DesertRose0706

Favorite Healthy Snack

With summer right around the corner I am doing my best to get into shape and start eating healthier. I am getting bored with ym usual healthy snacks and was wondering what everyone elses favorite healthy snacks are? One if mine is fresh jicama dipped in a greek yogurt dip I get from Trader Joes.

prettyinpa

Re: Favorite Healthy Snack

I make hot chocolate with almond milk (I'm lactose intolerant). If you grind up a couple of almonds and a date in the blender, then add in the almond milk and cocoa powder and blend up the mix you get a nice, rich milk substitute that is low in fat and calories and taste great. I microwave the almond chocolate for a minute or 2 to bring it up to hot cocoa temp, mmmmm!

feline5190

Also, you can use Hershey's cocoa powder (the kind that's used for baking that's only 10 calories per tbsp) and add a pinch of vanilla, honey, or cinnamon.  It takes some getting used to since it's bitter, but I actually prefer it now.  And I use the 'Special Dark' kind which may taste even more bitter to some people, but I like it and it has the antioxidant benefit!  It really curbs my chocolate cravings, and it's only 10 calories plus the calories from the milk (and if you add honey).   

rainbow781

Chobani Greek Yogurt is super good, I love adding a little bit of granola and it makes a great breakfast or snack. I also love drinking tea and I agree fruits and veggies are always a great healthy snack!

ChicDabbler

Frozen mango, blueberries, and seedless grapes are super refreshing and definitely sweet enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. I like plain whole milk yogurt in the fridge. Right after exercise I do half yogurt half mango smoothie (the Naked/Barthouse kind), then sprinkle in some cinnamon/nutmeg, super refreshing.

Other than that I've got 4-5 different kind of nuts I can snack on. The store brought granola/health bars are waaay too sugar, so I just make my own to snack or eat with yogurt/milk (some combination of sugar and oil, I usually do honey and coconut oil or maple syrup and butter, then mix with the dry ingredients: oats, nuts, dried fruit, seeds. Bake for 7min and you are done. =)

I used to chew gum all the time, but I can't now with braces, so now I snack more....T.T

midniterae

Veggies and hummus. Apples with peanut butter. Celery with peanut butter. 

kalex

@penelopeblooms - That's a flavor I've never seen!  There will be no rest until I find it now!  :smileyhappy:

@triciaann12 - Agreed on the healthy fats still being fats.  1/4c is a serving and I always measure it out.  Otherwise with that little canister sitting open it's way too easy to eat too many!

Also just remembered kale chips.  If done correctly they're really good!

penelopeblooms

I love the Blue Diamond almonds too, although the one I like is hard to find...smoked jalapeno.  If you can find them, though, it is so worth it!  :smileyhappy:

kalex

My go-to when I want something crunchy instead of chips is flavored almonds.  Blue Diamond has some awesome flavors. My favorite for spicy is the Wasabi (though Habanero BBQ is good too) and for sweet the Coconut.

fran11

I love those wasabi almonds! 

sephoramusthave

[ Edited ]

I love fruit--especially things like pears, plums, peaches, grapes, apples, cherries. Once a week I go to the farmers market and get things like that. I don't eat much veggies, but I love colorful bell peppers because they taste good with *everything*. I stay away from things like health bars because they contain just as much or more sugar than a bar of chocolate. I drink water and unsweetened tea more than anything else. And a good soup never hurts either :smileyvery-happy:

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 51 replies
  • 117 hearts
  • 33 in conversation
    • makeupmaven
    • kalex
    • connieconcon
    • lovinglondon
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoramusthave