GothGirl00

Ever thought of dyeing your hair red,blue,white,pink,purple,etc? How about a tattoo ?

Just wondering.... And if you know, how old do you have to be to get a piercing without your parents permission? 18?

mityren

Re: Ever thought of dyeing your hair red,blue,white,pink,purple,etc? How about a tattoo ?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Ahh to be young again! I got 5 ratios when I was 18 and kept my hair cut and colored crazy. I loved purple hair. Back them it was all temporary. Permanent you had to go to a salon or at least I only found temporary. I had my nose , eyebrow and tongue pierced. And my ears triple pierced with the top cartilage pieced on one ear.

If you get a tatoo please be careful what you get. Winnie the pooh was cute when I was 18 but not so cute at 36. :/  also I still have all those holes or scars of the. Especially my eyes brow. It scarred over weird. 

charpic

Re: Ever thought of dyeing your hair red,blue,white,pink,purple,etc? How about a tattoo ?

(0) Hearts

Back in the middle ages, aka, middle school, I biked 2 miles away to Rite-Aid to buy purple hair dye.  I had no idea how to use, and the instructions didn't instruct that I was supposed to bleach my hair first before dying it.  Whoop-dee-do, used the purple dye on my hair, washed it off, THEN bleached my hair, left the bleach in too long, and ended up with a rainbow on my head.  Silvery white, red, orange red, gold, and purple.  All on one head.  I have no regrets.

superNoah

(0) Hearts

I had my hair forest green for a year in high school, and now that I'm a full time student, I feel like it'd be ok to dye it back since I seriously miss it! I went through three different dyes (ie Manic Panic which sucks, splat for the blue that equally sucks, and Punky Colors my savior!) and so many mixes before I found that a touch of midnight blue with a buttload Alpine green made the perfect mix!

And I defiantly want a tattoo. I haven't found the right artist yet since I'm way particular about how the lines look and what type of ink is used. For now, my friend and I play around with mehndi and traditional designs she picked up while studying abroad in India.

To the question about piercings, I think it's up to the state you're in? I know I got my fourth ear piercing at 17 in Florida and they required my mother's permission. (Course, she laughed at me the whole time for being squeamish.)

malday

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I've had my hair magenta, red, burgundy, red-violet, purple, and a rainbow sherbet-y color (which was just my faded magenta and bleached hair haha). No tattoos but I have 6 piercings including my ear :smileyhappy: I waited until I was about 21/22 to get the non-ear piercings but I'm pretty sure you need to be 18 to go without parental consent.

malday

[ Edited ]

Hair Timeline time! I've never put all of my hair colors in a single post so here is what I've had:

Magenta:

Magenta.jpg

Which faded to:

Sherbet.jpg

Which I dyed over with purple:

383769_2702992807295_1133289675_n.jpg

Which faded to this red-violet color:

403841_2765268204141_597345998_n-1.jpg

and then into this:

Fadedpurple.jpg

Then I went burgundy:

Burgundy.jpg

Then red (I couldn't cut out batman):

RED.jpg

red2.jpg

And back to dark brown (which just looked black for a while):

542475_3956702309249_923503566_n.jpg

MK89

(0) Hearts

Gosh, you just always look pretty :smileyhappy: I actually really like the purple and red-violet!

malday

(0) Hearts

Red-violet was my FAVORITE. I wish I could have that hair color again but I'll just have to settle for it in lipstick form lol. Thank you!

IllegallyBlonde

if i had a job where I could get away with it (and a boyfriend who wouldn't think I was crazy) my hair would be this color

182114378651850696_YpcVbo9k_c_large.jpg

mityren

(0) Hearts

I love this color.

shyvicki

If it wasn't for work dress codes, I'd color my hair stoplight red and get my eyebrow pierced.

I'm 35 and have yet to get a tattoo because 1. I can't afford to get a good one and 2. I'm afraid I'd regret it later.

The "craziest" thing I have is my belly button piercing that I got when I was 20. The good thing about most piercings is that if you ever change your mind, you can just take the jewelry out and the piercing will grow back.

Candy357

My mom was always pro anything with doing things to my hair!
She got me white streaks that looked like skunk streaks! LOL
She got me a perm which was a disaster, specially starting middle
school and you are trying to fit in. NOT good.
I was so ugly betty!!!

She encouraged a lot.
Piercings too, which I can't have, some allergic reaction.

