tenngal

Fashion Hits and Misses...Embarrassing & Funny Stories

[ Edited ]

I went on a shopping trip with my Mom recently which turned out to be a hilarious experience for me, so I thought I’d post it and I thought it’d be interesting to hear from all of you about some of your great and not-so-great shopping / fashion experiences.  For instance, one of my big mistakes was when I bought this pair of shiny ruby red super high heels that remind me of Dorothy's red shoes in the Wizard of Oz (ha, ha!).  I thought they were pretty at the time...I think I wore them once and came to my senses. :smileyvery-happy:

This is my most recent shopping experience:  My Mom and I usually go shopping together once a week because it’s a fun way for us to spend time together and for both of us to get out of our houses for a while and just have fun.  My Mom and I were shopping the new spring clothing lines and Mom called me over to look at “how ugly” some of this season’s dresses are and she wanted to show me one dress in particular that she thought was especially ugly.  Well, it turned out that I loved the dress that she thought was the ugliest, but it was in the Women’s Department so none of them would fit.  I told Mom that I was sure they must have the dress in my size and I was going to keep looking for it because it would make a perfect dress to wear Easter Sunday.  Mom said she felt sure that I’d be wasting my time and we should leave (ha, ha)…that was her way of trying to stop me from looking for the dress in my size.  I kept looking and I thought I’d found it in my size, but it was in the Petite Department which wouldn’t fit me either.  Mom said that we should go because I wouldn’t want to wear that dress on Easter Sunday and she was sure they didn’t have my size anyway (ha, ha).  So I kept looking and finally found it in the Misses Department in my size, which disappointed my Mom terribly.  I tried it on and she hated it even more and I loved it even more once I tried it on.  Mom finally said she would be very embarrassed to walk into church with me in that dress (ha, ha).  I ended up buying the dress and can’t wait to wear it.  My Mom has been making comments over the past couple of weeks like “You should try that dress on again cause you may not like it now” and “If you try it on with shoes you may not like how it looks” and "Maybe you should try that dress on again cause it may not fit like you thought" and "Maybe we can find a dress that you'll like better than the one you bought" and so on still trying to get me to return the dress (ha, ha).  I love the more unusual types of clothing that are in style nowadays and usually Mom just makes a face at what I’m wearing, but this dress has been tormenting her at the thought of me wearing it.  In case you’re wondering what my Mom hates so much and what I like, here’s a picture of the dress:

ND® New Directions Tiered Ruffle Sleeve Burnout Dress

Anyway, I may look back on it one day and wonder what I was thinking, but for now I love the dress! :smileyhappy:

I’m anxious to hear from all of you ladies about your fashion hits and misses, so post away…:smileyhappy:

Manda

Re: Fashion Hits and Misses...Experiences with Clothing & Accessory Purchases

I had a major one today, which was pretty amusing.  Trying to find an Easter Dress for an extremely petite woman is hard.  I must have tried on at least 20 dresses in two hours.  Luckily, I found something I loves, which was located in the juniors.

officegal

@prettyinpa & @tenngal - AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! Ohhhh, gawd. I thought my "accidentally topless" story was embarrassing but it's nothing compared to you guys! :smileyvery-happy: (I was babysitting once and took the kids to the community pool. I wore a slightly big one piece and the straps came off when we went underwater. I kept the boy's head dunked underwater while I made myself decent. He asked me after why I tried to drown him.)

anaa

Ha ha...reminds me of when I visited my daughter in LA the first time.  I didn't realize the Pacific Ocean is a little bit rougher than the Atlantic...came up after a wave hit me missing the top of my suit.  Of course she was mortifed and said "Moooooooooooooommmm!"   Children are so easily embarassed by their mother..  :smileyvery-happy:

tenngal

@officegal:  I thought your wedge-heel boot story was hilarious and now the pool incident...I wonder if the little boy told his mom the babysitter tried to drown him once you took him home? Ha, ha!!! :smileyvery-happy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@anaa:  Ha, ha!!!  I just don't understand why kids get so embarassed over us mom's so easily! LOL! :smileyvery-happy:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@bridalwreath:  Trying on 20 dresses in under 2 hours...you must be Wonder Woman...I would have been exhausted! :smileyhappy:  Glad you found your Easter Dress just in time! :smileyhappy:

Manda

It was exhausting.  I nearly broke out in tears though, especially because a lot of stores don't have younger looking clothing for petite women.

officegal

Aww, bridalwreath! :smileysad:

I understand your dilemma. I have a sister who is extremely petite (even from the petite section she's maybe a size 0) and it is so difficult finding clothes for her. I cheered really loudly when Banana Republic finally came out with their petite sizing and Aritzia (store for petite girls in Canada) opened up. But the options are still very narrow. :smileysad:

Check out this blog called "Extra Petite" - she has great taste and has some good tips and advice.

