lylysa

Father's Day Sharing!

[ Edited ]

This past Sunday was Father's Day, and though everyone has a different take on family and relationships, I want to know what you did!

Whether you celebrated your biological father, a stepfather, grandfather, brother, cousin, nephew, son, grandson, husband, friend, or any significant male in your life, how did you show some extra appreciation? I know not everyone may still have their father or celebrated male figure alive today (my friend lost her father to cancer a while back and this Father's Day her and her siblings released his ashes in memorial), but what are some of your favorite memories you shared?

My dad's never been a man for too many words unless he's with family and friends, then he turns into super loud ball of fun, but he's never been one to ask for anything or even expect grand and lavish gifts. He's often very hard to shop for on holidays and special occasions, but this year my mother and I got him some shirts that he can wear to work. Nothing fancy, just a couple of polos, he's a hard working man and more than often if he truly WANTED something, he would more than likely buy it for himself, so the shirts were a good practical gift and I know he'll get use out of them.

So tell me, Beauty Talkers! Did you Skype a conversation with dear ol' dad due to distance? Have a BBQ and gift your guy with a new pit? Did you treat him to a meal at his favorite restaurant? Was it cologne and grooming items that he got gifted with? :smileyhappy:

rikkie

Re: Father's Day Sharing!

I love the idea of this thread, what a sweet thing to post about! 

I got to chat online with my dad since we're over 2000 miles away right now. I sent him a picture of a hand-carved bear I bought to give him when I see him next and he said it made him cry, which was a million miles beyond the reaction I thought I'd get! :smileyhappy: He's impossible to buy for so I was thrilled to find the perfect thing for him.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Awwww, you brought your poppa to tears! ^_^

Do you just happen to live in separate cities or is the distance due to work or travel (if you don't mine me asking)?

rikkie

Ahahaha it's a messy situation on my end at least. My dad went off with my uncle to some fishing retreat in the middle of nowhere (northern Saskatchewan, Canada) for the summer, so they are both thrilled to be gone. My husband and I were supposed to move from Canada to San Diego in November on about two or three weeks notice(!!) but it turned out I didn't have all my immigration stuff in order so I've been renting a little beachfront apartment south of Tijuana so my husband can visit me on the weekends. My parents visited me a couple months ago though, it was so good to see them!

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Wowie! :smileytongue: I'm sure all the change in plans is at least allowing some great changes in scenery!

rikkie

That is the one thing I can't argue with! I have 180 degrees of ocean to see and dolphins swim by every day if you watch for them, as well as the occasional seal and even whale. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

Wow!!! I can only imagine! It sounds beautiful!

rikkie

weekend.png

This isn't right in front of my house (apparently I only take pictures at home on cloudy days??) but a bit south of here last weekend. :smileyhappy:

crayzeeRN

<insert jealousy here> :smileyvery-happy:

rikkie

Of course the grass is always greener somewhere else and I would  trade places with anyone in a heartbeat if it got me across the border! Today we found out that one of the forms we filed has a new version and an old version that are both being accepted currently but they are reviewing all of them under the new guidelines. We sent in the old version after reading the old rules and so we were informed we would need to resubmit the whole thing and wait up to 20 business days for processing because my husband signed the thing in BLUE ink and now the rule is black only! I was so mad I could have strangled a dolphin! :smileytongue: Apparently a supervisor agreed when my husband called that it was ridiculous and will try to get it accepted but honestly, what a mess. 

crayzeeRN

Got to love paperwork and technicalities :smileysad: Sorry to hear about the delays and frustrations!!

rikkie

Aww, thanks. I think it's almost over, just need to get this form sorted out and they can send my papers off to the Embassy in Montreal and I can wait for my visa/green card interview. Maybe 6-8 weeks? I hope?

lylysa

Best of luck, that's insane that the ink COLOR could make such a difference!

Hope everything moves along smoothly!

rikkie

(0) Hearts

Thanks! I'm just about to call them wait on hold half an hour so they can tell me it still hasn't been looked at I'm sure.

Titian06

@melissabt - I would be happy with a box of chocolates from See's, too!

My father passed away 19 years ago.  Fathers' Day is just another day for me.

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Well, I hope that day was a good one nonetheless! :smileyhappy:

sephoralovex

I sent my dad a fathers day card with a lot of writing! Since I don't live in the same state as him. He never wants anything so I didn't get him anything particular. He's never been big on gifts and if he wants something (so rare) he usually will want to buy it himself. I did speak on the phone with him for a while on Fathers Day though. :smileyhappy:

lylysa

(0) Hearts

Was it a funny card or a sweet one? Sometimes a good ol' invested talk is the best!

sephoralovex

Defiantly a sweet one. Thanking him for all the help he's ever done and being such a great supportive father and always believing in me :smileyhappy: haha

lylysa

That's awesome! It's always a great feeling when you have those around you who offer love and support!

starletta8

We're doing it a week late!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 32 replies
  • 41 hearts
  • 11 in conversation
    • prettyinpa
    • sephoralovex
    • melissabt