NOW the tattoo thing, she doesn't like BUT at 17 she took me to
many tattoo parlors to pick one out and finally at 18 I got one.
Now I have 6, not many, but I am so happy my mom is amazing.
She said no matter what I still see you as my lil girl and I will always
love you.
:smileyhappy:

I encourage this.
Because my cousin who has NOW sworn me off the earth, she got a tattoo.
The same one as Revenge Emily, the infiti symbol on her wrist.
WELL I HAD NO IDEA she didn't run this by her mom, mind you she is 18!
OK! And she freaking sent me the nastiest fb message, that just broke my heart.
To this day I am like wow, I knew this girl from a baby, we took care of her.
Anyway I finally just replied oh grow up, you're 18 and hiding tattoo's from your
mother. Wow, that's pretty sad.
Anyway that broke us up and I always thought we'd stay close. But hey
you never really know someone until something like this happens.

Anyway I love my mom. I am happy she is not like that, but at 18.
I know I would own up to it and just say yeah I got a tattoo.

Had to share, cause I always just cringe when I am watching
my favorite show and remember the tattoo.

1cros3nail4givn

Yep! I've thought of dip dying random streaks of my hair in very bright light colors ombre style. Like this. I still kinda love this. however I decided I love my natural golden blonde never dyed hair even better.

image.jpgYes you have to be 18 to get piercings and tattoos. When I was younger (I'm now 20) before tattoos became the super popular I wanted a tatoo on my foot. But now that it's the "cool" thing I don't want it so much anymore. However if you do want to get one. Make sure it's something you'll be okay with on you for the rest of your life. Unless you reallly want to spend the ridiculous about of money and pain to get it removed it's there forever. Think when your 80 and you have that gross wrinkles tattoo, how much will you wish you didn't get one then? Plus our bodies are gorgeous without them. 

neko333

That's my thing. I think it's seen as a rebellion/cool thing and that's why a lot of people get them. Which has not made sense in years since everybody has them. People who rebel against rebellion are the true rebels. You will catch more criticism going against the typical teenage/young adult ideology. Maybe not from elders but from peers. Adults could care less what you believe, you're a kid (unless there is concern about your well being) but your peers can ostracize you. If it's predictable it's not rebellion, in a way it's conforming. I'm sure someone could give a good reason to get a tattoo but this one is illogical. 

neko333

Tattoos are simply not something you do when you're young. If you are positive you want one pick out a design you want think of where you'd want to put it and then wait a year before doing it. When I was younger I liked peace signs, I'm not a huge fan anymore. If I had ran out and gotten a peace sign on my body just because I wanted a tattoo I'm sure I would regret it. A year sounds like a long time but it really isn't when you think this things is going to be stamped on you until the day you die. You also need to research the tattoo place. Look at their work and how clean they are. You don't want to get a disease or end up with something that you can hardly tell what it is. It's also probably good to have a design or a picture of what you want and then make them redraw it and see how they do. It is expensive to get these things removed, they leave scars, and it's one of the top cosmetic procedures to get done for a reason. Here's an excerpt from Wiki which probably isn't the best source but I'm not really sure where to go for accurate Tattoo statistics, regardless it say's some things that need to be considered.

A poll conducted in January 2012 by Harris Interactive reported that 1 in 7 (14%) of the 21% of American adults who have a tattoo regret getting one. The poll didn't report the reasons for these regrets, but a poll that was done 4 years prior reported that the most common reasons were "too young when I got the tattoo" (20%), "it's permanent" and "I'm marked for life" (19%), and "I just don't like it" (18%). An earlier poll showed that 19% of Britons with tattoos suffered regret, as did 11% of Italians with tattoos.[1] Surveys of tattoo removal patients were done in 1996 and 2006 and provided more insight. Of those polled, the patients who regretted their tattoos typically obtained their tattoos in their late teens or early twenties, and were evenly distributed by gender. Among those seeking removals, more than half reported that they "suffered embarrassment". A new job, problems with clothes, and a significant life event were also commonly cited as motivations.[2]

I put hot red streaks in my naturally red hair one time. It was not for me as I do not dress specifically in one way everyday. I have plenty of clothes that would be considered punk or goth. However I have lots of clothes that are more feminine and some things that are just southern looking. Let me tell you if you get dressed to the nines and have some funky color in your hair it looks off. I had to go to a funeral and dressed really proper but my head didn't match my body. Also if you dye your hair get ready to wear a ton of makeup everyday. It's an unnatural look so it doesn't pair well with a natural face. I tried to find an image to demonstrate my point on this. I could not find it because every picture I found had girls wearing enough eye makeup to last me a month. I have seen it in real life though, it is a strange sight. I'll use a picture of this Asian lady because I couldn't find anything else. Now imagine her hair blue and then go back and forth covering one side of her face. It just does't work. I know everyone looks different without makeup on but unnatural hair exacerbates it.If you aren't someone who likes or has time to put on a lot of makeup everyday then this might not be for you. I suggest doing like others and trying different colored wigs and temporary hair colors first. 

upload_1607894832710280071.png

I think my point is I don't define myself as any one thing or type so I don't want to be constricted be it with dyed hair, a tattoo, or a piercing. The hair dye will eventually fade but the tattoos and the piercings will not. I encourage people to think about the choices and not do them on a whim. I'm only 20 but have been changing and growing every year and my ideas at 15 were very different so I'm sure at 30, 40, 50 and so on they will continue to change (and if they don't then something is probably wrong). And yes I believe you do have to be 18 to get a piercing without your parents permission.

