own plants!

ColdVeggiePizza

Frozen grapes!

wingatprsct

I love low moisture part-skim mozarella string cheese or a tablespoon of natural peanut butter for a snack.  Natural peanut butter has less sugar but the healthy fat is satisfying.  Be careful, natural peanut butter will have to be stirred after opening and kept in the refrigerator.  Some new varieties say they are natural peanut butter, but are not if you read the label.  Hummus with whole grain crackers or veggies, low-fat turkey slice and fat free cheese slice rolled ups, and 35 pastachios (I pre-bag them to keep from overeating) all make excellent snacks. 

Sometimes when we think we are hungry, we are really thirsty.  I try to drink something before I snack. I do plan snacks intentionally between meals to keep from overeating.

Good luck!

DesertRose0706

Thank you for sharing your favorite snacks!  I got some great ideas for things to pick up next time i go grocery shopping!

starletta8

I also recently subscribed to NatureBox (Google since it's an external link).  They send healthy/natural snacks each month.  I got my first box- wow, everything is healthier and yummy! I was munching on the lemon meringue wafers at work today.

melissabt

Hi DesertRose0706,

One of my favorite snacks is edamame! It fills you up and they're so addicting. I also really like drinking kombucha (no brand in particular). I try to lay off carbs, white breads, pastas etc and sugar!. Pop chips are good snack too. Not a lot of calories per serving (just have to watch the salt).

<3 Melissa
lylysa

Melissa, you'd love the popped edamame chips from Costco!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 43 replies
  • 115 hearts
  • 26 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • connieconcon
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave
    • midniterae