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@katimae:  LOL!  That's funny about your doctor's office and the clumsiness!  After reading some of the stories posted I may still be the clumsiest person in the world but I know I'm not the only clumsy one, ha ha! :smileyhappy:  I agree with you about the ocean...if you've lived long enough and visited the ocean enough times it's bound to pull your bathing suit off eventually, ha ha!  By the way, thanks for the compliment about my dress.  I know that it is a little out there for a lot of people, but my sense of style is very colorful.  Seriously, I am a very shy person and I guess that I compensate for my shyness with my colorful clothing and makeup. :smileyhappy:

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@bridalwreath:  I am not petite, but my daughter is only 5-feet tall, so I understand how difficult it is trying to find petitie clothing.  My daughter is not skinny so it makes it even harder to find petite clothing to fit her.  I'm so glad that you found your dress, but I hate that it was so stressful!  I think stores need to cater to petite ladies more. :smileyhappy:

Manda

(0) Hearts

Yes, stores do need to cater more to not-so-average sized women.  I'm about 4'11 and I fit in a size 0 pants.  I wouldn't be surprised if I was a 00.

tenngal

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

@katimae:  ROTFLMAO!  I forgot to say that I about fell out of my chair when I read your story about the zebra-print bra! LOL!!!  That'll be a picture that'll stick in your mind for a long time, ha ha!!! :smileyvery-happy:

tenngal

[ Edited ]

OK, so here's a pic of my Easter dress with me in it.  It's not a very good pic, but you can get an idea (ha, ha). 
Easter Dress 2011.jpg

I should have used my 15% discount on some self-tanner cause my legs are blindingly white (ha, ha)!  I have some sitting in my shopping basket now after seeing this picture! LOL! :smileyhappy:

katimae

@tenngal:  you look awesome!  Love the dress. It looks very "Easter-y" w/ the pink!  Like I said before, I don't think it's too outragous, I think you and the dress are beautiful!

@ Pretty: I know!  It's 80 ddegrees here too! It's awesome!  We had crazy thunderstorms last night though.  The type that put the tv out and make you jump b/c the lightning is so close.  But it's going to be 80 again today and I'm thrilled!  I never used a self tanner, I woulden't know where to start.

katimae

@tenngal:  I'd love that ring too!!!

katimae

I just turned my Avatar into one of my Fashion hits!  It's my permanent Lei.  It started very small covering a scar on my hip (from a car accident I was in) when I was 25.  I got it  at Avalon Tattoo in San Diego.  All the rest was done recently when I was 40 at Totem Tattoo by Buffalo Bill.  It took 6 months, three hours a week.  Yes it hurt.  I'm so glad summer is here so I can display it again.  It made me not care about being overweight. You should look at it up close if you can.  It's beautiful.

tenngal

@katimae:  OMG!  I love your tattoo!!!  I've always wanted to get one, but I've never been able to decide where to put it or what I want and once it's done, it's done.  So until I can make up my wishy-washy mind I guess I'll never get one, ha ha.  I'd love to see it up close, but from what I can tell it is absolutely magnificent!  Thanks for sharing it with us! :smileyhappy:

tenngal

(0) Hearts

@katimae:  I figured out how to enlarge your avatar so I could see the detail of the tat and it's amazing!  You rock girl!!! :smileyhappy:

prettyinpa

[ Edited ]

Ooh, that's awesome!  When I first saw your new picture I thought it was a cool sweater for spring! 

I have a needle & blood phobia, I think I would pass out if I walked through the door of a tattoo parlor, but I can truly admire anyone who can take pain like that!

And congrats on your body love, everyone should thank their bodies each day!

prettyinpa

@tenngal- Gee, you look great in your dress! What a pretty photo!

I gotta get my legs self-tanned too, it is in the high 80's again today and I look like a ghost in my shorts!

officegal

@tenngal - You look GREAT!! I stood with your mom on mocking the dress, but I totally take it back. Seriously, you are rocking it, lady! :smileyhappy:

katie1724

[ Edited ]

@tenngal: I love that dress! Did your mother grow to like it more, or was she still wary?

@prettyinpa: My legs are always blindingly white, and even self-tanner barely takes them from blinding to pale. I give up! (I usually don't wear shorts, though, because it gets warm enough for shorts in SF approximately 3 days a year.)

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 48 replies
  • 86 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • sarithor
    • officegal
    • prettyinpa
    • ohhenri