I'm also going to state this, I'm not attacking anybody so don't leave me comments on why I'm wrong. Instead leave comments on why they are good to negate my negativity if you want (because every time I say anything in opposition at least one person takes it as a personal attack). 

janinebt

Couldn't agree more with this. When I was newly 18...through about 19 I ended up not doing my research and had to cover up a few tattoos due to the fact that the artists did a poor job.

I'd highly recommend researching artists and shops within your area. Also keep in mind that good tattoos are not usually cheap...and cheap tattoos are almost never good. I know so many people that have gotten tattoos that look great at first, but fade/age horribly. A good artist will have examples of not only new work, but healed pieces as well.

I'm super happy with the tattoos that I have now, but it was quite a process to get the 'mistakes' I did have fixed including more time under the needle AND laser removal...which was quite possibly the worst pain I've ever felt.

Whimsically yours,
Janine
neko333

(0) Hearts

Don't they also fade and you have to get them re-inked to keep them looking nice? I'm not completely sure about this one but if so it will add to the cost over the years.

lylysa

Yes and no.

There's tons to factor in including ink quality, the layers of your dermis the ink that penetrated to, the practice of the artist (someone not seasoned or practicing proper techniques can either keep color too close to the surface which can cause premature fading or penetrate too deep and cause color to look foggy and areas to be too saturated), proper after care and maintenance (SPF is a tattoos best friend once healed, fresh tattoos should be washed and conditioned afterward to ward off against infection and promote healthy and timely healing, this includes avoiding the pool/hot tubs, bodies of fresh water, tanning beds, etc. all during the healing process as strong UV rays and chemicals can degrade skin and affect the tattoo), and even overall skin condition and how the tattooed area takes to aging (areas that are more covered up weather better as they're not as exposed to the elements while tattoos in areas that are more prominent or even easily affected by significant weight gain or loss can affect the elasticity of skin tattooed).

For reference for anyone who is curious about laser removal for tattoos, dark colors like black, deep green, or navy are easier to remove/break down as the laser's wavelengths are more attracted and easily picked up on by the darker colors. Lighter colors like yellow, sky blue, or white are more difficult to break up as the laser cannot disperse the pigments as well as the easily-identified darker colors.

emmaclaire

(0) Hearts

Oh man coverups AND laser removal?!  That sounds like a whole lotta pain and cash - but I'm glad you love the results.  

kelsey808

(0) Hearts

I've never felt the urge to dye my hair a crazy color (although I wish I could pull something like that off!) but I did get my first tattoo (a koi fish) a couple weeks after I turned 18. It's on the back of my neck/upper back and it is pretty big for a first tattoo. It's easily hidden by most of my clothes (unless I wear low-back tops/dresses) but I love showing it off! I hated getting it done.. mine took 6 hours because of the detail and amount of color used and I'm such a wimp when it comes to pain, especially when he was going over my spine lol. I thought the outline hurt much less than the shading (most people usually say the opposite). I would love to get more but I'm waiting to see if I get into medical school before I do something that could jeopardize my future job opportunities. As for piercings, you do have to be 18 w/o permission. I had my friend pierce me before I was 18 and let's just say it's just not worth it if your parents don't approve. Now that I'm 19 I have four ear piercings on each side, my belly button pierced, and my tongue web done also! My favorite is definitely my tongue web since I only know two other people who have it, and it was also the least painful (but the most healing time)!

pipsqueek1582

(0) Hearts

I love this post! I have five tattoos...a rose on my lower back, an eagle covering most of the rest of my back ( not finished yet) my son's name on the back of my neck and a very nice one on the left side of my chest for my son ( long story...but when he was born, he "passed away" twice and I never knew if he was gonna make it another day, so I got the tat over my heart for him) and my ring finger says "taken". My hair...I've had every color in the book! My favorite is pink...that's what it is right now. And it's funny cause the other day my husband says "what kind of 31 year old, five month pregnant woman, with a six year old son and a 4.0 GPA in college has pink hair?" (He was just kidding, he really doesn't mind it!) and I said " your wife does...cause it's fun!  and most people would never guess I have any tattoos...they all cover very nicely!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 112 replies
  • 130 hearts
  • 62 in conversation
    • kalex
    • kenny
    • killahbabe
    • shyvicki
    • emmaclaire
    • pearlgirl7